Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: What did you do to your Kappa today - Part 2  (Read 858377 times)

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Re: What did you do to your Kappa today - Part 2
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
I took my kappa offroading and ripped off the Street glow light off the bottom in canada. currently ziptied to the fuel lines until I can get under to bolt it back up.

Today it is going to the body shop to get touched up before the HOF parade. This is the 4th time in the 1.5 yrs of ownership I have painted the car :lol:

And I still need to solder more wires... this thing is like a full time job!

Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
I change my spark plugs, OEM plugs are the AC 41-108. After 65k they gap at .033. I went to a colder plug.  Because I'm running the GMPP tune, with max boost over 23psi. The plug, Autolite  XP5263, equivalent to the AC 41-102.The original plug for the early 07 GXP.

The Autolite  XP5263 is not plug & play. Gap out of the box is .048. I gap then down to .035.

Did a compression test, miles 65k, from front to rear, 170, 170,165,170psi.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »
I took my kappa offroading and ripped off the Street glow light off the bottom in canada. currently ziptied to the fuel lines until I can get under to bolt it back up.

Today it is going to the body shop to get touched up before the HOF parade. This is the 4th time in the 1.5 yrs of ownership I have painted the car :lol:

And I still need to solder more wires... this thing is like a full time job!

Miller,
If you quit f'ing it up, it won't be so much work!

Really though, not sure the fuel line is the best place to zip tie anything.  And why were you off roading?

If you go thru paint that fast, have you thought about a complete vinyl wrap? Easier to repair a section....

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:48 PM »
Miller,

Really though, not sure the fuel line is the best place to zip tie anything.  And why were you off roading?

If you go thru paint that fast, have you thought about a complete vinyl wrap? Easier to repair a section....

GJ
I think the best way for him to cut down on the amount of repirs is to lose his keys!

Offline Dr. Gronk

• Master Tech
  • carpe diem incoronatus
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
I'll be the first to say neither issue was Millers fault... I heard the story and witnessed one of the issues occur.   Miller it may feel like a "full time job" but you gotta admit it's a lot more fun.
07 GXP - Trifectatated Hahn S20G - carpe diem incoronatus

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:42 AM »
Ok, I felt left out, so I did this:

not a big fan of chrome / super shiny, so I decided to try painting the heat sheild grey / silver.  I used a hammered finish paint.  I am going to be doing a few other items under the hood as well.  If the heat shield gets too hot for the paint, I'll sand it down and try a higher heat paint.  Perhaps some exhaust paint.  I'm testing a different paint on the cast piece on the turbo exhaust side, you can see it's removed in this photo.  I also will be painting / installing a few other items and repainting and reinstalling a few others. 

I didn't want to be left out of the "what did you do today" list.  Also, to make this an appropriate post, I washed and waxed the underside of the hood tonight.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:32:00 AM by Gentleman Jack »
Make the right choices now

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 03:53:45 AM »
i don't know much about painting, but my heat shield was painted by it's previous owner and it all melted with the heat. it looks horrible now.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
What you think its a bad idea to have a high voltage lamp ziptied to a fuel line??

Sounds like a great idea to me.   :kwh:

Seriously though, I need to get under the car to be repaired. None in canada eh? So I waited till i got home to go where I know they will let me pick up the car for free. Just needs a bolt replaced.

Also I drive enough miles that if you take the average kappa owners 5 year span, that is what happens to my car in a year :lol: It is all a matter of statistical probability IMO. Mine just happen at a more rapid pace due to how much I drive it. I have owned the car for 1.5 years and drove it 40k miles. With the trips I still have left this year, and daily drives to work, I will be close to the 100k mile mark. I got the car with 40k on it.

Hope to see you at the NEO event as well as the DDM openhouse! :)

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
Mounted the new tires to the new wheels and dropped them off at the body shop.  The car officially goes in for fender work on Monday:) Also got word that my LV chassis brace has shipped.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
I have barely over 20k miles and I will be on my 3rd bumper and fascia.
Both times though, I was at a complete stop.

Thankfully I always leave space between me and the car in front of me.  Neither instance did I become the middle car.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
?
Ive have a reoccurring issue on my front fascia where the paint is cracking after I had the fascia replaced when I had My wreck.  The dealership is fixing it again but they say the problem is not the paint but that the bumper flexes too much when they put it on and after it's on causing the paint to crack.  I say there feeding me a bunch of BS since the factory paint has no issues as well as others that have repainted there front fascias without issues.
Thoughts?

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Bring it elsewhere.
That should not be an issue.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »
I told the body shop MGR over the phone that was line BS he wasnt really sure what to say other than "Not sure what the other bodyshops are doing just what ours painters say".  Need to findout today what they have comeup with and if they need to take it elsewhere to get the job done right.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
?
Ive have a reoccurring issue on my front fascia where the paint is cracking after I had the fascia replaced when I had My wreck.  The dealership is fixing it again but they say the problem is not the paint but that the bumper flexes too much when they put it on and after it's on causing the paint to crack.  I say there feeding me a bunch of BS since the factory paint has no issues as well as others that have repainted there front fascias without issues.
Thoughts?
They need to use a flexible paint additive for plastics.  The other thing is that something may not be right under the bumper causing pressure.  http://www.ehow.com/how_7734896_paint-flexible-plastic.html

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
Flex additives dissipate over time.

The people who paint my car have told me that the flex deteriorates after time. The flex is in it just to keep it flexible to put the car back together and doesn't crack during re-assembly. He stated that the paint is pretty much flex free after 6 months to a year. Maybe see if they are using solvent base or water borne paints. The cars are painted with water borne paint that is very durable. When I hit a deer the flex was gone from my bumper because the paint did spiderweb on the bumper

My paint has not had this problem, and I have painted several times. Sounds like you just have some crappy paint or painters... or maybe they mounted the bumper incorrectly and it is actually flexing too much.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
Miller,

GJ

The off-roading adventure is completely my fault, because I swear I am part blonde sometimes. :(
Really, I should be the one fixing Miller's car.

I do have some video of it though!!!  :lol:

BTW, I did nothing in my Kappa today.  With the heat index at 115 right now at 6:41 pm, no way I'm taking that car out until at least Sunday when it cools down.  This is nuts!  All week like this!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
I'll be the first to say neither issue was Millers fault... I heard the story and witnessed one of the issues occur.   Miller it may feel like a "full time job" but you gotta admit it's a lot more fun.

Yeah, Chris forgot to add almost got run over by a motorcycle to what he did in his Kappa immediately before the off roading adventure. We were so freaked out, we stopped right after we turned on the road. After changing our underwear, we were on our way.

But hey...at least the hater lights still worked after getting hammered on the 8 miles of off roading!

And then, we almost got hit again the next day! How lucky were we this weekend!?!? Way, way, way lucky!!!

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Took apart my turn/fog housings and painted inside. Writeup here: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,7558.msg113563 Dont know if its because of the headlights not painted yet, but on the fence if I like it or not.  :idk:

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
Dropping the black vert Sol #2 off at my mechanics today so they can install the used BC coil overs I bought from a fellow forum member, and made an appointment to take it to the same repair shop that just realigned our #1 red coupe BC lowered Sol a few weeks ago.  Guy I spoke to said this must be Solstice month, I just did one a few weeks ago, doing another one tomorrow, and now yours.  I said, yeah mine was the one you did a couple weeks ago, you did such a nice job that's why I'm bringing this one to you also.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
Miss Hawk - if you are going to be a tease, at least make it worth while with pictures, in fact start your own thread on Miller's misadventures...
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
Critter, the servers would be overloaded, so it would be best not to make the thread :lol:

I dont need to wreck the forum as well!

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
Changed the oil and filter. Should have rotated the tires but it was too damn hot already. Will get them next oil change this fall...
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
Miss Hawk - if you are going to be a tease, at least make it worth while with pictures, in fact start your own thread on Miller's misadventures...

*sigh*

For your viewing pleasure...video evidence of the Off Roading Adventures in Canada.  Note we are going a whopping 11-12 mph!  And my Garmin really did think it was a road!  :lol:

Really, Chris wanted a new ATV.  He thought a slightly modded Sky would work just as well!  :D

Eh...at least it makes for good story telling!!!

So obviously something crazy happens to us on every trip!  This time it was a cancelled flight, a delayed flight, a lost debit card, a near death experience, an off roading adventure, and a near miss.  I'm leaving out the missed Duty Free stop and a few other things.
Can't wait to go to DDM and see what happens on that trip!   :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:54:56 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Where did you think you were going?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »
 :lol:

Don't have the GPS set to "avoid unpaved roads"?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!