Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New site restrictions - too restrictive?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
New site restrictions - too restrictive?
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
Per the updated Membership/Forum rules, we now have:

4.  Guests will no longer have full access to the forum.  Registration is required to access all of the features/attachments/sub forums. 

I don't know why this decision was made, although I assume it was something to do with the recent account and avatar hack(s), but this just makes the forum decidedly unfriendly to non-members since guests can now see effectively nothing anymore (heck, *I* can't see anything if I'm not logged in).  In my opinion, this is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I had occasion to post links to a couple of threads here recently as responses to threads on the BB.  Now those links just say the text "login", which is really not a great advertisement for us over here. 

Please, this is probably the friendliest of all the kappa forums.  Let's not become like a small podunk town, treating outsiders with fear and loathing.  It's along the lines of not letting terrorists change our way of life.  If you DO, they WIN!

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: New site restrictions - too restrictive?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »
Point well taken.  I'll take this under consideration.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
It's a tough call. I'm not sure how much this site pops up when people Google about our cars, but the BB comes up a lot when I Google for issues, and if you lock guest access, then Google may not be able to crawl anymore, and we'll lose viewers, which in turn members as well as ad money generated.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »
well, i personally prefer the information (and joking) to be shared among registered people, people that have bothered to "check-in" and post, rather than any person just googling around...
but it's up to Joe and it all depends on what he's aiming for.
if one of his aims is visibility and high Google ranking for ad money purpose, well these restrictions don't help. if he is aiming on info among registered users, then privacy has it's benefits
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Mihela816

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
In the past I've come across forums with the same restrictions, and I've usually just said screw it and gone to a different forum.
2006 Solstice, Cool, 5MT
Werks Tune

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:30 AM »
In the past I've come across forums with the same restrictions, and I've usually just said screw it and gone to a different forum.

Ditto, but I do understand the reason it was changed.  As usual I see both sides.  Maybe a compromise could be reached.  An isolated incident shouldn't be the sole reason; but if they continue than it should be changed to protect members.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
Yeah so what is the compromise. What are the options?
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure why it was changed (Joe?).  Non-logged-in members or guests not being able to see the posts wouldn't seem to have anything to do with hacking/hacked accounts(?)  But I could well be missing key info here.

I agree with Mihela816 and have the same attitude to fora with restrictions.  I also agree with Kenny's earlier post about google's ability to crawl and ad revenue (though I hadn't thought of that myself :) )

Any way not trying to :bdh: here, though it's good to have this polite discussion and set of viewpoints.  It's Joe's call, obviously.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »
Yeah I'm very interested in what happened and what the results were. Was there a thread talking about the hacking and how it was found and how it was resolved?

Joe if you need to keep it private, I understand. Just really curious what happened.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
I'm not sure you're familiar with the term, “praise in public and discipline in private” so I will not say anything other than one of our members account had been compromised which resulted in the changes.

This is temporary. I'm in the process of upgrading the forum and testing security packages.  Once that is complete, portions of the forum will be available to guests.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
Cool. It's all good. Thank you.

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
This is temporary. I'm in the process of upgrading the forum and testing security packages.  Once that is complete, portions of the forum will be available to guests.
DBG, THANK YOU for all you do. I personally appreciate the time-staking process that you must go through everyday to maintain this forum and keep it up and running at it's peak performance. I fully support your decisions on your forum. May the KP Forum be around for many, many years to come...
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
I'm not sure you're familiar with the term, “praise in public and discipline in private” so I will not say anything other than one of our members account had been compromised which resulted in the changes.

Now that I read THIS, I understand what is happening. Good job, as always.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
Yep.  THANK you, Joe!!