Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Please go check your NUTS today!  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Please go check your NUTS today!
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
Please let this be a lesson to all of you.  Even those of you who think they would never do this.  I am religious about checking my lug nuts after doing work to the car.  A few months ago I did the springs and a few other odds and ends.  Last night, I started to hear a funny sound from the left rear.  I headed to my brothers house nearby to investigate.  Two of the five lug nuts were finger loose and the other three were barely any tighter.  I have driven the car about 200 miles since I did any work to it.  I honestly don't know how I could have left them loose.  I check, recheck and then wake up in the middle of the night and go check again....  But, they were loose.
The lessons to be learned are, check and check again.  Then go back after a few drives and check again.  The second lesson, even more important than the first is to listen to what your car is telling you.  Mine saved my life and possibly the lives of others by telling me I was an idiot and didn't tighten the lug nuts properly.  It used a click and some strange squeaking to tell me that.  If I hadn't been listening, it could have been the misses driving when all hell broke loose. 
All is well now and the wheel is fine.  I checked again this morning. The bolts / threads were perfect, and no damage to the wheel.

The car is garage kept and never parked anywhere for very long.  The only recent exception was a baseball game last week.  It is possible, though unlikely, that someone was trying to take the wheels, but I really doubt that.  If a pro thief wanted them, she would have taken them.

The moral of the story is: please go check your nuts today!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:20:50 AM by GXPinKC »
Make the right choices now

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Please go check your NUTS today!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
My nuts are perfect. :lol:
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
Yep, just checked.  Mine are still attached.  (Though they were shakin' a bit in the quake a couple hours ago!)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:19:35 AM by GXPinKC »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
I have gotten new tires or tires rotated the last few years and they ALWAYS insist that I come back in a few days and have the nuts re-torqued. As I have never had an issue such as this, I always fluffed them off and although I have always re-torqued them myself I thought they were being overly cautious.

It's good that you caught it as the consequences could have been catastrophic. I'm glad you're all right.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:53:53 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
I've had to drive with a missing lug nut on 2 occassions.

Randy had to snap a stud when he did my brakes in Canton.  Had to drive back from Ohio with a missing nut.  6 hrs.  Seems like I also had to go on one of my runs with a lug nut missing.  Yes...he did my brakes after my run the first day.

My Dad and I had to snap a stud when we painted my brake calipers.  I drove from Iowa back to IL - 5-1/2 hrs with one missing.  I have kept a wrench with me to check the nuts ever since.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
Even the ladies need to check their nuts.....

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
When I saw that you posted I thought "If she checks her NUT's"  "HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
From the pics you look too attractive to have NUTS.
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »
Yeah...I'm definitely nutless!   :lol:
Thanks Tazz!

Seriously though, I probably should check mine again since I've driven 1000+ miles over the last few weeks and had the tires rotated right before that.  This is definitely a good reminder.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
The doctor is all booked up this week but I will get in as soon as possib...Wait. What? Oops, wrong nuts...
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
I checked mine and you seem to be doing okay GJ ;)

The other one in South Korea seems to be in rare form today also. :slap:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
GJ

You are now the official Kappa Nut Checker.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
I have gotten new tires or tires rotated the last few years and they ALWAYS insist that I come back in a few days and have the nuts re-torqued. As I have never had an issue such as this, I always fluffed them off and although I have always re-torqued them myself I thought they were being overly cautious.

It's good that you caught it as the consequences could have been catastrophic. I'm glad you're all right.

Most tire places do this with aluminum wheels because it can be a problem.  If the owner brings the car in and the wheels are hot due to braking or whatever and they R&R the wheel while it's still hot then the aluminum could have expanded.  If they torque the lugs and send you on your way later the wheel will cool off and contract, the torque will have then changed and could result in loose nuts.  And since GJ is our resident "Loose Nut" we all know what dealing with that is like.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
GJ  , Did you take your loose Nuts  off and check the Threads on your Studs . If they were that loose the wheel could walk around as it rotates
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
After forgetting to tighten up some of my suspension bolts recently (luckily the guy who aligned my car noticed it and fixed them) I have forced myself to always torque stuff immediately. But it's tough, you wanna get things together, then torque them later.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
I have always learned that you should re-check them after 100 miles any time you do anything with them.
---==--- ---==--- Bruiser ---==--- ---==---
|http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3335365|
---==--- ---==--- --==-- ---==--- ---==---
Attendee: 2010 NASSM | 2011 SMMM8

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »
[/flash]
After forgetting to tighten up some of my suspension bolts recently (luckily the guy who aligned my car noticed it and fixed them) I have forced myself to always torque stuff immediately. But it's tough, you wanna get things together, then torque them later.

Kenny,
This is totally off topic and rude.  Please go start your own thread about torqueing yourself.

GJ

You are now the official Kappa Nut Checker.

Ok, but be careful what you ask for.....

NUT CHECK ON ISLE 5....

Also, what do you bet someone like Arabas asks why my car has nuts... He'll undoubtedly mention that my car had a sex change or something like that.  Crazy Greeks.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:12:36 AM by Gentleman Jack »

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:54:39 AM »
GJ, glad to hear that you noticed that and nothing bad happened.
usefull advise indeed !

and now for the kind-of-joke part..
does you kappa still have nuts? i thought it had a sex change operation when you bought it, so she could have s3x with you
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
does you kappa still have nuts? i thought it had a sex change operation when you bought it, so she could have s3x with you

That's why his Sol has the rounded exhaust tips and not the square.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 06:09:42 AM »
That's why his Sol has the rounded exhaust tips and not the square.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GJ, what about the exhaust tip diameter? is that stock or you changed to smaller? or maybe 5 inch tips??? :devil:   :rofl:
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:48 AM »
Kenny,
This is totally off topic and rude.  Please go start your own thread about torqueing yourself.

You got me there :)
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GJ, what about the exhaust tip diameter? is that stock or you changed to smaller? or maybe 5 inch tips??? :devil:   :rofl:

Oh, my goodness the thread has brought about some amazing comments, all in the relative security of checking the lug nuts to be sure they have been torqued properly after service.  Yes, this is a very good point indeed!!!  As pointed out in the thread proper torqueing of the nuts is essential for safety.  I do believe that I will head to the shop today just to have mine checked!!!  As a matter of FACT, I have never checked mine!  Now, I am seriously wandering if the Eagle is a time bomb just ready to go off.

Carol my wife says my nuts are just fine!  That is conforting to know from a spouses perspective but beside the point when referring to lug nuts!!!  Ah, I am thankful that GJ started this thread cause all the "Nuts" on this forum need the security of knowing that they are indeed tight for safety reasons, and please don't mistake my comments for anything but what they are... please carry on with the thread...bring it...
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
Not only is it important to check your nuts, you should always be sure to torque them properly.

I am quite certain that the monkey who owned one of my vehicles before me tightened every nut/bolt he ever touched as tight as he could with a two foot breaker bar.  Over-torquing lug nuts over and over again fatigues the studs...and resulted in me merging onto I-95 at one point, getting up to speed, then watching my left rear wheel pass me in the center lane.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
So when I got home after the earthquake and checked the house out, I decided to check my nuts.

That's when the wife got home...........  standing there with my pants down to my knees

GJ expect a phone call
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:49:58 AM »
So when I got home after the earthquake and checked the house out, I decided to check my nuts.

That's when the wife got home...........  standing there with my pants down to my knees

GJ expect a phone call

Critter,
The wonderful Mrs. Critter called and I explained everything.  She told me she's been trying to tighten your nuts for decades.  Apparently, they are often loose and barely hanging on.  She promised me she would give you a good torqueing this weekend.  No need to follow up with the forum.....