Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tuning to remove CEL codes, 2008 with only a few mods  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
Tuning to remove CEL codes, 2008 with only a few mods
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
After going to the dealer to remede Codes  P013E and P2096 they repl the O2 sensors on the Highflow cat and exhaust. I was told the Performance Autowerk cat would have to come off to resolve the issue. Not interested in going that direction.

An extension tube was put on the cat and that took care of the codes the first time the cat was installled. Now they are back after several monts of regular driving. The car is great with the cat, magnaflow exhaust and the GMPP ECU installed. It would like to get some more boost, maybe 5 psi, and a few extr horse power. Dejon Intake pipe kit has been installed and typically get about 18 PSi boost.

I am trying to figure out the least expense way to clear the codes and  slight improve the vehicles performance without risking the wrty. While looking at after mkt tunes I have no clue to be honest about what needs to be done. Wester's And HP Tuners seem to be a few around and would like some insight in an easy to understand dialog.

Thanks for your reply, Steve
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Tuning to remove CEL codes, 2008 with only a few mods
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:25 AM »
Step one: solder the crimp connectors for the new map sensors for the GMPP tune.  This may solve your problems.  Best of all, it's basically free.  Many many many many.... Many people have has similar issues that were solved permanently after soldering the splices.

Step two: a different tune.  Multiple good choices to include the two you mentioned, Westers and HPTuners, plus check with DDMWorks and Trifecta.  They all have their ups and downs.  All can potentially void warranty.  HPTuners requires tuning knowledge on your part.  Prices vary, as do results.  The 5 psi you are looking for is achievable for under $500 I think...

Any of these 4 tunes can get you up around 23 psi.  Your threshold for failure will decide how far you want to push.  More importantly to me was WHERE the power came in.  Looking at where the power numbers are in the rpm range is just as important as how much power is created.  

Step three: buy better clamps for you IC piping as the increase boost pressure will almost surely pop off some hoses.... (DDMWorks, your dealer, or other). $ less than $50.00.

I will stop for now and see what others have to say.

GJ
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:51:00 AM by Gentleman Jack »
Make the right choices now

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »
You could also find someone you know and trust that is well versed in HPT.  Have them license your ECM ID takes 2 credits @ $50 a pop so $100 and have them DL your tune and turn off the cel codes so they don't return IF THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT CEL's.  Then have them UL the new tune and your good to go since nothing else is changed in the tune EXCEPT for disabling the reoccurring cel's.  Make sure you trust them that they know what they are doing so they don't turn off a cel that is important.  
Down side can be if you need to have warranty work done you probably need to flash back to your stock tune so they don't actually findout that you have a altered GMPP tune even if it's just to disable cel's because since they are emission related it is Illegal TO TAMPER OR ALTER THEM and WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.  At least your dealer is not totally against emissions mods since they will work on your vehicle even with the aftermarket CAT however if the cel's are caused by the CAT or can be tied indirectly to the CAT they need it to be in stock configuration to work on it that's just GM protecting themself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:39:25 AM by tazz »

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
I am trying to figure out the least expense way to clear the codes and  slight improve the vehicles performance without risking the wrty.
Thanks for your reply, Steve
Did not see this the first time reading.
Cheapest way would be to clear them with  code reader that clears DTC's and leave everything else ALONE would not be risking the warranty and clear them every time the pop and findout what causing them pop.  If you know they would not object to upgrading your front air cooler then you could actually gain some performance just by doing an upgrade but it will cost you $700+ or so just to upgrade for a small increase.

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will look at the sensor connecfions and be sure the sensors appear to be clean.
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
Looks are deciving on the connections on the sensors, everyones have looked fine.  Removing the crimps and sodering the connections have cleared most peoples problems.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
Thanks for everyones advise.  The connections for the new GMPP sensors did look good yet removed and soldered the connections.

The ECU was reset by disconnecting the battery terminals and disconnected at the terminal block, checked for zero VDC and keyed the ignition 3 times to remove any stray current. Final step shorted the quick disconnect terminals to clear the codes. Gone was the engine light after reconnecting the power and firing it up.

Surprize after a week the CEL returned, not sure of the codes yet I continued to feed the car 93 octane of good quality. The CEL light went out all by itself after the Ultr gas was introduced. I hope that the CEL does not bother me again.

I have started to take a look at a performance tune. Trifecta looks like the direction that I will go after the intake pipe is replaced.
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
Steve, gimme a call. I can get with you and the Dashhawk and see what we can find out. I am available for you anytime.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
Update. Thanks for everyone that responded. The codes would come and go away  no maatter what we did.

Finally had an Hp tune done and the same codes are back again. Car is running strong and will be working with the tuner to resolve.
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
P2096 means there is an issue with the 02 sensor.   It is not the code that is thrown when you install a Hi Flo Cat without an O2 extender.
That is P0420
If CT doesn't check the readiness codes for emissions, you could remove the O2 Extender, plug the O2 sensor directly into the exhaust, have the car tuned with HPT and set the DTC of P0420 to 0 which disables it.

It sounds like you have a leak, or a bad O2 Sensor where the last O2 sensor attaches to the exhaust [Just below the Cat]

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »

It sounds like you have a leak, or a bad O2 Sensor where the last O2 sensor attaches to the exhaust [Just below the Cat]

I am going with this also, the typical code when installing a high flow cat is the P0420 code, the code you are getting usually means there is an air leak somewhere between the engine and the secondary O2 sensor. The LNF ECM absolutely does not like that and we have seen some really interesting fueling happen with this code (Just ask Miller). Look for the leak and get it taken care of, do not just turn off that code in HPtuners.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
Yes you will just be running super rich. It causes some interesting things. You can see in this vid that when I blip the throttle (watch the boost/vac gauge) the RPMS rise up and take forever to return down to idle.  You will also notice the car likes to go to 13.2 (slightly rich) rather than 14.7 (Stoich)

Funky Rev.3gp

Here is a vid of me cruising at 55... AFR is in the 12's...

55mph cruise Rich AFR.3gp

And finally a sample of what I Was seeing from taking off at a light. 13.2 was its "normal" rather than 14.7 and it ran richer as i accelerated (as the ecm should do)

Rich AFR

All stemmed from a P2096. (lean bank1 sensor 1). which ended up being an o2 extender with galled threads ...

This leak allowed air into the exhaust at that point and made sensor two see a "dead lean" condition. The doctor diagnosed it in MD and we repaired directly after thanks to Rookie with the death bit and DBG's excellent welding skills

Trust me... look for the leak either at the bottom of the downpipe or the 2nd o2 extender.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
Sbutcher, you mention an extension.  Maybe you should check the connections at the top and bottom of the cat and on that extension.
It's the last change, it seemed to solve it for a while and now that the code is back, maybe something there came loose.