Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Lambo Door Install Questions  (Read 4315 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Lambo Door Install Questions
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
Gunny,

Do not install the side skirts until after you have the lambo hinges installed...  The skirts need to be off for that.  I don't want you to waste the sticky strips...

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
Gunny,

Do not install the side skirts until after you have the lambo hinges installed...  The skirts need to be off for that.  I don't want you to waste the sticky strips...

Thanks for the advice.  I should have the hinges before Norm get's to me in his line of buyers so it kind of set it up that way anywho.  I need Joe's garage to relocate to MI.  :thumbs:

Hey, that brings me to a question for input.  I've gone over the install threads a few times of how to get these babies on and keeping the door in place looks to be the key big deal.  My thought is to buy a roll of the packaging plastic wrap and after I have the door well fender bolt off, use it to wrap around the entire center section of the car to lock the doors in while I get the hinges bolted in place.  What do you guys think?  With the top and windows down it should stick/hold them still rather well I would think so long as I can pull it tight enough.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
It's a 11 hr drive to Holt.  Too far for a weekend trip.  The tape is enough.  If you make marks where all the edges sit, the allignment will be much easier.  I also found putting a piece of tape across the top of the back of the door and marking both edges with a marker for gap reference later.    Regardless of what you do or how you try to prevent the door from moving.  It will move.  The reference marks are what saves your butt.  One of the hinges we put in in NY needed spacers between the frame and the hinge.  It wasn't assebmled correctly when welded at the factory.  We've talked on the phone before so you should still have my number.  Call if  you need assistance when you are installing and I'll get your credit card info  :lol:

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
Call if  you need assistance when you are installing and I'll get your credit card info  :lol:

By the time I'm done there may be nothing left on it  :lol:.  I'll definatly still do the marks.  I will probably end up doing this as a one man show.  A couple guys from work may come help hold stuff.  I think the relocating things part is what I'm more nervous about over anything.

07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
It really helped to make the cut out jig for the holes under the hood.  Make it for one side out of cardboard and then flip it over for the other side and the holes will look the same. 

A small cut out tool is really helpful for this and make sure you debur it well and paint the edges.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
The doors are a two person job when adjusting.  One holds it up to the right height, the other tightenes.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
Sounds like he needs to visit us.  We could do the job plan a run and go out for some fun.

Chuck

We can do the job in 3 hours or if we call all our local solstice buddies to help make it 8 hours.  If def flies in to help it will be a two day job.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
I'm sure that so long as you guys are here to answer possible questions I'll be able to get her done.  But, If I can't I should be going to Olean, NY to visit my daughter in March or April and may have to just plan an additional jump to Joe's from there before I head home.  We'll see.  Cutting the hood should be a sinch since mines fiberglass.  I have all the tools I need at home.  I'll give it a go and if not, then I'll come to Joe's.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »
Olean is 6.5 hours.  I was born there.  Family moved to Buffalo and relatives still live there and Erie PA.    Be glad to have you over to do the install...

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
We'll see how it goes here in a week or so. 

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
Just remember one thing,  YOU MUST REMOVE THE DOOR DETENT BOLT BEFORE YOU TAPE THE DOORS SHUT.  or you will not be able to open the door.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Just remember one thing,  YOU MUST REMOVE THE DOOR DETENT BOLT BEFORE YOU TAPE THE DOORS SHUT.  or you will not be able to open the door.

Your talking about the rod that runs into the front of the door between the hinges that holds the door open right?

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »
Reading through your install "again".  I remember reading somewhere before that you have to adjust the location of the battery also.  Is this not the case and what you meant by the 06 infermation was different?

Based on what you have only the ECM and washer bottle need location adjustments.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Just the ECM and wash tank.    Yes the one that holds the door open.  I'm going to split this topic to Joe's Garage "Lambo Door Install Questions"

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
Re: Lambo Door Install Questions
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
I started wondering if you were going to split this off  :thumbs:.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
Sounds like he needs to visit us.  We could do the job plan a run and go out for some fun.

Chuck

We can do the job in 3 hours or if we call all our local solstice buddies to help make it 8 hours.  If def flies in to help it will be a two day job.

Chuck do you think that you can afford to devote that kind of time to watch a project like this?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
Its not easy but Joe gives me breaks and provides a stool and drinks.  I have been in training at home.  I sit and watch Nancy work.  I am hope to 2 hrs straight.  Only injury has been a lump on my head the shape of an iron skillet.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »
Its not easy but Joe gives me breaks and provides a stool and drinks.  I have been in training at home.  I sit and watch Nancy work.  I am hope to 2 hrs straight.  Only injury has been a lump on my head the shape of an iron skillet.
I don't think that is actually an injury its more of a tribute to how devoted you are to do nothing, most people would have at least made an effort to get out of the way!  Keep up the good lack of work.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
The Hinges arrived this morning so hopefully this weekend I'll be busy getting putting her wings on.  :woohoo: