Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New winter meats.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
New winter meats.
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
I bought the wheels mostly because they were only $50 clearance on the 17" winter packages tirerack was running. Would have bought steelies if they were available. Turns out they dont look that bad on the car either.  Comming in at a little over 20lbs, I saved a few pounds over the stock setup even though the new tires are still as heavy as the Eagle RS-As. :yay:

I was going to go with the Continental ExtremeWinterContacts but after a drive in a friends car equipped with Bridgstone Blizzacks this past freak snow storm, I had to change my mind and get those instead. Went with the WS70s but had the option for the higher performance LM60. Looking at the reviews for both, the WS70 had better ratings aside from the H-rating that the LM60 had. The lowest rating being in the 7s for noise. Driving on them the past couple days, I dont find them that much more noisey than the crap Eagle RS-As that were on there from the dealer. But then again, thats not saying much.  :lol:
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: New winter meats.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
these look good Ophidia!!
especially for only $50!!!!!!!!!!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
Yep, Blizzacks seems the way to go.  I went with Michellin X-ice when I bought snows last winter.  They got me around just fine, but I think I would have been happier with the Blizzacks.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »
Thanks Arabas. Couldnt go wrong for $200. On tirerack, they look allright and even thought I dont care what they looked like since they were only for winter tires, I kinda cared a little bit. If that makes sense.  :D But when I got home and actually saw them on the car, I thought they were actually pretty nice. The silver goes better with the car then the chrome of the stock wheels.

Yep, Blizzacks seems the way to go.  I went with Michellin X-ice when I bought snows last winter.  They got me around just fine, but I think I would have been happier with the Blizzacks.

Like Ive said to myself when trying to pick them out. Never having owned a set of winter tires before, the cheapest winter tire is probably going to be better than the best all-season tire. (for its designated purpose of the season) But Ive also heard good things about the Mastercraft GlacierGrip and Firestone WinterForce tires as well from friends that have owned them in the past.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Spike

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »
I got these same wheels on clearance. just waiting on tires for mine. Looks good!

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
What's the link ?

Offline J_Bond

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Blizzacks are incredible snow tires.  worth every penny.  They even perform pretty darn awesome in dry conditions!   I've owned 5 different sets of Blizzacks and they just get better and better every year!
2008 2.4L N/A  '14.748' Quarter-mile record holder'
WERKS lightweight battery
Dyno-tuned ECM by HP-Tuners
SOLO Single Catback exhaust
SOLO header
SOLO High Flow Cat
Energy suspension bushings
Koni shocks
Pro-Kit springs
EBC slotted dimpled rotors
Hawk Ceramic pads
K&N Cold air intake with heatshield & DEI thermal-wrapped
BLACKED-out everything...
Redline headlights
Black 18" Sacchi wheels on lightweight Continental DWS tires
Mishimoto transmission-cooler with Royal purple synthetic fluid
Gutted trunk

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »
Blizzacks are incredible snow tires.  worth every penny.  They even perform pretty darn awesome in dry conditions!   I've owned 5 different sets of Blizzacks and they just get better and better every year!

Im finding that out. The car seems to accelerate from a stop better and, even though the sidewalls are a bit mushy, grip better in the turns. Granted this is in comparison to the stock rs-a's sp take it as you will. Im sure comming from a good set of summer tires would be the opposite.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
Thank you :)

That's weird.  I did a few searches based on Kappa variations and that wheel did not show in any of the regular searches.  I had to go into winter section to see 17" wheels availability; the regular search showed only 18" as the smallest size.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:46:15 PM by POS VETT »

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
Yeah i dont understand why they dont show any smaller sizes in a regular search. Possibly because most are only 17x7.5 and any tire will be thinner than the ones that come stock causing a decrease in handling.  :idk: The size that would come close to stock dimension is 245/50/17 of which there are only 2 available, pricey, summer tires and the same minimal results with other 17" sizes. Without losing contact area or spending much cash on off size tires, sticking with 18" wheels for performance is the way to go now I guess.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500