Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Which door speakers?  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Which door speakers?
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
I know that a lot of you have upgraded your door speakers and was wondering what everyone's experience has been.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Which door speakers?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
I have Alpine Type-R SPR-17S component speakers in mine and they sound perfectly fine & are reasonably priced.  Thing is, you need to decide what your price range is first, 'cos there's folks out there who spend insane amounts on speakers (though how you can hear the difference between 'good' and 'insane' speakers in an open top roadster at speed (ahem) I don't know).

Biggest problem I find with the doors is that my knee and lower leg naturally rest against the speaker grill and cut the sound and imaging off.  I may do one of those major fiberglass efforts one of these days to move/point the speaker out and avoid the issue. Agh!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
That's an issue that I hadn't thought about. Should I get just the door speakers or a component system that includes the tweeters like you did TS? I don't want to spend any more than necessary (nothing like stating the obvious) but I of course want decent performance.

I guess I should add that I have a Kenwood DNX9960 headunit on the stock Monsoon sound system with all stock components.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:51:09 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
I bought infinity kappa perfects many years ago..
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:47:56 AM »
I have Alpine Type-R SPR-17S component speakers in mine and they sound perfectly fine & are reasonably priced.  Thing is, you need to decide what your price range is first, 'cos there's folks out there who spend insane amounts on speakers (though how you can hear the difference between 'good' and 'insane' speakers in an open top roadster at speed (ahem) I don't know).
The difference is in the reliability.  Even a crappy speaker at full volume can sound good once... Once!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
I have the non-Monsoon system in Gwyneth. It is less than desirable. I will upgrade the sound system at some point in time. I have had great results with Polk audio 6.5s (x4) and tweeters (x2) and a small MTX amp and 10" sub with a Pioneer head unit in my '02 Saturn VUE. I've sold that SUV, but the sound system was definitely nice. I may end up going with 2 - 8" subs in Gwyneth, but keep the rest of my brand and size selection that I had in the VUE. I will probably use the Polk DB6501 6.5s. I may not even need a subwoofer by the reviews I've read about them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:12:21 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »
So what everyone is saying is that the component and not just the speakers alone is the way to go?

Offline sirmeili

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Personally when I do mine, I will be doing component (maybe not in the back?). I figure we already have component's in the car, why not replace with a same style system just with better pieces. I'm curious as to the experience everyone has had replacing the tweeters, but I can always start another thread for that :)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
With my Alpine's I was able to mount both the tweeters and mid-woofers in the same mounting positions as the stock speakers.  I had to dremel a couple of shallow slots in the sides of the tweeters to fit the stock clips, but that was it.  You cannot tell I have replaced the speakers - which is how I like it.  It's does however seem a shame to throw away the cool Alpine adjustable tweeter mounts that came with the set :)

The bigger issue is wiring.  Since I had non-Monsoon but added my own amp, all the speaker wires came from the head unit and I rewired everything with decent (not excessive) speaker wires back to the rear bulkhead where the new amp was (same position as Monsoon amp would've been).  Most was easy, except it's quite a pain to run new (thick) speaker wires into the doors.  The crossovers I velcro'd in up in the dash above and on the outside side of each footwell.

If you have the Monsoon amp, you could get away with re-using the factory wiring (though that's pretty nasty/thin stuff) and cut off - or adapt - the factory speaker connectors.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline sallysky

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
I replaced the factory with Infinity Reference and they are excellent. Like TS I had to use a Drexel on the pillars to fit the new tweeters but it was not all that hard to do. I had the monsoon and used the factory wiring.
2008 RL Bluestone/Tan/Black Leather "Sally"
"SKY4JOY"
5 Speed
Vision Wheels
Stubby
Custom Etched Glass Windscreen
Kenwood DNN991HD
Alpine PDX-v9 Amp Infinity Kappa Front & Tweets Kicker Rears and sub
Brake Light Decal
Painted Calipers
Silver Marker Bulbs
RPI GT exhaust
GMPP CAI & Turbo upgrade
Color Matched Badges
DDM backbone & venom brace, Pro Beam
JPM Dash, console, trunk liner, shifter
Norms rear facia, side skirts, front splitter
Custom Painted Hood Liner
Blue powder coated pipes
Heated Seats
VDI Hinges - Halo- HID

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
So if you have the Monsoon, you don't need the crossovers and can use the existing wiring in the car I would assume?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
So if you have the Monsoon, you don't need the crossovers and can use the existing wiring in the car I would assume?
Unfortunately, no.  From what I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) there's no electronic crossover in the Monsoon amp.  Just relies on blocker caps on the tweeters.  Plus, even if there IS a crossover inside the amp, the crossover point  and rolloff is probably not correct for the new speakers.  So, better to use just the door speaker channels and split using the kit crossovers. 

HOWEVER,  you could mount the crossovers near the amp behind the waterfall and thus still take advantage of the factory wiring if you so wish.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »
Like TS I had to use a Drexel on the pillars to fit the new tweeters but it was not all that hard to do.
Not quite the same thing as I did, Joyce.  I didn't modify the factory pillars at all, just a slight mod to the tweeters themselves to fit in the factory mounts.