Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: gmtech's review - Werks comes up with another MUST HAVE mod...  (Read 2609 times)

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
gmtech's review - Werks comes up with another MUST HAVE mod...
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »
GMtech's review.........not mine.

So I finally got a chance to try out their rear frame/suspension brace on my Sky, I like it!

A lot of suspension stuff like this is kinda hard to notice when you put them on, but this brace is a noticeable change. I'm running 275/45/18's on the back, which is about as tall as you can squeeze under the back of these cars. On a really hard launch, or under hard accel out of a good traction corner, I could get the tires to rub the frame at the front of the wheel well. When the car is sitting still, there's at least an inch or two clearance at the spot where it hits. The only explanation is that the suspension flexes enough to let the wheels pull forward that far, letting it rub. That's a lot of movement, but then again I'm putting a lot of hp and traction to those wheels and suspension.

So, guess what? I haven't gotten the tires to rub since I've had the brace on! That's pretty hard evidence that the brace works. It ties the A-arm mounting towers together pretty solid, so it would make sense that it would help hold the A-arms in place better. I would say it does! The rear end just seems so tight and responsive it's pretty cool. Come out of a corner sideways and a twitch of the steering and the rear end snaps right back in line. These cars don't really have a wheel hop issue (try driving a GTO), but with the brace it feels even smoother going in and out of wheelspin.

I'd definitely recommend the brace for anyone looking for better handling. I put a bunch of pictures of it up on my photobucket site, lots of duplicates but hopefully they'll answer anyone's questions about fit. I have the 3" Magnaflow exhaust on mine, it fits perfectly. In some of the pictures it looks like it's right on the exhaust pipe, but it actually has plenty of clearance. I tried to get some shots that show the clearance between the exhaust and brace. After having it on the car for awhile, I checked for any signs of it hitting, and there were none. Install is hella easy, it probably took me 20 minutes. If you have a Pro-Beam, you might want to get some longer bolts like I did. They'll fit but are just a tad shorter than I'd like. No problem putting the brace on with the Pro-Beam, there's no clearance or mounting issues either with or without the PB.

Hope this helps you guys that are looking for something to tell your wife to get you! This mod was definitely a good one imho.

Link to pictures of brace..

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/j16450yz/Werks%20Kappa%20Rear%20Frame%20Brace/
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Re: gmtech's review - Werks comes up with another MUST HAVE mod...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
Good stuff. Ive been eyeballing this since I saw it on their website but lack of pictures and anyone who installed one, kind of turned me away. Now that I see how it supposed the two front mounts are supposed to go, may pick this up next year.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline spartan

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
GMTech's positive review and pictures prompted me to take advantage of the Werks Thanksgiving sale. Also bought the phenolic spacer set and upper radiator hose. I've wanted to pick one of these braces up for a while; eventually I'd like to install a differential cooler attached to the brace as shown in the solstice performance book.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:13:27 PM by spartan »

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
Glad to read about this review.  I pulled the trigger to take the advantage of the 20%- and 10%-off sale and got the rear frame brace, tunnel brace, and GXP ZOK sway bars.  I have Magnaflow exhaust too; it's nice to know the rear frame brace will clear the exhaust.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
Whoa, that's a serious piece of kit there. For a race car, I'd put on a diff cooler, then use this as the frame for an axle back rear diffuser.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS