Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Original Mallett Solstice for sale  (Read 11930 times)

Offline numbbers

• Tech
Thanks, Dave Russell

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Deep
Ebony Leather
Chrome

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Re: Original Mallett Solstice for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »
No offense to you, Dave, as I know you have a Mallett, too... but she's gonna be hanging on to that one for a real long time at $38K

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
No offense to you, Dave, as I know you have a Mallett, too... but she's gonna be hanging on to that one for a real long time at $38K

Is that was the asking price is?  I saw that thread, but never checked back to see the price.  Yeah...I don't see it going for 38K especially when someone said another one only sold for 27K.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
I think someone stated 27, then the owner joined and wrote; no way.  He said he might be a little flexible but not that flexible.   I like reading threads like these because it shows Kappa's are good candidates for engine swaps and keeps enthusiast interested in Kappas because someday will be the only ones keeping them on the road.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
No way its going to fetch anything over 30k

Sorry, but If I have 30k sitting around, I can buy an 07 Mallet Solstice, or a fully loaded 07 C6 Coupe. It would be tough to sell me the Sol when the same money buys a completely superior car. Unless you are IN LOVE with the solstice look, I bet most would go for the vette.

Same motor, but better handling, gears, options, and holding value for the vette. :jm2c:
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline spartan

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
I think Miller has it right.  Little reason to buy it for that price given that trade-off.  On the other hand, if you are talking about a car you already own that you have upgraded yourself, when the time comes that the original engine is getting a lot of miles, the calculas is different.  You already have capital, real and emotional, invested.  If we could get the costs down a bit on engine trade-outs there will be more of the Kappas staying on the road.  Ironically, due to the huge number of 2.4L cars on the road, the RL/GXPs will get more rare.  You can pick up a low mileage 2.4L engine for a couple grand while it is going to become pretty hard to source a 2.0L cheaply.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
I also surprised a female owns it (just saying).  Basically she's said it was the "be different" factor, which I admire.  With all the performance car available now a days there's still a group who doesn't want to blend in.  Isn't that the primary attraction of exotics?  I'm successful and want everyone to know or think it because you rarely see them using them being used for SCCA events.

Also reminds me of when Hot Rod magazine back in the 80s was encouraging folks to dare to be different.  Guess they were basically tired of seeing Chevy, Fords, and Chryslers and wanted folks step out of that comfort zone and start hotrodding makes that weren’t as popular as belly buttons.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:53:38 AM by ChopTop »

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »
Just like everyone else says, not going to happen. You can buy a brand new car, modify the piss out of it and you will never get back what you put yinto it or what you paid. Given the year (2007) You can take at least half off of the price you paid for what work was done and then take about 5-6k off the cars price when bought and then see. But even then youre still facing the fact that all warrenties on the conversion and car are up. Which, for a car with less than 2k miles on it, is something that Id want. And the price drops down a little more. I wouldnt go more than 25 with that car even knowing what the condition and what was done to it.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
At $38k, I would just find a minty C5 Z06 and keep $10k-12k in my pocket or for mods.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »
My suggestion would be if he knows or belongs to a car group to find a person that wants those mods sell it to them and both are happy.  Problem most run into is that mods done to a vehicle don't mean CRAP when it comes to resale value and most will shy away because they want to mod it they way they want it done.  I know several guys that have extensively modified cars and trucks all the way up to Show vehicles and in between and they all run into this problem.  A couple of guys have trucks that they dumped 100K plus the price of the truck and they can't even get 45K for a show truck and has less than 30K miles just doesn't happen very well. 
You need to do two things one get in touch with your local car club's and it's national affiliates and get your name out there and be prepared to maybe take 32k for it.  If you don't do these two things then you will probably have it for awhile and that's not a bad thing unless you need the cash then you pretty much really need to take what you can get or figure out something else.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
BSS  ; Plus its not a Only One Car . Mallett made many Solstice and Sky V8s. People that would pay 38,000 or near that for this are not looking at the type of car only that its a V8..  One of my Buddies put an LS3 in an old Porsche  and only got 16K & that was a lot more work with a 9in rear under it .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
Was thinking; wasn't/isn't the 32 Ford THE vehicle that started making it popular to install V8s into car (not originally offered)?  Followed by Shelby with the Cobra in the 60's/70s, and then kit cars, Fiero's, Miata's, MGs, Porsche's, just trying to figure out if theirs some type of lineage.  With V8s on the decline have to wonder if V8s swaps have peaked, will remain popular, or eventually decline?

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I'd say the biggest factor will be the cost of gasoline. If the cost stays reasonable the V8 will survive and even thrive. The power output on my 2.0 with the GMPP tune has only 5 less hp than my V8 Tahoe but it has more torque! Seems they would use the 2.0 based on the numbers but they don't. Wonder why that is?
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I'd say the biggest factor will be the cost of gasoline. If the cost stays reasonable the V8 will survive and even thrive. The power output on my 2.0 with the GMPP tune has only 5 less hp than my V8 Tahoe but it has more torque! Seems they would use the 2.0 based on the numbers but they don't. Wonder why that is?

Thats basically it. I see no real reason to get a v8 other than the sound. For street driving and weekend racer. Now a days, a worked 4 or 6 cylinder can produce as much hp as a v8. Its sad but true. Hell, ford is putting their ecoboost engines in their big suvs and trucks now. Just goes to show.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Original Mallett Solstice for sale
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »
Ophidia,

I have to correct you.  A worked 4 or 6 cyl has as much power as an OLD non worked V8.  A worked V8 will have more power than a worked 4 or 6 cyl.  Just sayin'. Apples to apples and all. :)

And Ford is only doing that to try to meet Cafe standards. 
Make the right choices now

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »
I wasnt saying a worked v8. I wouldnt go saying old vs new v8s either. Example is the buick 3800 s/c since im very familiar with that engine. Pulley down with intake and headers back with a tune is going to put you 300+hp. Only massaged a bit. Switch from s/c to a turbo and youre 400+hp. Do the rest and your 550-600 with stock bottom end. The only problem was this engine was in a fwd car with a transmission made out of hopes and prayers. Last I checked they were making around 800hp out of that engine.  And also the ecotec drag cars running 1000+hp, I would say thats worked v8 territory.  :D Ya know, Just sayin' haha
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »
Thats basically it. I see no real reason to get a v8 other than the sound. For street driving and weekend racer. Now a days, a worked 4 or 6 cylinder can produce as much hp as a v8. Its sad but true. Hell, ford is putting their ecoboost engines in their big suvs and trucks now. Just goes to show.
This is one of the biggest signs of the times. (ecoboost, etc) Granted, there is nothing like the sound of a big block V8 with a throaty exhaust system. But gas mpg, and the initial cost of a V8 car, definitely steers me away.

The new Mustang V6 with is very powerful engine is a logical choice for my lines. Too bad I don't like the body styling.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs