Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Which oil filter do you use?  (Read 10770 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Which oil filter do you use?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
I personally use PUROLATOR oil filter  w/   Royal Purple XPR  every 3000 miles  :)

never had any issue

Sky8888888888

Not to pick on you twice in a week, but seriously?  Every 3000 miles?  Is that every 3000 miles that your parts travel to get to you?

:kwh:

:)
Make the right choices now

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
Re: Which oil filter do you use?
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
maybe  :)
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
I pulled that off line, mine are burried in the shed, they are a drop in not a spin on, even though if you go to RockAuto and look at it, it shows a spin on. 

Ah, thanks for clarifying.  I was under the impression that to put a canister style filter onto a car that was originally designed for the insert with the reusable cap, that you'd need an adapter, as that's the only setup I've personally seen.  But it is possible in theory, whether it exists or not is another question.

Offline blackbirdracing

• Master Tech
  • Kappa Newb
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
What are the thoughts on the delco filters?

When I bought the car it came with 52 delco filters...   I own 3 vehicles and all of the are ecotecs. So they will come in handy.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »
Oil filter change? WTH...
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
What are the thoughts on the delco filters?

When I bought the car it came with 52 delco filters...   I own 3 vehicles and all of the are ecotecs. So they will come in handy.

From what I've seen of independent testing, the OE AC Delco filters on a whole are pretty good.  In fact, the OE filters are typically the best quality filters until you get into the fancy synthetic filter mediums.  The biggest difference ends up being that the synthetic ones will trap more particulate matter with less restriction to flow later into the service interval.  I would have no problems trusting any stock OE filter for the recommended usage/interval.  And if you're going to use a better oil than was recommended (AMSOIL over Mobil 1), and you're only using up ~42.5% of the recommended interval according to the DIC for the filter, I think that more than makes up for the tune, and "aggressive" driving.

I basically swap the oil filter when the oil filter indicator hits about ~55%, and then again at ~15%, and the oil once, when it hits the 15%, and then reset.  Having the top mount oil filter is ideal for this filter swap without changing the oil compared to a bottom mount filter.  I have also installed a Fumoto oil drain plug.  It's my first personal car I've put a Fumoto onto and now my oil change is truly dripless, and loads less clean up without having the use a drain pan.  It goes straight from valve to a tube into a jug.  And makes it very easy to take a sample for oil analysis.

I purchased 12 filters a few years ago, and it ended up costing me about half the price of buying one at a time from the dealer.  I picked up my car with about 28km on it (so almost nothing), changed it right away, then at 1K km, then 2K km later, and then 5K km since then.  Because I had to buy one filter right away and that wasn't included in the original 12, I now on my 10th filter the car has ever seen, about to hit 40K km, when I will put on the 11th filter.  The 13th and final filter I have will go on at 50K later this year.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:30:49 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Purolator PureOne.  Highly-ranked and probably second cheapest ($5 when on sale at Advance minus coupon code) in that line up.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
I used wix filters on my Sky, with the required Mobile 1 oil.

Just did the oil on the truck, and used a GM-recomended AC Delco filter. NEVER AGAIN. Didn't have the right size filter wrench, went to the auto parts store to buy one, used one of the same types of filters at the store to find the proper cap wrench...went home and the new wrench fit neither the AC Delco filter that was on the truck, nor the filter I had already bought. Not impressed at ALL.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
Bosch 3324 available many places.  I usually buy half a dozen at a time from RockAuto

me too...  I change the oil ( Mobil 1 )  when the DIC is less than 30% - or 1 year - which ever comes first...
wr

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
I've been using the NAPA Gold 7082 in mine (apparently made by WIX, according to the box).  Seems fine, but who can say really?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
I use Fram and change it around the 50% oil life used.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.