Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: P0089 with no other DTC's - Replaced fuel pressure sensor to no avail  (Read 10524 times)

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
Re: P0089 with no other DTC's - Replaced fuel pressure sensor to no avail
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »
I just got the same code. I guess I'll get someone to clear it and hope for the best!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
That's worked for me so far, reed...

Offline Thomas

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:31 AM »
Thanks or the excellent write up.   I'm having the similar issue.  I got the P0089 and P0087 a few years ago and car went into limp mode.  Dealership replaced the HPFP.  For the most part everything worked great for a few years... 

This year car would run alittle rough sometimes and had some hard starts, finally got a CEL for P0089 only in Feb.  Replaced the fuel pressure sensor using your write up in Feb.  But now its back again.  I'm thinking it might be the in-tank fuel pump.  At least that would make sense to me why it had rough starts...  I guess it could be the HPFP going out again, but when it went out before it was sudden.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Thanks or the excellent write up.   I'm having the similar issue.  I got the P0089 and P0087 a few years ago and car went into limp mode.  Dealership replaced the HPFP.  For the most part everything worked great for a few years... 

This year car would run alittle rough sometimes and had some hard starts, finally got a CEL for P0089 only in Feb.  Replaced the fuel pressure sensor using your write up in Feb.  But now its back again.  I'm thinking it might be the in-tank fuel pump.  At least that would make sense to me why it had rough starts...  I guess it could be the HPFP going out again, but when it went out before it was sudden.
Does it rough-start more when you've filled up with gas? 'Cos it could just be your Evap purge solenoid, which is a cheap and easy fix.

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Thomas

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
Actually I did have that problem last year.  I replaced it EVAP solenoid and it fixed that problem.  Ive had a ton of problems with this car over the years.    I've replaced the water pump, half shafts, diff, stupid little plastic clips for the top, thermostat, evap solenoid, and fuel pressure sensor... thats about all I can remember right now haha  Dealership replaced HPFP, diff seal, rear brake caliper, and radio.  It's not the most reliable car in the world but very fun to drive and fairly easy to work on (except the water pump and thermostat).

Offline Thomas

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »
That's a good video TomatoSoup.  Easy to test too, I'll test it I guess it could be going out again.

Offline Thomas

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
EVAP solenoid checked out good.  when I turn the ignition to on, I hear the LP fuel pump kick on but the dash hawk only reads 15psi if I turn it off and on again I got to 58psi.  Maybe the LPFP is going out or the strainer is very dirty.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
Hey guys. So I had this problem happen to me today. Its the p0089 and the p0087 codes that popped up. I can't even rev over about 5k or else the whole motor just goes limp. Even revving at idle. My question is, Does the fuel rail pressure sensor fix all of this, or is it the hpfp? Just trying to know so I can get some parts ordered in.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »
Sounds like hpfp to me.  When you replace it, you'll also need to replace a short section of hard pipe.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
I'm now on the fence about this. I cleared the code (because I read sometimes when this code comes up, if you clear it its all good to go) and since then knocking on wood, havent had an issue. I wonder if it might have just been a fluke or something. I've gotten on it multiple times and it pulls like a champ with fuel rail pressure up to 2264psi. I've had a few issue with other stuff here and there and everytime I'm thinking it might be the hpfp, it turns out its something else.

Didnt you say you changed the sensor out and then it happened again later?

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Correct.  I changed the sensor and the code came back... over two years later (but to be fair it was in storage most of those two years).  I do hear my hpfp making more racket occasionally.  I figure it's on borrowed time.

Today I'm dealing with what appears to be a faulty pre-cat oxygen sensor.  I sincerely doubt the two conditions are related, though.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »
ya they wouldnt. The only thing they might have in common is if the fuel pressure is low or high the o2 sensor may throw a code for too rich or too lean