Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Metallic rattle I cant find.... Not fixed....  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Metallic rattle I cant find....
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:13:30 AM »
Ticking like an electric fuel pump?  Middle center of the rear, and don't you have everything ripped out back there?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
Everything is taken out, but i was able to hear it when everything was still in there. I dont think its the fuel pump because it doesnt happen all the time. Maybe within a half hour driving, it will make the ticking 3 or 4 times for a few seconds to less than two seconds. I told my friend when he came for the ride yesterday that it probably wont do it now. Its also loud enough to clearly echo off buildings and other cars with the windows up. Ive never heard a fuel pump that was that loud.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
THAT would irritate the hell out of me! Good luck finding it
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
Can't remember which car it was, but I had a 'floating' brake pad that did that, real bad when there was a jersey wall next to you, louder when you where going slow.

I sprayed the hell out of them with disk quiet.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
Changing the engine and diff oil out tommorrow with amsoil. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed. If it still does it, going to the dealer while I still have 10mo left on the powertrain warrenty.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
Why not take it before you do the change?  If it does not fix the issue your out the $$ for the Amsoil diff fluid and the dealer with replace with GM diff oil and what a waste of perfectly good diff oil. 

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Could it be rear brake shield hitting the rotor? My rotors rust while sitting over time and will rub the shield until the rust wears off.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Why not take it before you do the change?  If it does not fix the issue your out the $$ for the Amsoil diff fluid and the dealer with replace with GM diff oil and what a waste of perfectly good diff oil. 

Why? Because that would be the smart thing to do. Didnt even cross my mind to do it like that. I just want the noise gone.  :D

Could it be rear brake shield hitting the rotor? My rotors rust while sitting over time and will rub the shield until the rust wears off.

Going to pull the wheels and look at that possibility, but when my friend drove along, he clearly heard it from the middle and not to either side like I thought it was. And since mines a daily driver, i dont have much rust on them and would think any  that would rub would come off in the time I heard it in december?
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
Brought in my car for my appointment at the dealer today and the mechanic was able to reproduce the noise and thinks its from the diff like my friend thought it was too. They didnt have a loaner car for me today so i couldnt leave my car, so next wednesday Im dropping it off again so i can leave it there so they can pull the diff and check it out and do whatever it is they do.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Well, got it back today. From the looks of it, it was the lsd that was making all that noise. So far so good. I thought i heard it a couple times driving it to the mac machine and to get gas but could have been my imagination since it ticked or clicked a couple times then went away. Not what it was doing prior to service. Hopefully that was all it was.

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Metallic rattle I cant find.... Fixed?
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
Cool!
Make the right choices now

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Metallic rattle I cant find.... Fixed?
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 03:36:50 AM »
Hope that fixes the problem Ophidia!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Re: Metallic rattle I cant find.... Fixed?
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Stupid mother f'in noise is back. I think Ive narrowed it down to possibly being something with the winter wheels. I heard it more pronounced on the drivers side this time last night but heard it start up again a few weeks ago when they were back on for the winter. Hearing it last night is what led me to think about the wheels because I dont believe i heard it when i put the stockers back on in the spring. I also pulled the center caps and noticed were the end of the axle was hitting and causing wear on the center cap itself. It was the same situation on the passenger side as well. Or, it could just be a "remove wheel/reinstall wheel" type of thing and thats the reason I didnt hear it after getting it back from the dealer and my stockers went back on shortly there after.

Well, i took off the center caps for a test until this weekend when I can get the stockers back on the rear for a quick test drive. Hopefully its not raining as itd be that much more difficult to hear if it is making the noise with them on. If theres no noise, going to try cleanign the crap out of the wheel/hub faces and put a little anti-seize on there. Going to run through all my ideas before i bring it back to the dealer to have them probably find nothing wrong.

I really love this car, but this is starting to piss me off.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
Re: Metallic rattle I cant find.... Not fixed....
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »
i have one similar and it was the bracket that holds the the to the engine its on the bottom of the cat where the the cat back portion of the stock exhust goes. now if you have the solo header and stock cat that bract may be broken thats what happened to me

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
the bracket that holds the the to the engine its on the bottom of the cat
?huh? :huh:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
Noise was gone in april 2012 then returned nov/december 2012. Noise was first present prior to exhaust installation nov/dec 2011. Clearly comes from the rear of the vehicle.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Could it be something as simple as a nut or something like that rolling back and forth in the catback?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
Critter says to check for any kind of can with some ping pong balls that might be hidden inside the car by Ivy from DDM.

I hear she likes to do that sort of thing and has been known to blame other innocent people for it, isn't that right Shiny?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline old goat

• Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
I had the noise from the bracket that holds the exhaust to the engine at the bottom of the downpipe, took me over a year to find it, just a missing nut. The bracket is on a stud and would move back and forth on the stud and rattle , grind, click hum and just about whistle dixie. IT JUST ABOUT MADE ME STOP DRIVING THE CAR!