Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: B&G coilovers - On Sale!  (Read 24651 times)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: B&G coilovers - On Sale!
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »
Not sure.  You would have to call them and ask,
BC has it as an option on their site
And you could buy any Coilover and ask Swift if they make a spring for it, or if they will.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
whats wrong with the springs that the BC's come with? they are the same rate front and rear.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »
I took it as DDM simply doesn't plan on carrying/ordering anymore, which means if we ever need replacement we may have to go to BC directly or find a vendor that sells replacement parts. 

As I said in a previous post if you want a better understanding of coilover tech watch "Skunk2" vids series (coilovers explained).

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
I took it as DDM simply doesn't plan on carrying/ordering anymore, which means if we ever need replacement we may have to go to BC directly or find a vendor that sells replacement parts. 

As I said in a previous post if you want a better understanding of coilover tech watch "Skunk2" vids series (coilovers explained).

As for the B&G's, they aren't being made any longer due to low demand. So I have the last set the distributor was willing to ship out.  However, they may make them again in the future, but who knows.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
whats wrong with the springs that the BC's come with? they are the same rate front and rear.

Stock springs are stiffer in the rear.  Some people prefer to custom order their springs to match that.  For most people, having them be the same front and rear works quite well.   Having the rear being less stiff, IMHO does not work, so without custom springs, I would never consider KW.

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
Got this info from a KW Coilover site:
Question: "Can I run a different spring rate?
KW’s engineers have worked very hard to match spring rates to the vehicle specific dampening rates inside each KW strut and shock absorber. This provides a very sporty and improved feel while still retaining a very comfortable ride. While on some applications, it is possible to change the spring rate, changing spring rates will ultimately compromise the perfect balance of performance and comfort that has been designed into the KW line of suspension products."

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
I read that as well and it's the reason why I won't recommend KWs with non custom springs
Having rear springs that are softer in our cars destroys the handling.
Been there, done that
There is a reason that every GM combination of springs and shocks, including the T3 winning ZOk setup has stiffer rear springs

I have was leery with the BGs being the same rate but decided to take a chance.  I've found that increasing the dampening on the rear by 5 more clicks makes the sky feel equal to having stiffer rear springs f

I really wonder if you can compensate for that on the KWs

I also have friends with KWs in their minis and all of them found the kw springs lacking.
All 3 have swapped in a custom swift spring and now love the combination.

Hey GJ
What's my # of suspension setups up to now?
I've lost count
:)

To date, the BGs are the best Ive had on the sky with the GMPP with ZOK springs coming in second but that is a non adjustable setup.  I like the fact that I can now tailor my ride for the environment I will be driving in

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
I'm running HKS's which are heavier than stock but still lighter in the back 8 and 6 I believe.  I like the way it handles. I run a couple of clicks harder in the front than in the back.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
B&G coilovers - On Sale!
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
Elff-

You are at 7.  7 different combos including two total fails, stock, and three decent attempts...
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
Thanks GJ
Critter, you have that backwards I believe
6Kg front
8Kg rear

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »
elff - GJ is correct the Spring Rate on the HKS Hipermax III are Front 8, Rear 6...
Those number are the same on the KW V3 Coil Overs, now why is that, both companies can't be wrong?  :huh:
I'm looking in buying a set of coil overs very, very soon, I got my eye's open on these Coil Over threads. Need to raise my car about 3/4 of an inch and willing to spend the $2K in doing so....  :banghead:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
GJ did not make the statement, Critterman did.
I did look it up myself and Critterman is correct. 
Why are we putting names in bold??

The attachment has every iteration of Shocks and Springs for our Kappas. [Flash's Owner provided this attachment]
Please note how the Rears are all stiffer than fronts.   

I've driven Crittermans car, but not on roads like where I live.  I have very poor roads.  On the roads around DeepBlueGxp's house, it felt really nice and I was very impressed. 
I am actually shocked that the fronts are stiffer. 
The other springs that I drove with the rear shocks being softer destroyed the handling.  It did aid traction, but that's something you do when you Drag race, Soften the rear stiffen the front, air down the rear, air up the front.  So I can see why that was the case.  Anytime I hit a drop off, the rear would slam down and one time I hit something metal. 

I'm really liking the BGs. 

Go buy the KWs and do a review.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

The attachment has every iteration of Shocks and Springs for our Kappas. [Flash's Owner provided this attachment]

I've driven Crittermans car, but not on roads like where I live.  I have very poor roads.  On the roads around DeepBlueGxp's house, it felt really nice and I was very impressed. 
I am actually shocked that the fronts are stiffer. 
The other springs that I drove with the rear shocks being softer destroyed the handling.  It did aid traction, but that's something you do when you Drag race, Soften the rear stiffen the front, air down the rear, air up the front.  So I can see why that was the case.  Anytime I hit a drop off, the rear would slam down and one time I hit something metal. 

I'm really liking the BGs. 

FYI - After our initial event with the Drift car at the autocross, we changed the rear springs on the KW setup we are running and it helped, we went slightly stiffer on the rear and left the front alone.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
Elves do know some things

Ok so on the ride to the restaurant to meet some friends I decided to play with the adjustment
I zeroed out the BGs by adjusting them to full hard then set them 13 clicks softer at all 4 corners
Halfway here they had cut out a section of pavement. God knows why
So at 60mph the sky dropped almost 2" then hit a 2" bump
The dampening and rebound worked great
Apparently Critters know stuff too.
Thankfully both front rims are undamaged.  This is why I won't run a 35 sidewall!!!!!!!!!
I am having a drink to recover
Tequilla and grand marnier.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
Elves do know some things

Ok so on the ride to the restaurant to meet some friends I decided to play with the adjustment
I zeroed out the BGs by adjusting them to full hard then set them 13 clicks softer at all 4 corners
Halfway here they had cut out a section of pavement. God knows why
So at 60mph the sky dropped almost 2" then hit a 2" bump
The dampening and rebound worked great
Apparently Critters know stuff too.
Thankfully both front rims are undamaged.  This is why I won't run a 35 sidewall!!!!!!!!!
I am having a drink to recover
Tequilla and grand marnier.

Nice choice of beverage. Ok, so tomorrow morning, I'm going to leave it 5 clicks hard in the back. In the way home, I'm going to keep the 5 difference but go harder in the front. We'll see what I get.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »
Sorry being OT, where can I find KW V3 spring rates values? I searched a lot and I can't find it, I only have part numbers of the springs.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
:( i want coil overs :(

I cant wait to post how im adjusting my 2 step LC every day ya jerks! you all make me green with envy, and my car just sits with the mouse nest mod  instead of a 2871

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
Mine are in the set it and forget it mode :)  set at street, right now the way it is set, I still feel every bump, doesn't lean in the turns, and I can step it out with a hard push on the gas or guide it around a corner with power on just not as much as when I dial the shocks into a harder setting
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
:( i want coil overs :(

I cant wait to post how im adjusting my 2 step LC every day ya jerks! you all make me green with envy, and my car just sits with the mouse nest mod  instead of a 2871

Blah, blah, blah. You can adjust however you want in 2 weeks. ;)

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
yeah but yours cant get out of a corner! you can dive in, but no power to get out :(

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
yeah but yours cant get out of a corner! you can dive in, but no power to get out :(

Which is why I dive in! Bad habits from being a sweep and following turbos all day. And not knowing any better. :(
Next spring when you're having more work done and mine is finished it'll be a different story! :lol:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »
Kelu
I went to the kw website directly

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
B&G coilovers - On Sale!
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
Ok, so tomorrow morning, I'm going to leave it 5 clicks hard in the back. In the way home, I'm going to keep the 5 difference but go harder in the front. We'll see what I get.

Could a moderator put this post in its own thread?  There are a MILLION possibilities here....

I'd give you 5 hard clicks in the back

I know lots of girls that like it harder in the front

See what I mean? 

IHawk, did you do that on purpose or are you so busy buying a house that you didn't even notice?
Make the right choices now

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2012, 01:11:07 AM »

Bold Names = The person I'm communicating with or people/Places/and things I want to bring attention too, Its a habit that I like....
I would like to buy the B&G RS2 Coil overs because I'm going by one of your statements on a post that they are the closes to our OEM spring rate specifications which I believe is true....  Thanks!

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
FYI - After our initial event with the Drift car at the autocross, we changed the rear springs on the KW setup we are running and it helped, we went slightly stiffer on the rear and left the front alone.
Dave - I've notice that you sell the KW V3 coil overs on your web site. Is their anyway you can modified (change) the rear spring rate for a potential customer to a 8.5 or even a 9? Making it: Front: 448 lbs / Rear 476 or 504 lbs.