Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Disabling p0420 code  (Read 2926 times)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Disabling p0420 code
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »
Well, cracked open the hptuners today for the first time in 3yrs since the car set off the p0420 code after about a week with the new cat. Solo sent the extension piece but the o2 would hit off the frame if i used it with the new cat-back since the bung is slightly angled. The mid-pipe must have been an off day for the welder.  :D

Anyway, on my last car, I just had to go into the dtc section and set it to not report and that was it. When I pulled the file from the saturn, there is also a post cat disable in the regular engine section. Would just disabling the post 02 check take care of it or do I need to change some other stuff?

Also looking through the rest of it, I have alot of learning to do. I think my brain melted a bit. This is like a supercomputer to the abacus that was the regals pcm.  :lol:
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Disabling p0420 code
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
The only issue with disabling it is the readiness codes will not complete which might be an issue if your area requires that for emissions.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
No problems for meeeeeeeeee :)

Almost none of the readyness codes complete in my car :lol:
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
The emissions in my area are a gas cap leak test and visual inspection. I got it though. Just did it the same way on my last car and it works.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
Well, cracked open the hptuners today for the first time in 3yrs since the car set off the p0420 code after about a week with the new cat. Solo sent the extension piece but the o2 would hit off the frame if i used it with the new cat-back since the bung is slightly angled. The mid-pipe must have been an off day for the welder.  :D

Anyway, on my last car, I just had to go into the dtc section and set it to not report and that was it. When I pulled the file from the saturn, there is also a post cat disable in the regular engine section. Would just disabling the post 02 check take care of it or do I need to change some other stuff?

Also looking through the rest of it, I have alot of learning to do. I think my brain melted a bit. This is like a supercomputer to the abacus that was the regals pcm.  :lol:

All you need to do is disable DTC 0420.  Since you are still running a cat (even a high flow) you'll still want all the COT protection on.  So don't disable those.

As for whether emissions will notice.  Depends.  Some areas don't do a readiness check, but only a sniffer, and a lack of DTC codes logged.  So as long as you reset the 0420 DTC, and then set it for say 5 occurrences before it logs a code, it would pass.

These days, I'm running a punched out stock cat, which I'm considering putting a second wideband A/F onto, and a gauge.  And in about 4 years when I have to pass a sniffer test, I'll simply put my original stock cat back on for the test.  And then put the punched out one back on, with some new turbo studs and high-temp anti-seize.  I've already removed and put back on the downpipe/cat many times.  I could probably use new studs by then.

I put in a new tune this last weekend, and my fuel trims are WAY off.  I've basically disabled my long term fuel trims.  I should start data logging my daily commute again to get the fuel trims closer again.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
yeah all i did was changed it in the dtc section and set it to no error report and unchecked the ses light box like i did on my other car.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500