Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Spring Rate Comparison GM Vs Aftermarket  (Read 77613 times)

Offline BeachParty

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Custom Fuse Box Covers
Re: Spring Rate Comparison GM Vs Aftermarket
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
Good luck!
2007 Sly Solstice GXP – with a super cool Fuse Box Cover

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
Good luck!
Thanks!
Tracking finally gave an estimated delivery date. I guess I'll find out on Friday :idk:
Joe
2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Mine didn't have tags, but rather painted yellow stripes. The tag was supposed to have yellow stripes, so I incorrectly assumed it was the right part. Why would they ship the wrong item? Instead of the car being lower in the rear, it sits about 5" higher than stock. It's hilarious.

If you get a set without tags, send a picture and have the supplier check with GM for confirmation. If the set does have the correct tags... congrats, you just got the last known pair.

ps. Tom at Crate Engine Depot has been super helpful throughout this process. It was GM's mistake and not his.
Doesn't look good

Joe

Offline BeachParty

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Custom Fuse Box Covers
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
Nope. Those are definitely the wrong rears. I was really pulling for you to get the right ones!

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
Nope. Those are definitely the wrong rears. I was really pulling for you to get the right ones!
well RATS!
I had to send an email with pics to the returns dept. I had him check to see if any GMPP springs were shown in inventory...no such luck :(

I called DDM about some BC's so hopefully I get my money back on these. As luck would have it i had set aside about a grand for the Norms fenders to be painted and the possible repainting of my hood but my P&B man gave me a quote of under $300  :yay: So looks like I will get some BC's soon
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:49:18 AM by stungjoe »
Joe

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
hey BeachParty,
Did they allow you to return the front springs? GmPartsDirect.com  will only allow me to return the rear springs :slap: so they can order another set or issue a credit. But I'm stuck with the front set :roll:
Joe

Offline BeachParty

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Custom Fuse Box Covers
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »
We are getting both sets refunded. You should too. Push hard for that. (I sent you a PM)

Hoping GM does the right thing on the installation costs that we incurred.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2016, 09:15:42 PM »
I just don't understand why people still buy from GMPARTS Direct

USE CRATEENGINEDEPOT
and get the shit you ordered
Speak with a Live person
and pay the same or less while being quoted an accurate price from the get go and not get blind sided with a stupid "Packaging fee"

I hope they take care of you, but they suck.

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »
I just don't understand why people still buy from GMPARTS Direct

USE CRATEENGINEDEPOT
and get the shit you ordered
Speak with a Live person
and pay the same or less while being quoted an accurate price from the get go and not get blind sided with a stupid "Packaging fee"

I hope they take care of you, but they suck.
I didn't know any better but in this particular case they were $60 cheaper for the same part numbers. Had I known the rear springs were no longer available i would have spoken with Dave at  DDM about the BC's.

I did pay through PayPal so I may have some other avenues to pursue regarding a refund.

BP,
I got your PM and thanks for the heads-up on the springs. At least I didn't get into the install before finding out!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:20:56 AM by stungjoe »
Joe

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
Well I finally got a call tag to send the front springs back. It's been over two months since I ordered them. At least now they show the rear springs on back-order so nobody else will go through this mess.
Joe

Offline BeachParty

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Custom Fuse Box Covers
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Great news, even if it took a while to resolve!  :yay:

Tom at Crate Engine Depot really came through for me in my case. He put a lot of effort into getting refunds. Top notch customer service for sure.

So... Are you going with the BC Coilovers?

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
It took asking for the supervisor of the guy I was dealing with. They sent call tags for the rears in November and then after asking for the boss I got call tags for the fronts. Full refund on the entire order  :cool: I sent the fronts back today.

I will probably do the BC's but with a softer spring than what they normally come with. I'm not sure yet. I have so much other stuff to put on now; intercooler, CAI, charge pipes(using the moola from the springs to order them), fenders, fender liners and some LED lighting for the trunk and footwells.

Which direction are going for the springs?
Joe

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
I will probably do the BC's but with a softer spring than what they normally come with. I'm not sure yet.

I would suggest doing what Elff did and have the front spring rate be 1k lower than the rear. Standard they come with 7k springs all the way around. I think Elff went with 5K front and 6K rear (or 6k front 7k rear...can't remember).  I started out with the 7K all the way around. With the Z0K anti-sway bar front and rear the front wanted to push a lot.  I set the fronts to full soft and the rears to full firm.  This helped but didn't solve the issue. I swapped out the front Z0K anti-sway bar with my stock FE2 anti-sway bar and the front got better but still not perfect. I then swapped the 7K front springs out with a 5K (so now 5k front, 7K rear) and the rear now wanted to come about. I went with the front shocks set to full firm, rear to full soft, and the ride is close to perfect. I will probably get a set of 6K springs and put those up front to see how they feel...hopefully this will give me some leeway in the damper settings rather than full soft and full firm to dial in the suspension.

Great thing with the BC Coils is changing out springs is very simple (no spring compressors needed) and the springs are something like $100 for a pair.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2017, 04:46:33 AM »
So far that has worked out great for me with zok sway bars front and rear

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
robo,
I was gonna do the softer rate up front/stiffer rate in the back based upon elff's recommendation but also because the GM engineers set it up this way in stock form. They obviously found something out in testing which lead them in this direction(or they might have just asked elff?? :)).  I'm not dissatisfied with my stock FE3 set up but in certain situations it's too butt bouncy and will squat exiting corners for some reason. It's not unnerving just unpleasant. This only occurs when it actually has grip from these A/S tires. It could very well be a result of the independent rear suspension where the ol' Mustang that I was used to was a stick axle. Plus I also want it half an inch lower.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:03:56 PM by stungjoe »
Joe

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:19 AM »
Well, rear squat isn't necessarily a bad thing...but if your car wants to push on power on corner exit then yea, you want to limit the amount of rear squat.

Elff, for street I liked the Z0K bars front and rear but with Autocross, the softer front end definitely is nicer. Like I said, if I went with the 6k front springs I'd be golden with the current setup. The softer bar up front gave me a lot more bite on turn in but the softer front springs kept too much weight up front mid corner and corner exit limiting how quick I could get back on power without the rear end breaking loose. I was able to dial this out with the damping but it would be nice to have a bit finer bit of adjustment by not maxing out the damper settings to get the car neutral.

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
I am pleasantly surprised to find a complete refund from gmpartsdirect.com (aka Flow Chevrolet) for the springs deposited into my PayPal account. This includes the original shipping costs!

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps this ESC could be the culprit for the unexpected squat. If the 'puter thinks it needs to apply a brake can it apply it to a single wheel? Maybe it's just an unusual (for me...still learning this car) drag placed on a single rear wheel that makes the rear end dip??? It's pretty brief when it does it. I know it's not just the traction control because I usually have it turned off. I am sometimes in Comp.Mode but hardly never in an "All Off" mode.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:12:41 PM by stungjoe »
Joe

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
Robo,
When I was autocrossing I ran the stock fe3 sway at up front and the ZOK rear for,the exact reason you state.  I totally agree.  For the street and with the over 100+HP my sky has now verse then, I run a balanced setup to avoid spinning into a tree or telephone pole.
 :thumbs:

Joe, I don't think esc is the cause as I run in comp mode all the time and did so in auto cross.

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »
Elff, now that's odd. I'm running the FE2 sway up front with the 5K springs (talk about SOFT) and so long as I'm max firm front and max soft rear on the dampers she's pretty neutral...

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »
I was tuned so 265rwhp when autocrossing but zok equivalent springs with better shocks.

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
That's about where I'm at (clutch is NOT liking me) power wise I have a feeling and will be increasing that soon when my new clutch is installed. Hope to have a new set of rubber on it too before the season starts. We'll see.