Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Spring Rate Comparison GM Vs Aftermarket  (Read 77760 times)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Spring Rate Comparison GM Vs Aftermarket
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
As long as you don't hammer it and don't haves long drive you could do that.  Worse case scenario would be uneven tire wear which you might be able to counter by rotting the tires more often.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
That's been my favorite setting so far.
:)
It is quite fun.  I'm glad you finally found a setting that you like.   

Yeah, it was freaking awesome in the twisties.  I did hit 2 of the bridge approaches in Canton Miller was referring to on the way back.  So Note to Self:  Do not drive in the left lane of I-77 North while going through Canton.  It think it was about the first one and it was especially brutal.  There was a second one on the far north side that was not much better but not nearly as hard.  Hit both of them going about 70 mph.

Other than the bridge approaches and some really messed up roads in Cleveland last night...it does pretty well with the small stuff at that setting.  Not anything you can do about a street that is almost all holes.  Found a few of those last night and I felt really bad for my poor passenger!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
Don't worry about them Hawk, they can get the fillings put back in at the Dentist.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
Don't worry about them Hawk, they can get the fillings put back in at the Dentist.

Thank gawd I only have one to worry about!!!  It's the flying out of the seat stuff that gets a little crazy!

Offline dengel

• Master Tech
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
Thank gawd I only have one to worry about!!!  It's the flying out of the seat stuff that gets a little crazy!

Maybe you need to get a racing harness put in for those bumps to keep you in your seat! :D

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
Maybe you need to get a racing harness put in for those bumps to keep you in your seat! :D

Oh for sure!  Our roads suck!!  And I'm still surprised by it when I hit one too!  The best one was when I came over a hill and there was a nice dip right over the top on Saturday.  That one really bounced it and I went flying!  I went "WEEEEEEEE!!!!!" on the radio!  That one was kinda cool though!!  :lol:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
There has been some suspension talk recently, so I decided to give this thread a bump.
If anyone has any other brands they would like added to the section grid, please post up and I will update

:thumbs:

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2016, 11:34:05 AM »
I've been thinking about mine lately as I drive. I love the stance but my B&G's at all the softest setting are very jarring on the road. Will a softer spring from another set  be a good idea to make the ride softer but then stiffen up in certain drive terrain?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
My favorite compromise has always been the gmpp springs on the stock shocks. 3/4" lower if I recall.
Make the right choices now

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
My favorite compromise has always been the gmpp springs on the stock shocks. 3/4" lower if I recall.

That is what I finally ended up with.  Doesn't knock you fillings out and still corners flat
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »
Yup.
Add backbone, LV and probeam and its all good.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
I've been thinking about mine lately as I drive. I love the stance but my B&G's at all the softest setting are very jarring on the road. Will a softer spring from another set  be a good idea to make the ride softer but then stiffen up in certain drive terrain?

Yes a softer spring would definitely help.  The B&G's have the stiffest springs out of all the brands.  You can order a set of swift springs in any rate you want. 

Actually it was the ZOK springs.  You can't buy the GMPO ones separate from the shocks.  The FE3 shocks are just a little soft on the rebound.   I wish you could buy the GMPO revolved Bilstein shocks separately.  I've spoken to Bilstein reps directly and those were a limited batch specifically made for GM.  Problem is, no one seems to have the information on how they re-valved them. 

I started working on installing my BC's today.  I was feeling better, but apparently, a dislocated rib takes longer to heal than I have allowed.  I immediately felt it when I started to undo the 18MM nut on the Ball joint and decided it would be in my best interest to not continue and not be able to finish all 4 corners.  O well, still lots of warm weather driving available.  I'll get them installed at some point.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
Elff, I'm not sure how to look for just springs in this situation? Meaning what size of spring will work right. I would guess going ZOK compression but how were your Ellf BC's 5/6 work out? Maybe someone has straight LNF springs?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
Elff, I'm not sure how to look for just springs in this situation? Meaning what size of spring will work right. I would guess going ZOK compression but how were your Ellf BC's 5/6 work out? Maybe someone has straight LNF springs?

Not sure what you are asking in that last sentence. I just took off the FE3 LNF stock springs on my Sky Redline and replaced them with ZOKs. Did the sway bars too. Nice .5" drop and drives great. I have the shocks/springs/sway bars from the changeout. The shocks came from my GXP which now has BC Racing Coilovers installed.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »

You would get on the phone with Swift[or a registered dealer]
They would ask you for some measurements on the springs that came with the B&G's
and once you provided that information, they could ship you springs that would be the correct diameter and length.

Not sure what you are asking in that last sentence. I just took off the FE3 LNF stock springs on my Sky Redline and replaced them with ZOKs. Did the sway bars too. Nice .5" drop and drives great. I have the shocks/springs/sway bars from the changeout. The shocks came from my GXP which now has BC Racing Coilovers installed.
You need to read his post before this one.
he doesn't have stock components, he has B&Gs

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »
It all makes sense in my head but I dont always write it out that way. Elff, how were your 5/6 BC's or is that what you are installing now?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »
That is what I will be installing so unfortunately I don't have any feedback yet.
They are still sitting in the box.

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »
I have the full ZOK setup on my GXP (sway bars front and rear, shocks and springs front and rear) also have the ZOK alignment.
I also have the ProBeam, BackBone and LVKFCB. The car is fine to drive on the street and road coarse.
I do not do Autox so have no idea how it would perform.
How much does this lower the front/rear? I have read so many threads but somewhere it said the LNF ZOK springs lowered the front about 3/4" and the rear about 1/2" Is this correct? I also read the GMPP springs would lower it around 3/8" all around. Can I run the GMPP springs on stock LNF FE3 shocks? Not looking to lower the ride that much just looking for a bit stiffer spring. Thx
Joe
2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
you can't  buy the GMPP springs without the GMPP shocks
but, they are basically the ZOK Springs, so you would just buy them and install them on the FE3 shocks.

What you have read is that ZOK springs does lower it just under 1" so what you posted is accurate. It really is not that significant but the ride will stiffen up.

I think it's what you are looking for.

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
you can't  buy the GMPP springs without the GMPP shocks
but, they are basically the ZOK Springs, so you would just buy them and install them on the FE3 shocks.

I priced the whole GMPP kit and it would be around the same price as the BC set. I just don't need/want the level of adjustability the BC's offer.  I'm just not sure I want to lower it as much as the LNF ZOK springs will either. I will have to find out more about these spring seats that were talked about. Something along the lines that they were needed to allow production flow on the assembly line (clearance issues). They were supposed to be taken out at the dealer...do you have any clue to what I'm referring?

EDIT: I did find the ZOK springs for $304 shipped
Joe

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
At least the GXPs with the Z0K package were shipped with 2 spring seats on each of the shocks to provide a bit more clearance for shipping.  There was no provision to pay the dealers to remove the springs and shocks to remove the extra spring seats.

I don't remember whether or not this also applied to the base model Z0Ks.

:idk:

Aggressive #000741

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »
At least the GXPs with the Z0K package were shipped with 2 spring seats on each of the shocks to provide a bit more clearance for shipping.  There was no provision to pay the dealers to remove the springs and shocks to remove the extra spring seats.

I don't remember whether or not this also applied to the base model Z0Ks.

:idk:

That's what I was talking about! I'm sure there's a part number but not likely to be available.
Hopefully the LNF ZOK springs won't lower it too much. I just know these stock FE3 springs squat too much and are a bit bouncy for my tastes. Thanks guys!
Joe

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »
They were shipped that way so they could get off the production  line.
They were always intended to remove the additional perch.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Spring Rate Comparison GM Vs Aftermarket
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »
My set up was the best compromise of ride and handling.
I just can't remember what it was.

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:12 AM »
They were shipped that way so they could get off the production  line.
They were always intended to remove the additional perch.

I wonder how many of those guys are still riding around with those things still installed? haha

My set up was the best compromise of ride and handling.
I just can't remember what it was.
:thumbs:
I will search your posts to see if you ever said.
Joe