Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Parking light wiring problem  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
Parking light wiring problem
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Hi,

I've checked my Opel GT for the parking light!

So one wire and the contact in the connector is missing. :mad:

The wires of the front foglight and the turn signal are as follows:

blue (turn signal / parking light)
brown (turn signal / parking light) not supported
black (turn signal / parking light)

purple (foglight)
black (foglight)

The wires from the harness to the connector are as follows (seen from above):

blue
missing wire (would support the brown one)
purple
black

Can someone tell me the color of the missing wire and from where to where it's going? :huh:
(hope my English is correct)
Maybe its connecting the parkinglight in the headlight with the turning signal. :idk:

Oliver  :usa:

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Re: Parking light wiring problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
The information that you need for a US based vehicle is:

The amber side lamp will just come on as a parking lamp.
The small light in the headlight will just come on as a parking lamp as well. This, from the factory is just a standard white light.
The bumper light in the foglight housing is what you want. It will end up being a 4157NA. From here, you will need to buy the right socket to work with this bulb so that you are able to hook up your front turnsignal that you are missing. Which you found out as the brown wire.

A quick and dirty way to do the conversion is get a 4157amber led bulb (dont cheap out and get the top ones which = $$ and the brightest). That way you wont have to worry any power or load issues. After that, can just run the wire from the sidemarker, that flashes already for you, and run that to your missing terminal.

In my head that should work. Arabas can probably help with this as well since hes well aware of how the gt lights function and are wired.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
Hi

thank you for your help! :thumbs:

I'm not missing the turn signal, the parking light (which is also the turning signal in the foglight housing) is not working! :idk:
Opel has disabled it, because it's not allowed in Germany!

So when I'm importing my car to the USA, I want it to meet  the U.S. specs. :D

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
Ooooh, I think I got you.

So, tell me if Im right.

The little light in the headlight comes on when you put your parking lights on, but is white. Like a driving light.
The side marker only acts as a turn signal.
The front bumper light only acts as a turn signal.

If thats correct and you want the bumper light to be a parking light, the only thing youd need to do is tap into the  run a wire down from the small bulb in the headlight to the bumper light. Since your bumper light acts as a turn signal, i would assume that it is already a 4157NA bulb and just need the other lead to trigger the other filament inside. If that is the case, all you really need to do is pick up 4157 socket that has the three wires (park/signal/ground) and then just wire it up.

Unless, your socket looks like this: (from arabas' thread)

And then those three wires goes to the connector with the two foglight wires attached to the back of the parking light/fog housing. From there, you are missing the brown wire comming out the other side that would lead into the harness going into the vehicle main harness. If thats really the case, you just need to tap into the small bulb in the headlight (the one that isnt the black wire of the two) then run a wire from there to the brown wire comming out of the socket.

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
Hi,

thank you for your help!!!! :urock:

I've replaced one wire and taped it to the existing headlight wire. :D

Wow the parking light is working. :yay:

It's pretty tricky to open the harness and then to wrap it again with electrical tape (ouch my fingers). :gaah:

Hope the cops won't mind, because the U.S. parking light isn't allowed in Germany. :nuts:

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
No problem. If they say something, just leave it unhooked until you go through the process of shippng it over.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500