Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Plasti dip  (Read 14708 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Plasti dip
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:16:25 AM »
Since it s a new trend I think it should have a thread of its own. Anyone who has used it pls advise (GJ do u copy?)
Pls also post the actual product u chose and where did you buy it from.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:32:34 AM by Arabas »
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Re: Plasti dip
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:44 AM »
I watched some wheels for a solstice get coated a couple weeks ago. Turned out great. It was just the standard cans of matte black plastidip from home depot. really cleaned up the old tired chrome rims

Once my slicks come in, I plan to plastidip those wheels in the same fashion
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ebrown0104

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
I just bought a set of the Aftershock recessed grilles, and I used the spray-on matte black Plasti-dip from Home Depot for the honeycomb part.  It turned out great - matches the stock grille color nearly perfectly.  I'll have to post some pictures when I get home from work later

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Plasti dip
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
http://www.plastidip.com/

I learned everything I know about plasti dip from Elff, IHawk, and you tube.

I will say, if painting parts while still on the car, tape off around and use a big blanket. Some of the videos suggest you don't even need to tape anything off, so I tried that too. They are right, everything just peels off. But, the thin areas near the perimeter of the spray can be a bear to clean and I ended up re-waxing some areas. Certainly doable, but not worth saving $1.25 in blue tape.

Watch a couple videos on you tube and you should be good to go. I would make a you tube video, but my feet are already under a contract with a modeling agency and I can't run the risk of showing them in the video.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
How much is for a can. I can't get it around here and US companies don't ship to Greece.. Procedure is same as spray painting?
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
I really want to do the windshield surround next.

Any suggestions for prep work? I used a very diluted harsh cleaner on the wheels, then just washed and rinsed, but I plan to just wash the surround. Also, I was gonna paint it in my garage, but GJ just brought up a good point about covering say the top more.

Anyone know if the pigment they use in this will bleed thru over time? Just in case I want to peel it off in the future.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
How much is for a can. I can't get it around here and US companies don't ship to Greece.. Procedure is same as spray painting?

$6 here.

As for procedures, we sprayed 4 to 5 very light coats on the wheels. This stuff has a bit of a texture to it, so if you get a bit heavy in one area,  the texture will help conceal it. It will also spread a bit if the surface is warm and that helps if an area is sprayed a little heavy or uneven.

Only used a little over a can to do 4 wheels.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
I really want to do the windshield surround next.

Any suggestions for prep work? I used a very diluted harsh cleaner on the wheels, then just washed and rinsed, but I plan to just wash the surround. Also, I was gonna paint it in my garage, but GJ just brought up a good point about covering say the top more.

Anyone know if the pigment they use in this will bleed thru over time? Just in case I want to peel it off in the future.

I just did my A pillar. First I wiped it down with some wax and tar remover. Then I masked about 3 inches of the windshield and the weather stripping. Put down several coats and femoved the masking tape. There was still a little bit of overspray on the windshield which I removed with some denatured alcohol and a rag.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Now I need to do the tulip area.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Plasti dip
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
Brazen,
I did the windsheild surround as well, and same results.  Also need to do the tulip.  I am in love with this stuff right now.  I keep finding new things to dip. ( no, I haven't tried it there yet, and that's just gross!)
Make the right choices now

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
Thx for all the info guys and gals!
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
Brazen,
I did the windsheild surround as well, and same results.  Also need to do the tulip.  I am in love with this stuff right now.  I keep finding new things to dip. ( no, I haven't tried it there yet, and that's just gross!)

I'd say stay away from tortilla chips too!

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
I've done the Sky chrome front grill and a front chrome on the 9-5. Held up well this winter. I like the windshield surround idea. :)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
I've done the Sky chrome front grill and a front chrome on the 9-5. Held up well this winter. I like the windshield surround idea. :)

Very easy mod to do. You have to get up fairly close to see any issues (mine has a few splatters) but with the matte sheen they seem to blend in very well. It might just be the particular can I'm using but the spray tip spatters a bit. Still looks good though. Makes the car a little more aggressive looking I'd say. I'll try to post a pic today if I can find a camera...with a charged battery that is.  :lol:

I think I will spay the spoiler next and see how that looks.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »
Here's a pic.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
I'm going to go get a few cans of that stuff and try it out. Is there any problem peeling it off Later?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
None,  we messed up twice on a gas cap,  peeled it off and on the third attempt got it correct. By correct I mean we blocked our friend from knocking it over a 3rd time. 
 :slap:

I posted pics of 3 things we painted on the wife's mini in the what Did you do thread. 
It's good stuff

Offline sirmeili

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
I actually used this on the center part of my automatic gear selector ( I had the chrome version and it had really bad reflections in the florida sun). I really like the idea of using this for the tulip bar and the a-frame. It has worked well in the spot i've used it, so I'm thinking it will work well everywhere else.

For those curious about removal, you can just peal it off and you get back to the original paint. There shouldn't be any damage.

Also, does any one know if there is anywhere to get the Aftershock recessed grills? I see they were pulled due to manufacturing problems. I really like how they look!

Offline numbbers

• Tech
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Oh boy!  I will have a lot of uses for this stuff.
Thanks, Dave Russell

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Deep
Ebony Leather
Chrome

Offline ebrown0104

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
Also, does any one know if there is anywhere to get the Aftershock recessed grills? I see they were pulled due to manufacturing problems. I really like how they look!
I made a topic here and at solsticeforum.com in the classifieds that I wanted to purchase a set.  Luckily, I found someone who wanted to sell theirs and bought them.  But aside from that, I don't know of any other way to get them.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
I stopped at 2 H/D stores before I found the PlastiDip so I got 3 cans 5.98 each + tax .Now I have to wait for some clear and warm weather to use it on the Solstice .I'm taking a can with me to Florida for the PT maybe.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
I stopped at 2 H/D stores before I found the PlastiDip so I got 3 cans 5.98 each + tax .Now I have to wait for some clear and warm weather to use it on the Solstice .I'm taking a can with me to Florida for the PT maybe.

Don't tell GJ how much you paid for those cans. It's a sore spot with him...

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
It probably cost more in CA because they have to put an extra special warning label about how it causes birth defects/cancer/child abuse/or some other yet to be discovered harmful problem on everything.  I am glad I don't live there because I couldn't handle how so much stuff I use safely here in Hellinois is so dangerous once you take it to California.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
I know when I painted the A-pillar I huffed a bit of it and so far as I know I'm more or less ok. whne I pnited th pilArrrrr

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »

You know if you wanta to play you gota Pay . thats anywhere you live
Mods