Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 17" or 18" drag radials for drag racing  (Read 8985 times)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Re: 17" or 18" drag radials for drag racing
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
It will fit better in a box if the tire is square. 

like those japanese square watermelons
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
Large hat box, like a cowboy hat?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
Critterman: That is a pretty good idea, I remember my ex-boss actually flew from US with 4 jeep tires  :lol:

I have pretty much decided about what tires I am aiming:
Dropped the Nitto 555R and BFG because seems like they are pretty good street tire with huge mileage but not so great about grip at the track also dropped Toyo TQ because they don't offer proper sizes and i can't find too many reviews.

The new list is:
1) Hoosier - D.O.T. DRAG RADIAL
2) M&H - Racemaster Drag Radial
3) Mickey Thompson - ET Street Radial II
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 05:30:19 AM »
I like your list.

I have not seen many mickey ET streets in our size out in the wild. I know they are a VERY reliable slick. Everyone who has the $$ to spend buys them on street/strip project cars. The M&H is known as one of the stickiest tires on the planet, so those should do pretty well, however that is all talk since no one has even used them at the strip yet.

The Hoosiers I have heard mixed reviews about. Tons of people run them, however the DR tires that fit our cars are typically motor cycle tires, so it can be a PITA to get a matched set (equal outer diameter) I have also heard others say they fit poorly on some wheels and all have said they are a major PITA to mount. However I think that may be the case with all drag radials.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
Are you talking about M&H slicks or DRs?

245/45/17 Hoosier DR on a 360hp FWD VW Golf did a 1.9s on sixty on our strip, so they have a good review from me based on that.
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
245/45/17 Hoosier DR on a 360hp FWD VW Golf did a 1.9s on sixty on our strip, so they have a good review from me based on that.

Sorry, when I see hoosier, my mind goes directly to slicks, not DR. the slicks are the ones that it can be difficult to find a matched set.

I think any of the DR on your list will be effective.

Honestly in your situation kelu, I would get whatever is cheapest and most available. I doubt you are really going to be disappointed with any of the DR on your list.

What is the most common DR/slicks in europe? (just curious)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
NONE, they are prohibited to be sold cause they don't have the "E" (the european DOT) approval. Deh, protecting european market from US products :(

Most often used are Toyo R888 and Yoko semi-slick, they are very expensive around here, like 400-500$ each for 18" and I would never buy them on because they are for circuit/road racing. In 2009 I borrowed 2 x 17x9 rims with R888 and I could do a 1.92s on sixty:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:59:30 PM by Kelu »

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
He should be able to get about the same sixty time with the M&H and high 19's or very low 2.0 with the MT
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
Me? I think and hope DR are far better than Toyo R888, I hope a 1.90s on sixty to be maximum, my great expectations are 1.8s with good DRs.

Speedracer69 was doing 1.7s with MT, yes I can't compare with US tracks but still I hope 1.8s to be achievable.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
This the reply from Mickey Thompson from UK:
"Thanks for your enquiry, we are unable to bring these tyres to Europe at present due to current EU law, sorry."

Damn, I have to buy from US.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
F the EU, bunch of pu$$ies
:D

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
This the reply from Mickey Thompson from UK:
"Thanks for your enquiry, we are unable to bring these tyres to Europe at present due to current EU law, sorry."

Damn, I have to buy from US.

I know if you want M&H DR's Buschur will ship overseas if you would like... and they have DR's in stock right now in 245/45/R17. (assuming you plan to go to 17" wheels)

A quick email to their sales staff will let you know when you could expect them and what your shipping charge will be. Nick Ryan: nick@buschurracing.com

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
Thanks for info miller, I didn't decided yet but I would prefer 18" for the moment.

elff: I AGREE 100%