Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2012 Romanian Drag Racing Championship  (Read 44834 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: First stage 2012 Romanian Drag Racing Championship
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
Yes, is prepped but not at the level from US.

If you check the videos you can see that inside lanes are black and outside lanes are not prepped for 4x4 or street tires.

Some results on 60ft to understand the level of prep:
- 1.84s Honda Civic 200hp NA FWD
- 1.92s Golf GTI who won my group with Hoosier DR
- 2.2s for me with Michelins PS2 on unprepped area, with street tires is worse on prepped surface.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
Kelu,

What are you referring to as unprepped?  Sometimes it looks like simply sweeping the rocks and sand would be a big help.  Or get a big blower to clean the areas?  Or is it more that the asphalt is just crappy?  No layer of rubber from years of use?  Would a burn out competition the day before the races be of any help?

Make the right choices now

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 01:46:17 AM »
Do you guys use PJ1 trackbite to prep or something else?

I have always noticed that even street tires benefit from the PJ1 being put down, and with you saying the flat concrete is better than your prepped surface makes me wonder if you use something different. PJ1 was known as VHT trackbite a few years back. Here is the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ1_TrackBite

That being said a simple track walk of you and your fellow racers would probably help as well. common leaf blowers as GJ suggests could help clear debris as well. (big with the auto X guys & air force guys)

GJ, a burnout competition would benefit, but just guessing from the difficulty to get slicks in Romania in the first place, would probably be cost prohibitive. That is why most drag strips let the slick tire cars go before the street tire cars. (slicks have to be warmed up and leave more rubber on the track due to their softer compounds.)
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 01:46:43 AM »
Maybe sweep the track and let some of the Guys that like Burn-outs put some rubber in the starting box ,Just to get a good Launch off the line.also a water box to heat up the tires would help
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »
Kelu,

What are you referring to as unprepped?  Sometimes it looks like simply sweeping the rocks and sand would be a big help.  Or get a big blower to clean the areas?  Or is it more that the asphalt is just crappy?  No layer of rubber from years of use?  Would a burn out competition the day before the races be of any help?
We have a sweeper to clean the starting area before each race but being in open field and the never ending wind from that area brings dust back on the track.

The asphalt is actually concrete of big blocks installed when the airfield was build in the 50-60', we can't do too many things on surface because the airfield is open all the time, we just rent it for 2-4 weekends per year, we are lucky they allowed us to preppe an area.

miller11386 yes, we use VHT to prep the track BUT the concrete is not a perfect surface to lay down VHT, a good perfect condition asphalt as base would have a lot more benefit, but this is what we have.

1 LIL NDN We have an water-burnout area but is about 20 yards behind the starting line to avoid getting water into the staging area

VHT helps only for soft compound tires (at least semi-slicks or drag radials), for street tires is a lot worse that unprepped pavement.

Here are some pictures for a better view of the surface:
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I love how relaxed everyone is over there.

This would never happen in the US [Legally that is]

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
interesting. That is identical to an IHRA track that I go to. They just put in all new sections of concrete.

Not sure about the science behind the VHT/PJ1, but everyone over here mixes it with methanol to make it "work properly" Not sure if you guys throw methanol in yours or not.

IMO its a pretty decent surface! I have raced on worse here in the states.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
First stage 2012 Romanian Drag Racing Championship
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
I love how relaxed everyone is over there.

This would never happen in the US [Legally that is]

While I agree with Elff, the regulations will grow and adapt as the speed, frequency and injuries increase. Once the event becomes really profitable, the government will step in and dictate everything.  Unless Romania doesn't have lawyers, it will gravitate towards what we have here. Not all of that is bad certainly, but it will become less relaxed.

These are my thoughts and opinions, they are not law. 
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
miller11386: we mix VHT with ethanol also and we played last year with different combination until we got it right. Getting right means a 800hp 4x4 with best 8.8s on this surface to bog off the starting line  :D

elff: dunno what you about everybody being relax here, you should see the argues between pilots especially on street category where are the biggest ambitious when finals starts  :D

GJ: god thank we didn't had any injuries and we are pretty much strict when is about safety regarding public or funny cars and we try to do strict in a nice and pleased manner making them to realize that we do it for their own good.

By affiliating to the Romanian Automotive Federation means we are getting under the government because the federation is regulated by the Sports Minister so ... we are getting there. But in this way we can name our championship as official national and we hope we can attract sponsors far easier.

This races can't be profitable in next 2-4 years if we want to make more progress in organization part, we need a dedicated strip which costs at least 1 million without the land, we need equipment worth of 100 grand on top of what we have. Hard to make profit in this case in next 5 years.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
interesting. That is identical to an IHRA track that I go to. They just put in all new sections of concrete.

Not sure about the science behind the VHT/PJ1, but everyone over here mixes it with methanol to make it "work properly" Not sure if you guys throw methanol in yours or not.

IMO its a pretty decent surface! I have raced on worse here in the states.

Only Differance is like Kelu said They have a constant Wind that coats the Track Also.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
Yeah, the traction is not bad as it was some years ago thanks to VHT but you need soft compound tires which a pair costs same price as a new turbo around here :D

For those with facebook  :poke: you can see about 600 nice pictures from this race here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.409194532436015.93122.172428856112585&type=1
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:33:46 AM by Kelu »

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
Kelu, Im going to pickup my slicks on monday :) So I will let you know how they react to the VHT when I get my car going

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
Kelu

I meant from a legal point of view.  I am sure the competition is insane!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
Kelu, Im going to pickup my slicks on monday :) So I will let you know how they react to the VHT when I get my car going

At the moment you and Sky888 are incredibly competitive.  :poke:  :lol:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
Second stage of Romanian Drag Racing National Championship took place last weekend, I wasn't there because I had to take care of some personal things and attending to a good old friend's wedding.

I'm on 4th place overall still, the Golf GTI tuned by APR won both races in my class and he will be present to all races, 1st place is almost gone already.

Next race in June and I will attend, I hope with better performance as last race.

Here is the official video of the 2nd race:
DragRacingEvents ARAD 2012
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:27:06 PM by Kelu »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
Killer Video

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Nice Video!  The racing clips were cool and the scenery wasn't bad either!  :D

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
wow looks like you guys are attracting quite the cool cars over there. Love the lambo, gtr and esp that old Z28! nice to see a proper american car showing up to show you romanians how to make some power...

However i dont even want to know what he pays in tax for that car over there! :lol:

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »
nice video!!! too bad your GT wasn't in it ...
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »
apparently you don't need him anymore, but no harm in informing you.
that greek tuner you once waited for, will be dismissed from the army in 4 days
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
What do you know that we don't know?

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Miller: that Z28 came from hungary is not from Romania  :rofl: I loved to see it racing in our country, about 1500hp  :D

Arabas: thanks for the info but we dropped that guy :D we are working with a different one, please let's keep this topic about races, tuning my car on a different topic

Elff: nothing important, last year I used a greek ecu tuner which got into the army when he was supposed to finish my tune, not important info :D

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:28:36 AM by Kelu »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
3rd stage took place on 22 of June.

Trailer Tulcea Iunie 2012 DragRacingEvents

Some highlights:
- New full street national record for gas engine: 9.77s by the grey Nissan GTR - AMS Alpha 12
- New diesel national record: 1.9 tdi Seat Ibiza - 12.1s
- Another 2-3 cars reached 10s
- New record in my group (under 2L Turbo or 3.8L NA - FWD or RWD): 12.3s

I raced only 2 runs because I had problems with the tune, still on 6th place on championship in my group.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
I immediately recognized the seats from your shops GTR before they panned back to show the whole car.

Awesome video

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
I can't get over how close the spectators are to the racers.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia