Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Anyone using Trackmaster?  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Anyone using Trackmaster?
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
I have just found this Android App called Trackmaster.  http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome.  Anyone using this, especially for autocross?  I am going to try it this weekend - it looks like just want I want for monitoring my performance on a run.  And, something I am not going to try at first, it can link with video and with Torque to get car data (I might be interested in throttle position, boost, and revs) (see http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/forums/-/message_boards/message/54350).

If someone has used this, I would really like to hear your experience.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:25:02 PM by Treeman »
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Re: Anyone using Trackmaster?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
The first link's broken due to the trailing period but other than that, this looks pretty cool.

I picked up torque years ago to track my laps for the same reason (and to log car data like throttle position, braking, temps ,etc) since it logs to google maps but my cheap-o ebay adapter doesn't connect long enough to do anything but clear codes.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »
Link's fixed.

Although I will start simple (without them), I also like the idea of getting split times to see how I do on different sections of a course.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
That was my main reason.  I wanted immediate feedback on what I was doing, where and how it affected speed and lap times.

Offline rlhammon

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I've used Trackmaster, but you can't export the video out easily... so it's of no real use to me if I can only watch it on my phone... screen isn't big enough (even on my large phone) to see details I'm looking for.

Another solution, which allows easy exporting, is ALapRecorder (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.adyno.alaprecorderhd)

Link is to the HD version, but once you get to the Play Store you can search from there again if you don't have HD use.  You can use the trial version (complete version) and store two files only.  You could delete a file, and record another... which is find to test it out, but it's been worth the money to upgrade.

I've looked into SuperChips as well, since you can actually tune with it... but haven't purchased this one since I have a Trifecta setup.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superchips.vivid

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
Interesting. I'll check it out.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
It looks better but more complicated.  I think I am going to start simple with Trackmaster since I already have it and go from there.  I also am not starting with the video.  I either have to move my phone mount or get an external unit.  Again, starting simple.

Question, are you using external GPS or the phone's?
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline rlhammon

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
It looks better but more complicated.  I think I am going to start simple with Trackmaster since I already have it and go from there.  I also am not starting with the video.  I either have to move my phone mount or get an external unit.  Again, starting simple.

Question, are you using external GPS or the phone's?

I'm using an external GPS, only because for autocross racing the transitions are so quick I needed the added resolution.  I think ALapRecorder is easier to use than TrackMaster personally, plus you can pull the video off the phone, edit, and do what you like.

If you are not using Video... then Torque is great for data logging... but I can't seem to get a few things logged that I would like (A/F Ration, LTFT, STFT).  I've heard you can program custom PID's into Torque, but I haven't figured out how to do that.  If I did... then I'd have a free data logger for autocrossing.  :)

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
I will give it a try. I use Torque but it is best for engine monitoring like a Dashawk. It has the extended PIDs now but I and many others cant seem to get them to work for GM. Not thru googling that though.

Trackmaster was a piece of cake yesterday and gave me useful results. But I did see the need for a better GPS.

I will look more at your app. Mainly I did not have enough time to get familiar with it before yesterday. And, if I start looking at buying add on eqipment such as the gps, I might look atba dedicated data logger.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Results and screenshot: Anyone using Trackmaster?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
So the trick to Trackmaster seems to be using their MyTrackmaster.com, which is no big deal since it is free.  It automatically will sync the data with your phone (supposedly including video but since I did not take video I can't attest to this) and load it for review on the web.

Here is a shot of data from one of my runs.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I found it very easy to use.  At the event, I just went to the stop box and tapped on the screen to add a split to end the run.  (I will add more splits on a track walk next time).  I set it to start on movement and then all I had to do was to hit start as I pulled in the start box.  It started logging when I launched and stopped automatically at the stop box.  The time was about a half second off, which I put down to the inaccuracy of the GPS.  Put, this is not bad data for about $5.  I will probably get an external GPS at some point which is supposedly about $70.  And see about a way to mount the phone so I can use its camera for video.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:56:13 PM by Treeman »
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
That looks like Bowie Baysocks parking lot :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
That it is.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline rlhammon

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
So the trick to Trackmaster seems to be using their MyTrackmaster.com, which is no big deal since it is free.  It automatically will sync the data with your phone (supposedly including video but since I did not take video I can't attest to this) and load it for review on the web.

Here is a shot of data from one of my runs.
(Attachment Link)

I found it very easy to use.  At the event, I just went to the stop box and tapped on the screen to add a split to end the run.  (I will add more splits on a track walk next time).  I set it to start on movement and then all I had to do was to hit start as I pulled in the start box.  It started logging when I launched and stopped automatically at the stop box.  The time was about a half second off, which I put down to the inaccuracy of the GPS.  Put, this is not bad data for about $5.  I will probably get an external GPS at some point which is supposedly about $70.  And see about a way to mount the phone so I can use its camera for video.

This has changed a lot since I last looked at it, and I must admit I didn't go back and look when you posted up your thread.  I just downloaded it and will be putting it through the paces this weekend.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Playing with this more, I have realized 2 things.  First, is I screwed up because I cannot overlay my runs.  That is because the recorded in separate "sessions".   :banghead:  Checking the TrackMaster forum, the way to avoid that is to chose the same session in the session dropdown in the little screen with the Start button.

Second, I downloaded my run data to Excel and tried side by side comparisons.  The data is useless for that given the 1Hz rates of the phone GPS.   :gaah:  So, I have ordered a BT-Q818XT: Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz Bluetooth GPS Receiver, $85 from Amazon.  TrackMaster recommends running at 5Hz because that is plenty of data and does not overwhelm the phone's processor.  I will then also place splits around my next course and should have some good stuff to look at them. 

But, that's a month away due to vagaries of the autocross schedule here and family duties.   :(
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline rlhammon

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
I tested this out last weekend, and it works nicely... but I forgot to grab my GPS puck when I headed out.  I have that same puck, works great, and on my phone the 10Hz doesn't bog it down at all (I use it and Torque, and run the video on the phone, all works fine on a Galaxy Nexus, YMMV).

I was hoping there was a video option on this app, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.  I also can't seem to figure out how to download the data from the website, doesn't seem intuitive at all to me.  I also had the "sessions" problem... and I don't see a way to option select to keep it from happening in the future.

All in all I like aLapRecorder better, as it overlays the data onto the video, I can export it (gives you .CSV files for the data side, and a video file) which can be droped in RaceRender (free video software), and edited eaisly for review later / posting to YouTube.  I'm going to use aLapRecord this weekend at a dual weekend event, and log Torque as well.

If you find a way to do custom PID's on Torque, that's what I really need.  I'd like to log these parameters:

A/F ratio, boost, timing, Kr, fuel pressure

I can't seem to get those currently... and with that, video, and the GPS puck, I don't need anything else to do analysis of my runs.  Video alone (from my GoPro) helped me and my co-driver get faster and won a National Tour event to boot.  The data side is helping this season already.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
I cant speak to the video since Im not there yet. The data I got easily use the share function on the phone. You are right, I dont see how to do it on the web site. I think the sessions thing is just a matter of remembering to do it each run. 

I will have try your app sometime but am ok with what Ive got for now.

As for Torque and extended PIDs, it aint there for now. I did lots of digging on the web and only found frustrated folks. I did find out that, being extended and not part of the standard spec, they are proprietary and GM charges a bundle for tye spec. Similar complaints for other automakers extended PIDs.  Dont know how Dashawk got them but lots of wishes for them to make an Android app. In the meantime, I give up.

Thanks for the.comparison.
2009 Aggressive GXP
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Sound Deadener Showdown
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline rlhammon

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
Gave up on Trackmaster and was Beta testing the Android App "SoloStorm".  Excellent, purpose built app for autocross.  I don't think this thing can be beat.  Not available in the Play Store though... look for "Petrel Data" and "Solo Storm" and you'll find it.