Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Race wheels.... what color? (please post opinions)  (Read 47562 times)

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Race wheels.... what color? (please post opinions)
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
I picked these wheels up on the cheap, and will be mounting some runner tires on the front, and some M&H slicks on the rears. The question is, what color should they be painted? Keep in mind these wont see a ton of miles, and will spend most of their time off of the car. So cleaning is not an issue.

I am going to plasti-dip them before I commit to powder coating them at work, however I am curious what others opinions are. Keep in mind, my sky is silver and most of the chrome will be staying as is... so what color would you pick?

(Incoming asinine comments... in 3...2...1...)
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Race wheels.... what color? (please post opinions)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
I'd choose Black for the spokes and leave the center caps and the rest the current color.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
miller11386  Plasti dip has 4 different colors plus Clear  . Just google Plasti Dip web site and pick what you want
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »
My opinion leave them as they are.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Race wheels.... what color? (please post opinions)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
Nothing to do with the wheels, but why did you photograph them NAK3D?  Your shoes are in one corner, jeans in another....

What color is your car?  Silver?  Are these for drag racing only?  Are you looking for "wow look at me" or "nothing to see here"?
Make the right choices now

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
I was considering white plastidip as the color. Many have suggested black, but it seems boring. Everyone does black.

Yeah I want them to be a bit flashy as they will be the "go out and play" tires

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
Problem is, your car is Silver

That actually limits the choices to me.
If you had Black or Midnight Blue or even white, any choice of a crazy color would work, but with Silver its a tough call.

My Other call would be Gold.
Do up the precious Metal theme

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
i will not be doing gold :lol:

I am pretty sure its going to be dipped black or white on the first round. Just not sure which to go with.

I dont really see the black working, because the car is silver, and I am not dechroming at all. I plan to keep the stock wheels chrome, so I am not basing the color scheme off of my track wheels.

This was my thought process to get to white.... Ideally I would like monster green, but you cannot get it in a rattle can, and im not going to purchase a gallon of dip for 4 wheels.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
perhaps I will do the wheels black and spray the spokes white?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
I can't believe that GJ didn't come right out and say pink, we all know that's what he was thinking.

question for those that have used plastidip, can you spray another color over the plastidip?  That way you get the benefits of the plastidip and the ability to go with a nonstocked color that may be available as just normal paint.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
btw who is buying the pink for SMMM9?

I was actually contemplating buying a kit for SMMM9 and doing wheels or whatever people wanted done. Just a thought...

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
miller11386  My Brother just Painted a Giant Frog for his Yard . He sprayed it in Flat Matt Black and then with Florisant Yellow and it came out a deep Green but good looking color . I couldn't beleive it was painted 2 different Colors and Turned out like that .

You might want to try it on something and see what it looks likes.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
Ill be stopping in my local home depot soon to see what is available on the shelf there as well. Thx for the tips 1lilndn

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
I can't believe that GJ didn't come right out and say pink, we all know that's what he was thinking.

question for those that have used plastidip, can you spray another color over the plastidip?  That way you get the benefits of the plastidip and the ability to go with a nonstocked color that may be available as just normal paint.

They sell a kit where you get it in a can, but not loaded to be sprayed as an aerosol.  And I think it comes as white or clear, and you get a number of dyes to mix your own colour.  I've seen it on amazon for a good price actually. 

Offline bondosgto

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
gun metal grey

Offline tallcraig

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
Do those rims come with or need centerings rings to mount on the hub correctly? 
P.S. leave them as-is with maybe an minor accent colour.
"Little Miss Sunshine" or "Yellow Bastard"

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 02:39:12 AM »
plasti dip won't help with my opinion.
i think gun metal would look great on your silver Sky
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »
Silver is a neutral color so it looks decent with any color.  The first question you have decide is do you want the wheels to contrast or be complimentary to the color.  A contrasting color will bring emphasize to the wheel whereas a complimentary colors will bring emphasis to overall design (car).  Or you could go all out and hydrodip them; carbon fiber, skulls, plaid, leopard, nakkid women  :devil: smiley faces  :rofl:.  Pretty much anything that's available in a hydrodip pattern.  Basically customizing/personalizing is a reflection of the part of your personality you're comfortable revealing.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1132&bih=727&q=hydrodip+patterns&gbv=2&oq=hydrodip+patterns&aq=f&aqi=g-sS1&aql=&gs_l=img.3..0i10i24.1538.6692.0.7044.17.17.0.0.0.0.82.1002.17.17.0...0.0.MjtFt89wvbQ&safe=active

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »
do all 4 a different color, that way you don't have to make up your mind.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
I wont be doing hydro-dip because I can get them powder coated for free at work.

I have access at work to powder coating in limited colors. We make a "flint mica" which is similar to a gunmetal. I had not considered that color. Could work nicely, but I would imagine it being sort of bland? Gray with gray?

My options to powder coat (at work) are: "columbia orange" "fint mica" "snow white" or "pitch black"

The make a few reds and yellows, but I would not consider those on my car. It would just be horrendous. perhaps I will start out with black and work my way from there. Spray a little white, and if i hate it, peel it off. I want a good color in mind before I commit to powder coating them just because I dont want to strip/blast the wheels more than once.

The problem is I think I want white and we only paint white in our factory maybe 2 times a year. If I miss the run, I have to wait until next year.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
I have access at work to powder coating in limited colors. We make a "flint mica" which is similar to a gunmetal. I had not considered that color. Could work nicely, but I would imagine it being sort of bland? Gray with gray?

IMHO, silver, which is kind of shiny colour, would look great with a darker grey (i mean the gun metal).
it would look agressive without standing out too much.
of course, final choice is yours miller!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
IMHO, silver, which is kind of shiny colour, would look great with a darker grey (i mean the gun metal).
it would look agressive without standing out too much.
of course, final choice is yours miller!

Agreed. The darker grey with the silver car would look really good. And it would be different.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
I look at it this way.  First something starts out as a fad, and then if it hangs or catches on turns into a trend, once it's withstands the test of time it turns into classic.   Orange (depending on shade) works nicely with silver, however depending on what it's used on can cause a love/hate reaction.  For instance, it looks nice on sports paraphernalia, cars on the other hand is dependent on the shade of the color used.  Two-tone orange and silver vehicle might look right on certain cars (thinking classic candy/pearl, two-tone,55 Chevy), whereas a car's that's primarily orange with subtly silver graphics/strips might stand the test of time better (or vice-a-versa).  Reason I use the term subtly is because graphics fads/trends have a tendency to change quickly.  What was in one year (graphic-wise) can be viewed as totally out or make an object looked dated the next.

I’ve enjoyed design/colors all my life and every now and then something comes along where I have to revaluate my prejudices.  That’s what’s so cool about design; someone comes along to prove me wrong ;).  YMMV.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
Miller doesn't want to be Different. Also the color does not make it go any Faster,and then the added paint makes it heavier and will cause Drag in the wrong way.
Mods

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
Miller doesn't want to be Different. Also the color does not make it go any Faster,and then the added paint makes it heavier and will cause Drag in the wrong way.

Yes I love to keep my stuff 100% stock. Modding is just silly