Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: G2 caliper paint in Canada?  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
G2 caliper paint in Canada?
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
Anyone in Canada buy the g2 caliper paint here in Canada? I have the Duplicolor paint now and now that I have the wheels off the car I want to do it right.

If I can only find the G2 in Canada...
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tallcraig

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: G2 caliper paint in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
Automotive Warehouse near G.M. carries an epoxy caliper paint but not G2. I have a new can of black G2 you can have Bob but I think your calipers are red???
"Little Miss Sunshine" or "Yellow Bastard"

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
Thanks Craig. From what I can tell from hammering Google you can't get the G2 here. I'll order from the US or go to the Automotice warehouse and go that route.

The Duplicolor didn't stay on and I thought about powder coating but if I can  save the hassle of taking the calpers off, stripping them and reinstalling them that'd be great.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:17:50 AM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tallcraig

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
Stripping the Duplicolor is going to be a P.I.T.A.  I also have the G2 spray applicator kit if that will help? It's your if want it................. Just because your pretty!!!   LOL
P.S. I wish a powder coat caliper swap was offered by someone.
"Little Miss Sunshine" or "Yellow Bastard"

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Let me know how stripping the Duplicolor goes and what you use to get it off.  Much of my paint has come off the calipers also.  Someone suggested I paint right over it, but I'd rather not have the next paint job chip so bad.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
The G2 instructions say that you don't hav e to remove all the old finish, just the loose stuff and rough up the rest. If it gives me a tough time I will get the die grinder out with my compressor and go to town. The Duplicolor won,t stand a chance.   :tool:

Craig, do I need that?

If someone locally were to buy an extra set of calipers, they could get them powder coated and swap them out on his car. Then he could give the old ones to me and I could get them powder coated and put them on my car. After all was said and done I could give you, er I mean him the old calipers back and he could save them for a spare set in the future.  :poke:

:lol:

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have a lot of loose Dupilcolor and the decals will need to come off.  Figure I'll clean it up as best I can when I decide to do it.

Let me know how it turns out.  I'm in now hurry to paint them, plus I'll probably need some help anyway.  They've looked like  :donkey: for this long, might as well let them go for awhile! 

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
I have the wheels off now to do the powder coating so I figure it's a good time to this and a few other small things that I wanted to do. My calipers didn't look bad but that's only because I am constantly touching them up. I have to seal the top and condition the weather stripping as well.

Here's what they say about painting calipers that have been painted previously.

>> Can I paint over a previous application???

Yes. The prep work for applying the G2™ High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System Set is basically the same for all applications, however if your calipers have already been painted once before you will need to hit the area to be painted with some fine to medium grit sandpaper or scotch brite in order to rough up the area and give it some extra tooth. Remember. Your aim here is not to remove the previous coating, it's just to rough it up a bit to be sure the new coating will properly adhere.

Once this is done you can apply the paint as normal by following the steps below.

Scrub the calipers or drum with a Scotch-Brite pad or scrub sponge and a bucket of water to clean as much brake dust, rust and dirt off as possible. Detergent isn't necessary as you're really just trying to remove the loose particles at this point. Allow the surface to air dry then apply the brake cleaner to break up the tougher brake dust and rust. Alternate spraying the caliper or drum and then brushing it with a wire brush. If necessary go back to the bucket of water and scrub pad to get whatever remaining brake dust you can. Allow the surface to air dry again then spray it one more time with the brake cleaner.

The surface should be ready for paint application at this point.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:58:00 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
Found out why the instructions don't say to strip the old paint. With brake cleaner of any sort the Duplicolor doesn't stand a chance. Brake cleaner acts as a stripper. And with a little elbow grease it comes right off.

Too bad I didn't figure this out earlier. I was going around the car with a die grind hooked to my compressor to grind off all the the paint with a wire wheel and a burr. Caught the rubber boot of one of the rear calipers and tore a small hole in it. Can't do anything about it now, when the caliper seizes i'll have to change it I guess.

I've got the caliper and the bracket off and I'm completely coating both of them. Have to get some more brake cleaner tomorrow to finish up and then I can paint. I hope this G2 is as good as everyone says it is...

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
Found out why the instructions don't say to strip the old paint. With brake cleaner of any sort the Duplicolor doesn't stand a chance. Brake cleaner acts as a stripper. And with a little elbow grease it comes right off.

Too bad I didn't figure this out earlier. I was going around the car with a die grind hooked to my compressor to grind off all the the paint with a wire wheel and a burr. Caught the rubber boot of one of the rear calipers and tore a small hole in it. Can't do anything about it now, when the caliper seizes i'll have to change it I guess.

I've got the caliper and the bracket off and I'm completely coating both of them. Have to get some more brake cleaner tomorrow to finish up and then I can paint. I hope this G2 is as good as everyone says it is...

OK, I was going to clean up with brake cleaner anyway, so glad to know the Duplicolor won't hold up to it.  I could probably just spray the brake cleaner on them anytime and strip them.

I'm lazy.  My calipers aren't coming off!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Just be careful you don't get any brake cleaner on the car's paint but you already knew that.    ;)

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »

Go to a brake rebuild shop.  I bet they'll sell you one of the boots.  You might have to buy a "rebuild kit" with a few gaskets, and seals and what not.  If you go to a Napa (just noticed you're in Canada, so no Autozone), Napa for sure sells rebuild kits, and they are all over Ontario.  You'll definitely have to buy a rebuild kit with all the other pieces.  But it's not the end of the world either way.  I think rebuild kits are like $30-50 typically.  Or at least the last time I bought a set.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:52:58 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:39:33 PM »
Just be careful you don't get any brake cleaner on the car's paint but you already knew that.    ;)

Yes sir I did!

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
Be sure to follow all the warnings on the brake cleaner, especially doing it in a well ventilated area.  Even if you are outside I would recommend a box fan on high plus a good air mask.  Otherwise you may repeat the sixties!  :-)
Tim.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
Otherwise you may repeat the sixties!  :-)
But you're saying that like it's a bad thing
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Thanks WanderingSol for the heads up.

Once I verify that this stuff won't flake off like the Duplicolor did, I'll get caliper stickers.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
Go to a brake rebuild shop.  I bet they'll sell you one of the boots.  You might have to buy a "rebuild kit" with a few gaskets, and seals and what not.  If you go to a Napa (just noticed you're in Canada, so no Autozone), Napa for sure sells rebuild kits, and they are all over Ontario.  You'll definitely have to buy a rebuild kit with all the other pieces.  But it's not the end of the world either way.  I think rebuild kits are like $30-50 typically.  Or at least the last time I bought a set.

Yeah I see the kits aren't a bad price but I'll likely have to disassemble the caliper to fix it I would think.

As the small tear is just that, a small tear I put a little glue along the edge and sealed it with black automotive silicone. I don't drive the car in a lot of crap anyway so it should be good for a while. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

Yeah, no doubt!  Brake cleaner is good stuff!! ;)

My old boss just sent me a text saying he really is on morphine now for his back pain.  Maybe I'll send him one back and recommend sniffing some brake cleaner!  Anyway...can't wait for the texts that I'll be getting from him this week!  These should be hilarious!  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:33:00 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
Fixed the tear if only temporarily. I used a Loctite adhesive on the edges of the tear to glue the two sides together and smeared a little black automotive silicone over the area. Should get a few years out of it anyway.

The calipers are painted and now I just have to wait for the G2 paint to set. Mixed half of it and it was just the right amount to paint all the calipers and the brackets that they mount on. Pulled everything apart and took off the rotors so everything was easier to get at. Painted one coat and went around to touch up a few spots for the second coat. Had extra brushes but didn't need them.

Thanks TS for the I nformation ou sent over, it was really helpful.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:17:06 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
The calipers looked great last night with a trouble light when I was finishing them up but not so great this morning. I mixed the rest of the paint for touchups. I scratched it in a few places as well putting everything together and I didn't like the results. I had to touch them up too.

We'll see how this holds up but I think I see powder coated calipers in my future. 

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised when you said you did it in one coat + touchups.  I took ~4 coats to do mine IIRC.  That stuff re-flows so well that getting it to cover the mold marks and edges is a b*tch.

I also scratched mine putting the spring clips back on the rears.  I had to retouch there and position those clips VERY carefully  :mad:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
We'll see how this holds up but I think I see powder coated calipers in my future. 

I'm curious to know if you find some to powder coat them. I asked 2 or 3 shops 4-5 years ago and they wouldn't do it.  Too many brake issues with it and they didn't want the liabilty.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
I'll ask when I pick up my wheels in a few days.

The G2 paint instructions say to not drive the car for 24 hours. I tried to reinstall the parts the morning after I coated them so the paint might not have been completely set. They look pretty now but we'll see what they look like after I put a few miles on the car.

Dusted it off today and polished the back half of the Solo exhaust. I can't wait to get those wheels back so I can get this thing back on the road. It's in the 80s here today and I can't drive it.     :censor:

Gotta drive to eShine.ca in Port in the morning to pick up some more detailing supplies. Pads, detailing spray, sealant for the top and some more wax or sealant are on the list.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 10:17:39 AM »
It's just been two years but the calipers with the G2 still look as good as the day I did them. 

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
I'm curious to know if you find some to powder coat them. I asked 2 or 3 shops 4-5 years ago and they wouldn't do it.  Too many brake issues with it and they didn't want the liabilty.
  Try APT ( Advance Paint Technology Ltd) 216 676 8770  They are located on W.160 St they do all my stuff and they focus on cars and bikes  plus they do the prep work sandblasting and glass beading in house and have over 50 colors to choose from . A lot of coaters mainly do industrial stuff and the car and bike items are a sideline I have been powder coating parts since the early 80's and these guys do a first class job with quick turn around time and great prices. I have had great success with VHT Caliper Paint I have used this for a number of years and it holds up really well did the Solstice 4 years ago and other then an occasional chip they still look great.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:05:42 PM by Sting Ya »