Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice GXP 1st place in High Speed Autocross  (Read 12731 times)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Solstice GXP 1st place in High Speed Autocross
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Who said anything about 4 tires?
You replace the two tires that will be on the side of the car that will be on outside of the turn right GJ?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
SA,

your getting the idea.  Just the front though, because clearly if you replace the front and rear there will be zero change in the car at all.  So change the outside front tire and your problems will be solved.  No need to mess with the suspension stuff.  That's far too complicated,
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »
So if you replaced tires on opposite corners of the car you would get oversteer when you turn one direction and understeer in the other?

What if you you just used tires that were different diameters?  Then the car would naturally want to turn one direction on its own.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 01:30:51 AM »
Carbon,

I assume you've figured it out by now.  The tires are what matter.  The suspension is a mute point.

Personally, I think hard plastic tires on the rear will take care of any understeer....

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 03:58:54 AM »
Guess my troll-dar must be down.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Guess my troll-dar must be down.

1. Read GJ post with grain of salt
2. Re-Read GJ post and add salt
3. Read again just to verify there is zero chance of it being serious
4. Respond accordingly

:lol:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
1. Read GJ post with grain of salt
2. Re-Read GJ post and add salt
3. Read again just to verify there is zero chance of it being serious
4. Respond accordingly

:lol:

Seriously, I'm joking. 

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
Seriously, I'm joking.

Am I supposed to take that with a grain of salt?

Damn you GJ, my doctor is telling me to watch my sodium intake, I hope you'll be happy when I end up on blood pressure meds.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
Thank you for all the congratulations! I am using the zok front and back . My roll bar adds stiffness to the chassis. A6 hoosiers @30 lbs cold.  Understeer can also be corrected by 1. not going into corner to fast   2. braking just enough to transfer weight to the front tires until your at or near the apex of the turn then accelerating as early as possible toward your exit point on the track. [ if your in 2nd gear you must accelerate smoothly or your tail will kick out.]  Currently back to the stock turbo but I have tightened the adjustment nuts on the wastegate about a half inch tighter than the stock setting. Caution if you try this trick, count the threads on the wastegate adjustment bar so if it doesn't work you can go back to the factory setting
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
I want to upgrade the swaybars on my GXP to the GXP-ZOK but haven't decided if I need to upgrade just the rears or if I should do front and back. Don't autocross, just drive on the street but I want the car to turn when I point it there.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
I like just the rear but that's my opinion.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
I like just the rear but that's my opinion.

:agree:

I swear now that my car is almost 4 years old, the dampening is just totally lacking.  Can't wait to slap your GMPP stuff on end of month.  With the ZOK rear bar only, I bet it'll be great.

I personally like the ZOK rear bar FE3 front bar setup.  It's far more neutral than the ZOK front and rear bar setup.  You can definitely steer with throttle and weight transfer more easily.

But yes, in slippery conditions, at high speeds, it can be a little more hairy.  Honestly, though, any alignment that I would want anyways will take a little more attention to drive than the stock alignment.

I drive my fiance's Mazda 3 from time to time, and it's got a really good chassis.  And honestly, what it gives up in steering response and ultimate grip to my Sky, it makes up for in easy to drive.  It's not as prone to oversteer, and doesn't have enough power nor RWD to break the back end loose easily.

So yah, if you don't mind having to be a little more on your game in slippery conditions at high speeds for a far more neutral balance, go ZOK rear only.  If you want more roll resistance, but more a tendency towards understeer somewhere between more neutral and stock, go ZOK front and rear.

What's the savings you'd get by getting both bars at the same time?  If it's not a big difference, I'd say get the rear bar only first.  That's what I did, shipped to Toronto.  CED was great about it, good price, fair shipping, etc.  Interesting packing job :tool: due to the awkward shape I guess.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:40:52 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
Oooh...nice use of the  :tool: !