Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Critterman's blown motor  (Read 14195 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Critterman's blown motor
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
At DDM Works with Critterman and JimmyBaja.  Here are some photos of Critter's car and motor.  Piston 2 had cracked and forced a chunk of piston back into the had and was struck on an intake valve for piston 1. 

The last photo is Critter doing what he does best, supervising the motor install in JimmyBaja's coupe

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Re: Critterman's blown motor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
you kids play nice! Glad to see the motor swap is under way.

Also still awaiting the supervisors update on the gray sky ;)

Goodluck on the musical motors!
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Wow. At least it's good to see Jimmy is finally getting his own motor back. And just in time to put the "spare" into Critter's.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:09 AM »
Jimmy Baja has some GUNS!

Watch out ladies.... those things are registered deadly weapons!

POW!
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
Can you see if they still have my stock clutch and more importantly flywheel and ask Dave to respond to my email?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
John lost his engine a while ago eh? Is he gonna build up another with beefed up internals?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
Sorry, I'm on the way back home and didn't check the thread until now.  We finished both cars around 1am.  Critter's core engine will be getting built with better components like Jimmy's

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
dumb question, but did the critterman get a report? I am hoping that the gray machine is next on the chopping block

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
 Is the Critterman staying in S/C to get his ride back on the road? Somebody has to keep the ball rolling.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
You guys and your supercharged 2.4's!  :)  At least your in good hands.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Critter, can you share more about the plans on your motor? Keeping the SC? or going to a turbo? Also are you dropping the compression on the motor? Are you going for big power or just looking for a rock solid rebuild?

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
Damn, now is the time when JimmyBaja's devil laugh from SMMM8 is appropriate.

I hope he is gonna keep his promise about a new ET after the engine is upgraded.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
Damn, now is the time when JimmyBaja's devil laugh from SMMM8 is appropriate.

I hope he is gonna keep his promise about a new ET after the engine is upgraded.

Have to wait until I get the new Trifecta tune on & tweaked & the motor broken in.
Then  :devil:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
Miller,  Your car is still in the same pecking order it was before you brought the car down early.

GJ- this isn't a body building forum, it is all about cars, stay on topic

Rogue - the weekend was already scheduled for the Changeout of Jimmy's engine, we just took extra people down and continued the change out of my engine at the same time.  I didn't take Antone's spot or jump line.  Jimmy, Joe, and I stripped down the engines for Dave and John.  They did the engine installs and then Dave and Jimmy put his car back together, while Joe and I with some help from Dave put mine back together.

lil Indian - hell no I'm not staying.  We did both cars Saturday and we all drove back Sunday

Sly Bob - Reduced the rev limiter in my tune, was at 7,500.  Put everything back on it, it is still a stage III,  plans call for porting and polishing the head, new valves with stronger springs, possibly cams (depends on Dave's experiments.  New pistons and rods.   Basically building it to wistand the abuse

Elff - sorry didn't see this until after I got back

Kelu - we heard that laugh all weekend

GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
Glad to see 2 good friends with working cars, more or less :D
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
We rolled in about 3 on Friday, by 7pm we had both motors down to the block.   Saturday they started pulling Jimmy's motor at 9 am.   We stayed out of John and Dave's way while they pulled and then installed Jimmy's engine.  Dave and Jimmy started putting everything on the block while John Pulled and replaced my engine.  Joe helped them until my car was ready for us.  While Dave and Jimmy finished up his car and put a tune on it, Joe and I started putting mine back together.  We started mine at 12:31 am.  At 1:30 Dave took the car home for a road test and we went back to the hotel.

Sunday we meet Dave at the shop, he made one change and we loaded the car back on the trailer and everyone headed for home.  I got home shortly after 8 pm.  Unloaded the car this morning and put it in the driveway.  Still haven't driven it as I am exhausted from the trip and the young kids keeping me up passed my bedtime Saturday night.

Thanks to Dave for allowing me to piggyback on Jimmy's scheduled appointment.  Thanks to Jimmy for sharing his appointment.  Thanks to John for doing the swaps.  And finally thanks to Joe for all the work he put in getting my car ready and then putting it back together.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
glad to hear my car is still on the back burner.

Anyone want to buy a nice silver saturn sky RL?.. completely stock with 87k? 16k and its yours

Thanks for the update critter... however its just a bit frustrating when the time table just keeps sliding and sliding further back. I understand the car was there early, but the original finish date has passed before the start date has been accomplished! Pretty soon it will be a winter project :lol:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:49:48 PM by miller11386 »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
I thought you took it down there during the winter time, so it should end up being a summer or fall project.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
well at this rate, SA, that will be here and gone soon!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
John I didn't know you did the swap. Glad to hear your On the Road Again .       :thumbs:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
John I didn't know you did the swap. Glad to hear your On the Road Again .       :thumbs:

Me too! Glad to hear my car was easily moved back!  :gaah:

BTW critter... did you read this in school?

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »
FYI crittermans car didn't push yours back. It was done under the same date & time frame as mine with our help & long hrs.. No ones schedule was pushed back, I was on the schedule for the weekend.

Oh & how is it that you think it's ok to cut in front of me after I waited a year & a half... take your own preschool advice.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »
Have to wait until I get the new Trifecta tune on & tweaked & the motor broken in.
Then  :devil:
I don't have a problem with that, I just wanted to remind not to push :D I'm sorry if it sounded a little bit too pushy, wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get you back in the permagrin area.

Having the car running on streets is more important than a god damn piece of paper.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
FYI crittermans car didn't push yours back. It was done under the same date & time frame as mine with our help & long hrs.. No ones schedule was pushed back, I was on the schedule for the weekend.

Oh & how is it that you think it's ok to cut in front of me after I waited a year & a half... take your own preschool advice.

I understand you have been waiting jimmy. And the cutting thing was in jest, so chillax.... when did this become the serious forum?!

I am still waiting to hear from David about my car, but from what im gathering, I will be needing a stock turbo and intercooler soon....

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 08:45:19 AM »
I don't have a problem with that, I just wanted to remind not to push :D I'm sorry if it sounded a little bit too pushy, wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get you back in the permagrin area.

Having the car running on streets is more important than a god damn piece of paper.

Kelu, I didn't take it that way at all budy, no worries. Perma grin on the way as soon as I can kick the Boss's @$$ again at the strip.  ;)