Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 9.5 wheel offset/fitment question  (Read 10747 times)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: 9.5 wheel offset/fitment question
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »
I personally do not like anything that is not hub centric. 

Offline AK

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 01:33:35 AM »
is this really true? we can fit 5x112 wheels on our stock 5x110 hubs?
Fully payed off / Koni Struts / Eibach Springs / full Dejon CAI / Kappasphere reBAR / Catless DP to straight-pipe to single outlet muffler

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
I've never been able to find a definition for hub centric, other than thinking the back of the wheel has a depression (or a ring), that keeps it from moving off the hub when bolted down?

BTW, the Gravanna 19s staggered set up I'm guessing was around 55 offset which I think is the same as the Gravanna 18 x 9 back w 275s (18 X 8 front, 245s) I'm running.  Read some folks are running 295s, but not sure of wheel or backspace.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »
is this really true? we can fit 5x112 wheels on our stock 5x110 hubs?

Supposedly, with wobble lug nuts, it is a possibility.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »
I've never been able to find a definition for hub centric, other than thinking the back of the wheel has a depression (or a ring), that keeps it from moving off the hub when bolted down?

This explains it pretty well.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels.htm
Aggressive #000741

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
So another way of saying it is; wheels/tires perform at their optimum if the axle center point and the wheel center point are in complete alignment.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
So another way of saying it is; wheels/tires perform at their optimum if the axle center point and the wheel center point are in complete alignment.

That is true, but the same could be said of lug-centric. 

Hub centric refers the the wheel's center opening fitting precisely over a circular raised lip on the hub. If the center hole in the wheel is larger than the raised lip, and the fit is sloppy, then the fitment becomes lug-centric, with the centering being accomplished via the conical section of the lugs nets operating with the conical depressions on the wheels lug nut holes to provide the centering.

Having just changed by winter wheels for the summer wheels I can tell you that you can feel when the wheel centers on the hub and seats that extra 1/8 inch or so needed to be flush with the brake hat. If you then look at the studs coming through the holes in the wheels you can see that everything is centered without the lugs being on the studs and tightened.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:56:20 AM by DaveOC »
Aggressive #000741

Offline CoolTech

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »
ALL OEM rims for the last couple of decades have been hubcentric.  The primary reason for this is that the hub can absorb shear forces much better than placing the load on the lugs.  If you don't find hubcentric rims, you should at least look at rings that will make them this way.