Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2014 NASSM Discussion Thread  (Read 42961 times)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: 2014 NASSM Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
I won't help in anyway if the discussions are on FB.
The discussions need to be on one of the forums
And the sad part is, I have access to some really great information for pulling one off in the Poconos.
Full Rallys and all.

Offline dengel

• Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
I won't help in anyway if the discussions are on FB.
The discussions need to be on one of the forums
And the sad part is, I have access to some really great information for pulling one off in the Poconos.
Full Rallys and all.

elff, sorry you feel that way.  Unfortunately many kappa owners have migrated to FB and don't participate in the forums nearly as often as they log on to FB.  Trying to reverse that trend is probably a futile effort at this point.

solli is really pushing for 2014 to be in the Northeast, either in PA or NY, and I think you would be a great asset to the planning team.  If PA is the final location selected, regardless of whether the decision is made on FB, the forums or some combination thereof, I hope you may be willing to help out once it comes down to the actual planning.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
That is really a shame because there are some great roads in the Poconos.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »
Sorry but I will have nothing to do with FB because it is completely insecure and designed to mine your user data to send to advertisers.
They don't even hide that. It's right in the Data and Privacy notifications. 

It really blows me away that people just don't care about this stuff, but it also explains why Identity fraud is at an all time high.

I will help out if all the planning is done 100% off Facebook but no joy if it's done on Facespace+

We have 3 solid kappa forums, especially this one in which everything can be done.  I won't assimilate just because everyone else is doing it. 

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
you could be a behind the scenes planner.  Create another user account only for this purpose and send the information to the organizers.  That way you would never touch faceplant and it could never reach out and snare your cookies.  Marshmellows and treehouse would remain safe and hidden from the outside world.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
I won't even create a fake account and let them try to tie together ip addresses and it's not worth the effort to use a web proxy for it.

We have forums, this is what they are for.

Offline dengel

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
From my observations of the planning of previous NASSMs, I predict the following basic course of events will transpire:

1 - There will be much discussion and debate on the forums and facebook regarding where the best location is with a lot of information, both helpful and not, being thrown about.

2 - As a result of the many discussions, a location and the main players working on the event will coalesce out of the chaos.

3 - The main players will then take the planning offline and resort to traditional communication methods such as email, phone calls/conferences and the occasional face-to-face meeting to plan the majority of the event details.

4 - The forums and facebook will be used to disseminate information to the masses as the planning progresses, to foster enthusiam for attending the event and to solicit volunteers as needed.

5 - Hopefully the dissemination of information will at some point migrate from the various different forums and facebook to a separate NASSM event webpage that will be set up by some internet-savy member of the planning team to manage and track the event and its attendees.

There is a lot of work that needs to happen to plan an event like this and most of it comes down to plain old-fashioned legwork not related to facebook or the forums.  Hopefully if and when the event reaches that stage, those not on facebook will still be willing to help out with those tasks that they can.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »
Diane is spot on.

I happen to know how 2012 was planned since 2 people that worked very hard on that event behind the scenes are 2 of my best friends.  Even I had a small part in it.  It was not planned on FB.  It was planned via weekly conference calls between those involved.  Sometimes daily calls and chats/emails via Google.  And face to face meetings.  There was also a Google group for the organizers to share documents and information among them.  The registration/website was not part of FB.  The person who designed the website and hosted the website database lives about 15 minutes from me and I will be seeing them on Friday night.  Of course that's handy because they own a website design/hosting business. :)

FB was used as a communication tool and feedback resource for the organizers.  And yes, you had to join the group, but anyone can ask to add anybody.  I had a FB page for 2010 and I made it public so anyone could join the group.  However, there weren't as many owners on FB at that time as there are now.  2012's page had over 300 members, which made it a good communication tool when the organizers needed to get information to attendees quickly.

Offline 26rings

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Antonio -- If it is in the Northeast KRONUS will help (I assume that counts you in), but we don't have the horsepower to do the "heavy lifting."  I hope MASSC can put it together.  Cooperstown, Lake George, Poconos and other great locations have been mentioned.

It is a TON of work.

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
...I have access to some really great information for pulling one off in the Poconos.

Elff, I'd like to get a copy of those runs if possible. My parents have a weekend house in the Poconos, I don't know the area very well  so it would be awesome to have some roads to run if I go up there.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
San Diego !!! :thumbs:

GJ - when is your NASSM?? I can stay at my Grandma's condo on Mission Bay for a couple days. :drive:

Flagstaff, I would make it there too but do I have to FB? Are there going to be FB badges? Who this big brother watching me? I thought all the venders want my money? or have already parted me from my money... I have a FB account. I think I was on it...? Its been awhile. Should I be concerned?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
I have access to some really great information for pulling one off in the Poconos.

:coffee: :rofl: I dont want to know about it...
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
Hello, well if youre thinking about the New York area, how about at Watkins Glen it self. would be cool to go around that race track. Maybe in conjuction with an ongoing schueduled event. the six hour race Nascar, etc
www.theglen.com

OR
at Mid Ohio race track with another event say Indy Car.
or a driving school there. They have hotels and stuff around camping who knows.
http://www.midohio.com/   http://www.midohio.com/Schedule/Vintage-Grand-Prix-of-Mid-Ohio

OR

at the Indy track, maybe not on the 500, but another weekend they have the best museam (sp)an other events too.
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:09:21 PM by normsf »

Offline diamoney

• Master Tech
  • I coulda had a V8! But I'm not a fan of tomatoes.
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »
I am in complete agreement with elff, and my daughter makes her living from fb! :agree:

Another problem I have is referenced in dengel's item 5.  (I remember someone previously suggesting this and I still hold it viable.)  Why can we not create a website for the NASSM that is used for current, upcoming AND future events?  Why must we (each year's organizers) reinvent the wheel as it were instead of adapting an existing webpage?  There could be archived meets, planning/discussion pages, etc.- basically a forum dedicated to the Maine Event and handed off each year to the next planning committee?  Administrator controls could be allowed for each Meet's organizers, including private threads for the behind the scenes details to supplement phone calls, etc.

That being said, I am not in the website design field, but it seems that it SHOULD be possible.
#000600 S/C
158000+ miles

'07 GXP T/C+
0-100 in what?

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »
Diamoney

That's actually a great idea and as an installer and admin of numerous forums, extremely easy to do.  Same goes for a Wordpress template website

The additional benefit is once someone signs up, they no longer Need to recreate a userid each year.  The only issue would be the hosting costs, but that could easily be done by donations.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
It sure is possible and frankly I'm surprised it isn't already established.  Perhaps someone with some web savvy could create the site (Kelu) and as payment for the work a free all expense paid trip to NASSM 2014?  Dark Knight Vampire Man, are you listening? 

Elff,
I love you man! (Said in classic Chong voice)
GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
I made the following website using Wordpress
http://www.dazednconfuzed.net

The website main page is a blog which you can setup an RSS feed on and is perfect for putting up to date information that appears in a chronological order. 
The menu system is easy and the right column is a bunch of different widgets

Our forum is private but uses SMF 2.0 just like KP. As such the features are identical.

It takes some time, but it's not rocket science and like Diamoney stated, this would allow for consistency and not having to reinvent the wheel each time

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 02:13:16 AM »
Elff,
If you create the site that takes users away from FB, you would be cock blocking Zuckerberg!  How great is that!
Make the right choices now

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 06:03:14 AM »
Another problem I have is referenced in dengel's item 5.  (I remember someone previously suggesting this and I still hold it viable.)  Why can we not create a website for the NASSM that is used for current, upcoming AND future events?  Why must we (each year's organizers) reinvent the wheel as it were instead of adapting an existing webpage?  There could be archived meets, planning/discussion pages, etc.- basically a forum dedicated to the Maine Event and handed off each year to the next planning committee?  Administrator controls could be allowed for each Meet's organizers, including private threads for the behind the scenes details to supplement phone calls, etc.

I think that's a great idea too! Somebody get on that!

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
So I posted it on Facebook and there appears to be some feedback. Some positive, some negative. I find it interesting that we're having a Facebook discussion about IT stuff when, realistically, anyone that is truly in IT and could help refuses to have a Facebook account.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
That's because IT who are worth their paycheck know better.

I can help with the Website, but :censor:  FB

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
FYI Kim Neely has no clue

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
Don't feel bad elff, I have an extra account that is one facebook, that account all by itself has joined all these Solstice groups without any help from me.  I only access it via a proxy server and our security is a 24/7 operation.  Can they get back to me, sure they can but there are easier pickings and they will go for them first.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
I don't feel bad.  I choose to not use it.

2011 Toyota Venza Commercial - Social Network

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »
I can host a NASSM site since I already pay for this site and we can have unlimited domains.  The only thing that would be concidered is the name.   It would have to be
kappaperformance.com/nassm/YYYY/Forum and event.   I could give rights to that section to whom ever is doing the prep work for the meet.  I recommended this back when the SF tried to establish a committee and then all the events could be archived and saved. 

I would not run the sub section, that would be up to the people working the event