Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2014 NASSM Discussion Thread  (Read 42964 times)

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
Re: 2014 NASSM Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
FYI Kim Neely has no clue

Don't pick on my Kimmie she's really good people! :slap:

In general people not directly in IT like to make it out to be more work than it is. I have already received offers from people to host this site should it be desired. DBG just made this same offer as I was typing so there are people willing to do it. At this point I'd like to see how it plays out before anyone puts any effort into making it a reality.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
I can host a NASSM site since I already pay for this site and we can have unlimited domains.  The only thing that would be concidered is the name.   It would have to be
kappaperformance.com/nassm/YYYY/Forum and event.   I could give rights to that section to whom ever is doing the prep work for the meet.  I recommended this back when the SF tried to establish a committee and then all the events could be archived and saved. 

I would not run the sub section, that would be up to the people working the event

I don't think we would necessarily need to change the name every year.
Keep it the same and update the content on the page appropriately with current information.
This way, every year people would go to
kappaperformance.com/nassm/Forum
All the time.
The Topics could include the date.  Keep the current year as stickies to keep them at the top.
This allows for search ability across years

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
A redirect could be made to "kappaperformance.com/nassm/Forum" as well from a "nassm.info" or something similar but the domain name would have to be purchased. That can be done for less than $10 though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:56:51 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »
I posted DBG's offer over on the FB thread.  There are several volunteering so maybe something will happen. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »
Looks like GM Roadster already has a plan in place to do something along those lines. Hopefully it'll work :)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
It will work.
Just a matter of people using it.
Security and Privacy issues aside
Facebook is not the tool to use for stuff like this and should not be used as a replacement for forums.
A searchable and indexable database  is huge to being able to self service a problem.

Offline Dr. Gronk

• Master Tech
  • carpe diem incoronatus
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
I'm in the camp of IT professionals concerned about facebook implications as well and also don't use it personally.   What I really find funny is how a system born out of the need to communicate between various centers using open/shared protocols becomes dominated by proprietary systems rampant with issues used by people freely willing to subject themselves to an array of identity, harassment and privacy exploits and on top of it give up any ownership of their content... forever.   

Herd mentality is one of the things that scares me the most in life.
07 GXP - Trifectatated Hahn S20G - carpe diem incoronatus

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
Well said.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
Great Idea DeepBlueGXP, now if the folks debating this on FB do not run and call you to get this going it will be their lost.
Also from a retired IT guyt that also does not use FB.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
I am happy to find that I have good company in my FB non use.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
I think you really are Elff 'cause most car guys don't use Facebook. Car girls, now that's a different story.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
I have a FB account but I rarely use it. 

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
My wife has a Facebook account and when you aren't on Joe, she is.   :rofl:

No Kappa stuff though.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »
Why don't you all ask the person who has already hosted 2 NASSM sites already and who worked with GMR to get the domain name for one of them?

I'll give my opinion on this here also.  I thought it was a great idea a few years ago.  It was discussed.  I'd love to see it.

Unless you promote the hell out of it and post it all the time, make it as active as KP, or the other forums, or FB, you will not get traffic to go to it.  Why?  FB is convenient.  People are there already.  The forums are there already...they are convenient.  You are adding another place for people to remember to go to or direct them to.  Getting people to visit a NASSM site even to register or sign up for something on the site is like pulling teeth.  People just want to show up for the event.  Sure, they'll give their input when it's convenient to do so, but that's about it.

I'm saying, to make this work, a lot of people who know a lot of people will have to convince people to go to this site and participate.  I see a small core group trying to maintain activity on it and then it will be busy as the next NASSM gets closer.  And yes...with all the changes that are made...there is a lot of work involved within the last 2-3 months of NASSM.  I'll ask the person who has maintained 2 sites how much work he put into it.  Cause I know he probably spent about 3-4 hrs a day during the last 2-3 weeks prior to NASSM on the website.  Ask him if he'll do it.  He thought about maintaining it before.  I can get a feeling for his thoughts on it tonight since I'll see him if you'd like.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
Facebook is convenient but people aren't there already as you said. A lot of people aren't on Facebook and have no desire to be.

That said, there probably isn't any one place that this discussion can go forward and involve everybody. A forum would be a more logical choice though in my opinion because more of those that would be interested in coming are here.

Joe's offer to host the site is great! With a domain name a redirect can easily be made. You get a redirect when you type in KappaPerformance.com and it can be even more unobtrusive than that if you choose to make it that way.

There have been offers of people willing to put a site together and I would ask my son who does this for a living and makes a comfortable living from it to help but he doesn't have the time. I don't think he woul say no but he's helped the community a lot and doesn't have a Kappa.

Someone mentioned that the 2014 event is leaning towards the north east. I guess it depends largely who is willing to help ot to pu it together. I'd love to go if it's up this way. NY or PA would be my vote as they have some awesome roads through the mountains.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
Facebook is convenient but people aren't there already as you said. A lot of people aren't on Facebook and have no desire to be.

That said, there probably isn't any one place that this discussion can go forward and involve everybody. A forum would be a more logical choice though in my opinion because more of those that would be interested in coming are here.

Joe's offer to host the site is great! With a domain name a redirect can easily be made. You get a redirect when you type in KappaPerformance.com and it can be even more unobtrusive than that if you choose to make it that way.

There have been offers of people willing to put a site together and I would ask my son who does this for a living and makes a comfortable living from it to help but he doesn't have the time. I don't think he woul say no but he's helped the community a lot and doesn't have a Kappa.

Someone mentioned that the 2014 event is leaning towards the north east. I guess it depends largely who is willing to help ot to pu it together. I'd love to go if it's up this way. NY or PA would be my vote as they have some awesome roads through the mountains.

415 group members to discuss 2014 isn't a lot of people on Facebook?  That's about double the number that attended 2012.

What I'm saying is, if you want to get the word out to the majority of the people, then you need to go where the majority of the activity is.  Is it on KP, the other forums, or FB?  I understand some people refuse to get on FB, that's fine.  But if you want to try to start something that's going to remain active and generate interest, then I'd highly recommend you do it in the place that's most frequented by the majority.  If you start another site, you're going to have to get people to migrate to that site by giving them a good reason to go there. You kids can determine where the best place is if you want one central place.  I'm just offering up information and past observations.

As I stated before, the person who hosted and maintained the 2012 website and also the 2010 website does it for a living.  He owns his own business doing website design/hosting for major corporations.  You say you don't want to reinvent the wheel...that's why I'm suggesting you ask him.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:26:50 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
415 isn't a valid number. 

Lets get this straight, someone who owns that 2014 NASSM FB section didn't get 415 people to become group members.  I was added because I was a friend of a friend of a friend of who ever built that group.

I never joined that group yet, I find I'm a member of it.  I bet the same thing happened to over 300 of the group members.

That is why I and a lot of others don't like FB.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
Bingo what Joe said.  I never joined the 2012 group, or any of the other kappa groups.  In fact I haven't joined any group and yet here I am.......................part of the 415
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
 :roll:  SERIOUSLY?? We are still having this conversation????

Look, no one is forcing anyone to join Facebook.  If you don't want to, fine.  I have used it extensively for several years and neither the Special Forces nor Walmart have invaded my living room.  And the notion it is less private that here is rediculous  This is a public web site.  Everything I post here is accessible to the world with the exception of a few, small closed off sections.  I am careful what I post anywhere.   

I was not added to the group, I joined it.  I do see where members of the group can add FaceBook friends who might be interested.  Let's see....we are trying to get the word out and communicate?  If you don't want to join, remove yourself.

There is no requirement to join Facebook to go to the meet.  I do find it fascinating that not a single one of the folks howling here about Facebook went to Asheville. 

There is no requirement to join Facebook to help in setting up the meet.  IHawk and Dengel already explained that.

Folks are communicating to the other forums what is happening on Facebook for those who don't go there.

I really think this has gotten beyond rediculous. 
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline ChiliSky

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
I dont know all the particulars, however GM Roadster along with the group that is hosting Flagstaff 2013 are building that website to be used for nationals 2014,15 and so on. So that the people hosting each year afterwards will not have to build a whole new website. It is suppose to be free for the use as well. I think it might be good if they came on here and informed the members here how it will work...apparently the pacific regional works off the platform every year as well........

~~Chili~~

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
Treeman

I did not go to Asheville because I went to Romania.  The 2 events were too close for me to swing the Vacation time and cost.
Otherwise I would have been there.

So that is a moot point.

My Issue with FB in regards to it being the center of planning is it is not the correct tool for this type of activity and specifically for forum related stuff due to the lack of search ability.

As far as the privacy goes
A data Crawler can't come to the KP forum and get my real name, or my real address, or try to target me for stuff I did not specifically ask for.
YOU AGREE TO THIS WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR FB ACCOUNT

there are other concerns, but most people don't understand them.   I see this on a daily basis as I work in IT.
MOST PEOPLE ARE F_ING IDIOTS when it comes to their computers and common sense in regards to their computers. 
Why do I need to answer 5-20 questions a week about an email that links a person to a website asking about Financial information
****** This is what I want to Answer to these Morons****************
YEA YA DUMB FAWK, give them all the information, They are 100% legitimate and banks ALWAYS ask for your passwords and security codes on the back of your credit cards.  While you at it, don't forget to give your bank information to the Nigerian who has been asking for that OVER THE PAST DECADE!!!!

I don't want to deal with a Middle Man to discuss or participate in something over FB when it would more effective and beneficial in the long run to be held over a Forum in conjunction with a Website/Blog that updated with current information on a chronological order.

I know there is no requirement to join, but it's a disconnect and I personally won't participate if it's on FB in any way.  People can do that, they can just do it without me and if that means I don't help or go, so be it.   

Offline dengel

• Master Tech
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
I think everyone is getting a little too excited about what is currently going on, and I am not sure why everyone is so hot under the collar about it.

NASSM 2014 is NOT currently being planned on FB. 

Possible locations and activities currently UNDER CONSIDERATION for a 2014 NASSM are being discussed on FB by a bunch of enthusiastic people who just returned home from a fun and successful NASSM in Asheville.  I don't really think that kind of response is all that unexpected.

Absent a formal National organization or an official NASSM website, who the heck knows when or how the location for 2014 will get decided or when formal planning will begin?  I'm sure it will be DISCUSSED on FB, on the various forums and on the 2013 NASSM website once it is up and running.  But once a location is decided on one way or the other, I don't think the actual planning will take place in any of those public venues.  Because whoever is planning it really won't want a couple hundred busy-bodies expressing their personal opinions about every little detail as it gets hashed out.  (I know I sure as hell wouldn't.)

You can't really stop people from discussing a topic in a public place, so let the FB debate continue and run its course.  I am still of the opinion that when the actual planning begins FB and the forums will just be tools to disseminate information while the actual planning happens elsewhere.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
Yeah the location will be discussed here, on the big board and the several other forums that have been put together for our cars. Anywhere two owners get together they will be discussed.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
Exactly SB.  My point is, if you want to get the word out about something to a large group...you need to maximize your exposure.  GMR has a site...several actually, and I rarely go there.  Maybe once in the last couple of years!  And I was an admin!!  I only went to the 2012 site maybe 10 times, and that was to register and then see who was going that I might be able to caravan with or meet up with.  Otherwise, I never went.  I'm on the FB site now like crazy checking out the pics and the chatter.  Because it sure isn't happening here or on the Solstice or Sky forums.  It's on FB.  I don't give a rats ass what you think of FB, but the majority of the discussion is there right now.  It could migrate somewhere else and there will be people that don't like that place too.

I said this on FB, and I will say it here.  I'm extremely disappointed in what's happened to this discussion.  Dave tries to communicate and relay information thinking he's doing good and some of you beat the crap out of him for it!  Ridiculous.  The guy doesn't feel welcome here right now.  It'll probably be awhile before he posts again.

We're supposed to be talking about 2014 ideas and potential locations.  Trying to get people to step up and take it on.  Which isn't easy!  Yet some of you have no intention of helping, you're too worried that there is discussion on FB also.

You mention the forums as the main place for discussion.  Sorry, but it's not there.  17 posts is all the Solstice side has regarding 2014.  And what are half the posts talking about...FB!!!  FYI, the FB discussion just started on Monday, so you're not missing out on anything.  You can argue you got added to the group without your consent on FB.  Fine, remove yourself and don't participate.  But don't come on here :censor: ing about it either.  But what you can't argue is that you weren't offered exposure to the discussion there.  It's another communication tool!  And like Diane said, the planning will happen as it always has...among a small group who meet and have conference calls, etc.  Outside of the forums and FB.

People have volunteered to cross post from there to the forums.  But if I were them, I'd say screw that on this forum because you guys are only interested in running down FB and the people that use it!

We have a limited production car.  Don't you think we're better served to pull our resources together rather than tear them apart?

And yeah...I'm pissed and disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:19:15 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
No one beat the crap out of Dave for anything.
Our opinions were asked and they were given.  I don't see anyone beating the crap out of Dave.   

and some people who actually know technology were trying to come up with a solution that would better the situation in the long run and have provided the reasons as to why.

If you can't handle someones response, don't ask for it.