Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Keep or replace plugged tire?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Keep or replace plugged tire?
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Was out spray detailing the car Sunday morning when to my surprise found the right rear tire flat.  (Was so glad it hadn't gone flat on the highway from our out of town bar hopping Saturday night.).  Anyway, Sunday was the fourth and my tire shop was closed.  Managed to find a garage and they refused to plug it due to the half-thumb from the end of the tire rule  (appeared to be a screw or nail right in the tread).  Took it to my tire regular shop the following day and mentioned that another garage mechanic refused to plug it.  They just said they have a tech take a look at it.  Next thing I know he's bringing it back with a plug installed and put it back into the truck of my car and never said a word (cost $10 bucks).  Called my wife and she asked me it if I was told the repair was warranted?  Told her the issue never came up.  However, she'd already asked our insurance if flat tires were covered under the comprehensive portion of our policy and they said no.  Which means that since it's been reported to the insurance coverage that it could come back to bite us in the ass if the tire was to blow and cause us to file a claim. 

So basically trying to decide is it worth it to tempt fate or just bite the bullet and replace (hate to since it only has around 5K on it) the Goodyear Eagles?   

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Keep or replace plugged tire?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
I personally would replace it.   I would not want to take a chance with a known bad tire during spirited driving.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
for daily driving....plugged tire will be fine.

but not on spirited/race events.  I will not chance it....
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
You are clearly concerned about the consequences of keeping it on the car so if it were me, for peace of mind I would replace it.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »
If it worries you now, it will continue to do so until you replace it.  Tires are cheap in comparison to what could happen.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline CaliforniaDreamin

• Tech
  • "There can Be Only One"
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
ChopTop, I have been running a plugged Goodyear for almost 2 1/2 years with no ill effect. I can't say I am a "spirited" driver,BUT it has given me about 24,000 miles since the repair.Just my  :2c:
CaliforniaDreamin' (Big Wave Dave) 07 Redline
JPM CONSOLE AND ARMRESTS,GMPP C.A.I.,SHORTY ANTENNA,
CUSTOM LIGHTED WINDRESTRICTOR,
CUSTOM LIGHTED DOORSILLS,
'09 SPLIT SPOKE OEM WHEELS,CUSTOM CENTERS,POLISHED TURBO COVER,LOWERING SPRINGS,
PAINTED ENGINE COVER, BILLET ENGINE BLING
MGP CALIPER COVERS,OEM SPLASH GUARDS.
(some items awaiting install!)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
Depends on how they repaired the tire.  If it was removed from the wheel and repaired from the inside then no worries drive it.  If it was just a plug installed from the outside it's anybodys guess.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
I have never had an issue with properly plugged tires.  If it bothers you, get it replaced and sell the plugged one on Craigslist relatively cheap.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
Now we know who is driving up out insurance rates!

Flip the tire so it's on the inside and it'll be fine.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
I plugged two tires myself and used them for 5 auto cross events plus drag racing and used the the tires until the wear indicators wetter flush with the tread. Never had any issues and i'm mostly a spirited driver.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
Thanks for feedback folks, as usual couldn't come at a worse time was just about ready to pull the trigger on a Solo exhaust.  Not really into spirited driving (cause I'm hoping to keep this car for a long time) but still get a kick out of going around corners quickly.   It's the garage and the half thumb thing that has me concerned along with the wife notifying insurance company.  Figured if nothing else if I end up buying a new tire new tire I'd keep this one as a spare.  Heck I don't even know if the tire still available.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:43:11 PM by ChopTop »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
Did she notify the insurance company or just call a general number with a question?  If you didn't file a claim than what's the issue?
Make the right choices now

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
I'm still running the boner tire with the patch and plug. The car has been to Illinois and Asheville. Took it on 2 spirited runs in Asheville and it's almost down to the wear mark now. No issues!

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
It also depends on the patch.  I keep one of those patch kits where you pull an impregnated gauze/rope through the hole in my car.  This is a FAR better patch then any one of those temporary goop/gunk/slime ones that are injected through the valve stem, which are only temporary.  The impregnated rope ones are actually very good, and unless you plan on being aggressive on them, on sustained high speeds, will be a permanent patch.  I would use that if I were ever stranded on the side of the road.

However, if I have the opportunity, I would get the patches that must be installed with the tire dismounted, that has a backing patch, that has a stem that goes through the hole, and is then trimmed.  Those are very high quality patches, and unless you're talking serious conditions, which by then you'd probably be looking at dedicated race rubber anyways, are very much a permanent patch.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:16:32 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Did she notify the insurance company or just call a general number with a question?  If you didn't file a claim than what's the issue?

Not sure, all I know is she told me she called and asked if tires were considered a comprehensive item because we found one of them flat, and was told no.  Agent told her she faced the same dilemma and simply replaced the tire.  Plus all phone calls are recorded for customer quality assurance.  Insurance speak for, we have it filed & recorded you called which means if you attempt to make a major claim at a later date that it could be factored in as a basis for denial or reduction in coverage/services.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Who do you have insurance with, All Snake?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
I've went over 180mph on a plugged tire. You will be fine.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
Who do you have insurance with, All Snake?

:lol:   Yes, as a matter of s-s-sack fact.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
:lol:   Yes, as a matter of s-s-sack fact.
In that case I would recommend you take the money the new tire would cost and pay for insurance with a good company.  There are a lot of reports about just how big a back stabbers All Snake is even to their agents.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I've been with Allstate for years and have always had good experiences with them.  :idk:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
Not sure, all I know is she told me she called and asked if tires were considered a comprehensive item because we found one of them flat, and was told no.  Agent told her she faced the same dilemma and simply replaced the tire.  Plus all phone calls are recorded for customer quality assurance.  Insurance speak for, we have it filed & recorded you called which means if you attempt to make a major claim at a later date that it could be factored in as a basis for denial or reduction in coverage/services.

Yeah,  I guess. If you told them which car and what tire and that you were calling for a friend who had a question and you had no idea it effected you and you didn't know what happened.
Make the right choices now

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »
Never had any real problems w/all state.  For a while I kept locking myself out of my car and calling service.  An agent started giving me $hit after about the third time but once I accepted he did have a point let it go and realized we've never had any major problem with claims.  Plus my wife did work in the insurance field and has a pretty good understanding of how insurance companies work and still thinks they're no better or worse than any other provider.  In that they are happy to take your money and not real happy to give back.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »
A better question posted to google than your insurance company. :)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.