Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: K&N Typhoon Air Intake  (Read 4732 times)

Offline tbone

• Tech
K&N Typhoon Air Intake
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
I'm thinking about installing a K&N intake and figured the first thing I should do is check the forum for comments on it.  I've searched and can't find much.  Anybody have any feedback on the K&N Typhoon intake for a GXP?  I've got the GMPP and Solo Performance cat and Mach exhaust already.  The car still isn't as fast as I want.  I've thought about the Trifecta tune but just never pulled the trigger.  It's an '08 but only 13K miles. 

K&N claims a 10HP increase but everyone says CAIs don't add power.  Seems like it should help the engine breath a little, especially with the Solo cat and exhaust. 
'08 Deep GXP, Manual, Loaded, Solo Performance Mach exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, GMPP Turbo Upgrade.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: K&N Typhoon Air Intake
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
If you look for more power forget the intake and go for a real tune, not GMPP.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Makes it sound better, but anything you do to gain power is learned down by the ECU unless you have a tune which writes that out of the equation
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
I also say get a tune for more power and get the intake for a nice sound
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
If you do not have a tune it will not help you much except from some add it noise.
Get a tune whether the Trifecta or some other tune from one of the vendors here to get additional power.
I am assuming when you said GMPP you were talking the GMPP CAI. If it is the GMPP tune with the 3 bar sensors then your car should be a little quicker than stock.
DDM recommends either the GMPP CAI or the K&N.
If you need more power then again get a tune on top of your GMPP upgrade if that is what you already have.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Kagem

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »
I have it for almost a year, the sound is way different than any other intake, is sucks air like kabamaru sucked the spaghetti, a useful upgrade if you still haven't got an intake. The 10hp increase should be with a tune, mostly a custom one that can take advantage of it....

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
K&N Typhoon Air Intake
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:16:16 AM »
Dump the GMPP tune. Get an aftermarket tune.
Forget the K&N intake. Get a GMPP intake or just keep the stock design. Stock set up is good well beyond a tune. It's just not very pretty.
Make the right choices now

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
Hack the airbox.  Same noises at no extra cost.

Offline Goat67

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
I installed the GMPP stage tune at the same time that the GMPP CAI was installed, so I cannot say if there is an increase. Much more sound yes. The tune should be whatever you are comfortable with. There is more power avilable out there, but the higher you go the more additional concerns ( like octane) come into play.

Offline tbone

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Well, I bought the K&N Typhoon CAI and installed it.  I couldn't feel any difference in power but it made an awful noise whenever I let off the gas.  I went back over and tightened each connection and examined everything to make sure it was installed correctly but could not figure out why it was making the noise.  I have to say, it looked awesome under the hood.  But I couldn't stand the noise.  Finally I called K&N and after some discussion, they concluded that it was "turbo bark".  I have to give them credit for outstanding customer service.  Even though I bought the part on EBay, they accepted my return and sent me a refund check.  So that's my experience. 

The GMPP I mentioned is the 3-bar sensor and tune from GM.  I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a Trifecta tune yet.  I think I'm just afraid of messing up a car that is still almost brand new (only 14,000 miles).
'08 Deep GXP, Manual, Loaded, Solo Performance Mach exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, GMPP Turbo Upgrade.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
sorry, i have to ask. Solo Mach with hf cat is OK for you and you thought the K&N intake noise was too much? :)
good thing K&N refunded you since you didn't like the product.

DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
That noise should be the compressor bypass valve opening and routing pressurized air to the turbo inlet.  Should sound like air escaping under pressure, not an "awful noise"...  With the top or windows down and the radio off you should still be able to hear it a bit with the stock intake- just a little whistle when you let off.  I find it pleasing to hear the turbo working.
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »
"Awful noise" ?

To think that I hacked the airbox to get rid of the noise suppressors so I can have that "awful noise" must be blasphemy.

Offline Ames Performance Tuning

• Vendor
  • Tech
    • Ames Performance Tuning - Trifecta Dealer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
I removed my GMMP intake to get rid of bark and to enjoy the exhaust more.  Now thinking it is time to put back on.  Like the looks better and think I am ready again for some more bark. 
tbone, I am happy to discuss your concerns regarding the tune and how it works in an informative way with no pressure.
09 GXP Coupe Auto - Stock Trifecta EBlend tune
09 GXP Coupe Manual = Trifecta EBlend tune
DDMWorks rebuild with Carrillo rods, Wiseco pistons and ported head and 2860
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec
1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am
Trifecta Dealer
http://www.amesperformancetuning.com/Solstice.html

Offline Ames Performance Tuning

• Vendor
  • Tech
    • Ames Performance Tuning - Trifecta Dealer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
tbone, do you know if your connections for the GMMP tune were soldered when installed?
09 GXP Coupe Auto - Stock Trifecta EBlend tune
09 GXP Coupe Manual = Trifecta EBlend tune
DDMWorks rebuild with Carrillo rods, Wiseco pistons and ported head and 2860
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec
1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am
Trifecta Dealer
http://www.amesperformancetuning.com/Solstice.html

Offline Kagem

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
The sound of the k&n is something you will love or hate, it's like hearing a horse neighing when letting off the gas. You don't love horses so there you go....

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
My Brother say it sounds like a Turkey  gobble ,gobble, gobble
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
Yes for the most part it does sound like a gobble and IIRC even a GM PI Bulletin or TSB actually states something to the same effect.
You can also affect the gobble by adjusting when the pressure cuts in and out via HPT or even spring pressure.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Its turbo gobble.
I miss that.  I have a normal whoosh now
:(

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
sorry, i have to ask. Solo Mach with hf cat is OK for you and you thought the K&N intake noise was too much? :)
good thing K&N refunded you since you didn't like the product.

The Mach and high flow CAT result in a pretty mellow exhaust note. The intake gives you a rather harsh throttled turkey effect that I can see wouldn't be received the same way as the exhaust.  I'd agree with you that the intake probably results in less added dB of noise, it's just that it is different and could be more annoying to some.  I have both and it doesn't really bother me.

There is no power to be had with the intake, just noise. I switched as I just didn't like the cheesey plastic fittings that were prone to breaking at some cost on the stock intake.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC