Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Remote Start For The Sky/Solstice?  (Read 7114 times)

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
Remote Start For The Sky/Solstice?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Chevy Cobalts came with the factory remote starter? I know the Kappas did not but was curious if this was available and could possibly be customized to work with our cars?

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Remote Start For The Sky/Solstice?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
No it's not possible to do this easily (i.e. not without severe pain).

Helios worked through some of this for keyless pushbutton start, but still had issues at the end.  You'd need to go even further for the remote start step.  See: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=4438.20
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Do remote starts work or recommend for manuals?  Otherwise I see fail written all over it.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Do remote starts work or recommend for manuals?  Otherwise I see fail written all over it.

I don't know how other systems work, but on the Viper unit I'm having installed, you must shut off the car through the alarm, in essence, you arm the car while it's running, and then it shuts itself off when you arm the alarm.  That way, the car knows that the car is not in gear in manual transmissioned cars.  If you don't do that shut down procedure, it won't allow you to remote start.

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
I don't know how other systems work, but on the Viper unit I'm having installed, you must shut off the car through the alarm, in essence, you arm the car while it's running, and then it shuts itself off when you arm the alarm.  That way, the car knows that the car is not in gear in manual transmissioned cars.  If you don't do that shut down procedure, it won't allow you to remote start.

That's pretty much the only way that's been commercially produced.  There was a system shopped around that used sensors to determine the position of the shift lever, but I don't believe anyone brought it to market.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
That's pretty much the only way that's been commercially produced.  There was a system shopped around that used sensors to determine the position of the shift lever, but I don't believe anyone brought it to market.

Being reasonably mechanically minded, and with lots of practical experience, I could easily fabricate such a sensor.  So I don't see why this would be such an issue.  Think about it, you have a reverse position sensor to turn on the reverse lights on a manual car right?  You can easily use the reverse setup in that with the reverse sensor, when you go into the reverse position, it connects a circuit, and voila (to the BCM to the lights, yada yada) reverse lights.  Now do the reverse, have a similar sensor measure for shifter at rest (neutral).  When in this position, it completes a circuit, yada yada, the remote start system will know you must be in neutral.  Granted the reverse position sensor is integrated into the transmission typically (usually bolted to the side of the transmission so that it can be replaced), but you could take position from the shift fork area or the shifter area, and not even have to go into the transmission.  Because as long as it can tell the shift fork isn't at max/min of travel, i.e. forward or backward into a gear at the shifter, it can't be in gear.

I've rebuilt transmissions before, and I could easily adapt such a device if I can create the custom tools I needed to do the rebuilds.  So I don't see why it may not also be commercially available.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:46:11 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
Um, ok.  But it has to be easier than that.  With todays computers knowing everything, even in a manual car, the computers must know what gear they are in, or that they are not in any gear.  Find that part in the BCM and play with that.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »
It's because of product liability concerns.  If the sensor fails, a car is going through a wall. 

It would also need to be easily adapted for a wide range of manufacturers/models to be commercially viable.

It's not that it can't be done, it's just less foolproof.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
I've wondered what the attraction of this feature might be.  Do people want to be able to fire the car and warm it up while you finish your coffee in the morning?

I've never had a car with remote start and have never felt the need, so I am asking what the utility of this feature is seen to be by those that want it.  Enlighten me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:35:04 AM by wspohn »
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »
Car all warm and toasty for you with the windows defrosted in the winter
Car all cool and comfy in the summer.
or

"look how cool I am, watch this"

my :2c:
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
OK, I figured it might be something for those living in the frozen sections of the continent (not much need for that sort of thing where I live).

I guess it could also be some 'look how cool I am' but would think that the novelty would be pretty short lived.  Or maybe not?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
I have factory remote start on my DD and use it almost daily in the winter...not as much in the summer now that I can't start it from my office at work.
I haven't had the luxury of a garage for my daily driver the last 4 years.  My car has the automatic temperature control.  When I use the remote start in the winter, the car senses the outside temperature and automatically turns on the defrost for the windshield and rear window.  Which is great when the car is iced over.  Makes scraping windows and even getting the door open much easier.

When I could start it from my office, I did use it on very hot days.  Kinda nice to get into a car that isn't an oven when it's 90-100 degrees out.  I have not used it at all this summer, but there were days when I got in it thinking "Now why didn't I start the car first?"

It times out after 5 minutes.  On my car, you can't repeat a remote start after it has timed out.

I will defintely get it again on my next daily driver!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
i never thought of it as a novelty.  When I had it, I only used it when the situation warranted it.  Say, for example, a pretty girl is walking by.  BOOM, looky here pretty lady, I just started my truck from way over here.  Would you like a coffee with a Quaalude sweetener?  No, its not a drug, it is a new all natural sweetener from the makers of methaqualone.  It is very hip and trendy right now.  Yes, I can make one for your twin sister.  No I didnt know you lived right around the corner.  Well, sure we can walk there, I can just turn off my truck from here!
BOOM.
Make the right choices now

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
OK, I figured it might be something for those living in the frozen sections of the continent (not much need for that sort of thing where I live).

I guess it could also be some 'look how cool I am' but would think that the novelty would be pretty short lived.  Or maybe not?

Yes, wspohn I agree, uh, back in the day Carol and I flew to Seattle, Washington which is a cool place and motor coached on to Sitka, Alaska for the beginning of a 10 day Cruise and tour of Alaska.  I was impressed with Alaska our 50Th state but in the winter which they have a lot, it would indeed be for sure necessary.
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
i never thought of it as a novelty.  When I had it, I only used it when the situation warranted it.  Say, for example, a pretty girl is walking by.  BOOM, looky here pretty lady, I just started my truck from way over here.  Would you like a coffee with a Quaalude sweetener?  No, its not a drug, it is a new all natural sweetener from the makers of methaqualone.  It is very hip and trendy right now.  Yes, I can make one for your twin sister.  No I didnt know you lived right around the corner.  Well, sure we can walk there, I can just turn off my truck from here!
BOOM.

Steven, I like your reason far better then mine for sure... :lol: :rofl: :thumbs: :urock: :usa:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
Ron, in Alaska you don't shut down your car unless you can plug it in and use the egine heater.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Ron, in Alaska you don't shut down your car unless you can plug it in and use the egine heater.
They prefer Native American heater.  :poke:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Which is great when the car is iced over.  Makes scraping windows and even getting the door open much easier.

Only reason I have mine. If you live somewhere where there is freezing rain, its a miracle device. When there is snow, you need to clean the car off anyways, so i just clean off the drivers side, lean in and start the car. Let it run while Im cleaning off the rest. Shut the car off, go inside and get ready for work. The block is usually then heat soaked when I go to get in it and instant heat.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
^^^ Yup.  I have poured warm water over a car door to get it open before after a bad ice storm.  This is much easier!  I start the car, finish getting everything ready for work and then come down to scrape off the car.

I will say on a hot day, there have been more than a few times I've wished I had it in the Sol with the black leather interior.  I've gotten into the car and said a few choice words when the car has been sitting in the sun.   :mad:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
They prefer Native American heater. 
         :lol:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
^^^ Yup.  I have poured warm water over a car door to get it open before after a bad ice storm. 

Reminds me of a bunch of guys back in unibversity that had loaded up on a bit too much beer and went out on a cold night and 'poured' warm 'water' all over a guy's car, which then froze up solid, leaving him to chip it out the next day.  Hmm - I wonder if that guy might have been the inventor of the remote starter??   :thumbs:
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC