Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: LS3 converted Kappa owners  (Read 3918 times)

Offline cooper1340s

• Tech
LS3 converted Kappa owners
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
LS3 converted Kappa owners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of gas mileage are you getting from your LS3 V8 Kappa ( Sol or Sky)? I have LS3/480 conversion and my highway mileage seems to be around 25MPG at 60mph. Anyone getting more?
06 SLY, Sand&Steel, Formerly DDM Stage III Intercooled/Supercharged: NOW LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag differential, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red powder coated calipers, DDMWorks Stage 1 brake upgrade, extra horn, garage door opener, customized fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDMWorks console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDMWorks red racing backbone, car is de-badged.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Re: LS3 converted Kappa owners
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
are you looking at calculated numbers? because they will vary depending on how your car is tuned, and what differential/transmission you have in the car, tire size etc.

Best bet is to take a long trip, fill the tank, cruise at one speed and then refill the car. That will give you the true mileage.

I would be surprised if you could get a full tank over 25mpg when dividing miles traveled vs gallons filled
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline sbindley

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
I have no idea, but since I drive only in the city, I can tell you I am nowhere near 20+ mpg.  I can say that this is the most fun I've had burning fuel...

Offline jlab8

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
Just over 30mpg is entirely possible with a T-56 and 3.73 rear.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
Just over 30mpg is entirely possible with a T-56 and 3.73 rear.

I would like to see it done in actual numbers, not as an estimated ecu value.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
A lot of it boils down to the driver and the type of driving.  For much of my car's life, it has averaged around 10L/100km.  Worse when I was on it more, or in more stop and go traffic.  Some of my poorer mileage tanks went at about 12L/100km.  And some of the better under 8L/100km or over 30mpg (cruise control at 105km/h for 800+km :tool:).

I have since moved out of downtown Toronto to the "burbs", and my commute now is mostly ~80km/h with very little traffic, and lately I've been getting mid to high 8L/100km.  Basically picked up 5mpg without changing my driving at all, and it all being in the difference of roads/area.  I don't get to go fast enough i.e. 120km/h where drag hurts economy, but fast enough, that I get into 5th gear, and basically put around 2000rpm for long stretches of straight road.  And this is still with getting the ass out on almost every commute.  If I put in a little effort, I should be able to get under 8L/100km, or almost 30mpg on every tank.

Oh, I know what must be helping the mileage too . . . I've turned off my cat over temp protection, and run really "lean" (stoich, which is lean if you think about it under traditional tuning, but with DI these days, you can totally get away with it, which is why the Mazda Skyactiv is pretty good on gas . . . that and the high compression) under light load conditions, and then fatten it up as the boost rolls in.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:17:34 PM by Carbon Sky »

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
I don't get to go fast enough i.e. 120km/h where drag hurts economy, but fast enough, that I get into 5th gear, and basically put around 2000rpm for long stretches of straight road.  And this is still with getting the ass out on almost every commute.  If I put in a little effort, I should be able to get under 8L/100km, or almost 30mpg on every tank.

Drag hurts fuel economy at speeds as low as 40mph or 64kmh, though not as bad as the higher speeds.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline jlab8

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
I would like to see it done in actual numbers, not as an estimated ecu value.

I've actually done it. I don't drive the car like that often, kind of defeats the purpose.
Full tank, drove 318 miles, used 10.5 gallons to top it off. Easy to do if there are a lot of speed traps on your route.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
do you have some pics of your setup?

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »

I've actually done it. I don't drive the car like that often, kind of defeats the purpose.
Full tank, drove 318 miles, used 10.5 gallons to top it off. Easy to do if there are a lot of speed traps on your route.

:ttiwwp:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline jlab8

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »
I posted pics on here somewhere.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Aggressive #000741

Offline jlab8

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
Yeah, that engine bay looks familiar. I think I still have that funnel!