Forum > Drive Train and Suspension

C6 Z06 Brakes on a '7 GXP

(1/17) > >>

POS VETT:
Starkmaster03 installed a set of C6 Z06 OEM brakes on his '7 GXP.  Here are a few pictures of the results.  I'm going to let him explain the process.

06CoolSolstice:
Damn I bet those bring it to a stop in a hurry!  Can't wait to hear more.  :pop:

wspohn:

--- Quote from: 06CoolSolstice on October 02, 2012, 11:03:09 PM ---Damn I bet those bring it to a stop in a hurry!  Can't wait to hear more.  :pop:

--- End quote ---

It would be interesting to see stopping distances with the new brakes vs. the stock brakes.

GXP_Matt:
I can't imagine stopping distance will be too different since you can actuate ABS with the normal brakes, but the heat and fade resistance should be much better (with the right pads). 

Looks like it was a hub swap since the Vette wheels are on as well?  Very interested!

POS VETT:
I seriously doubt the C6 Z06 brakes would improve stopping distance since traction limit is dictated by tire-to-road-surface coefficient of friction; the stock brakes would overcome this.  The big brakes are a higher-capacity "heat sink" which means repeatability at high duty cycle.

Yes, he chose to use C5/pre-'9 C6 hubs.  He tried to use some 20" wheels out of his T/A (unsure of specs) and they wouldn't fit so I dug out my collection.  The wheels on the car right now are a set of front C6 Z06 wheels (18x9.5 ET40) that used to be on my CTS-V); not his choice though.  They are on the car so it can be driven; they stick out a bit.  We tried a C6 rear wheel (19x10 ET79) with 3/4" worth of adapter to clear the caliper, but alas, the wheel does not have deep enough pockets to clear the studs.  We also tried a C5 rear wheel (wagon wheel 18x9.5 ET61) and it couldn't clear the caliper before sticking out too much.

I believe he could have used the SSR Comp-H I got (19x10.5, ET62, 5x120.65 PCD) if the tire was kept narrow, but we didn't try that route.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version