Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice Recessed Grills  (Read 183821 times)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Solstice Recessed Grills
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
Yeah for manufacturing the part will have to have draft so that it can be removed from a mold.  But since I don't know what the depth should be I can't really determine what the draft would do to the grill size.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
Agreed we need to get an idea of how far the grills are recessed.

Dave as per our agreement here is my attempt at payment
(Image removed from quote.)

Will that work?

MMMMMM, had a couple of those this morning :) Thanks!
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »
There's more where that came from.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
I'll check the bumper when I get home

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

Offline RacerDave

• Tech
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
I am definitely interested in this project! (I signed up here just to comment)

Is the intent to replicate the grills that Rudy produced? My opinion doesnt matter much but I have to say the GM grills used on the club racer concept look more finished and production ready, for example they clearly have the draft you guys are seeking.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »
Hey, did you guys get the file transfer stuff figured out?  I have a File transfer site for work that you guys can upload to if you'd like.  I can give you a link to read/write to a folder.  Just let me know.

Big Brother will be watching, but car parts won't be a big deal!  :)

Nevermind...I see you all got it figured out.  Anyway, if anyone ever needs to transfer large files, feel free to give me shout!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
I am definitely interested in this project! (I signed up here just to comment)

Is the intent to replicate the grills that Rudy produced? My opinion doesnt matter much but I have to say the GM grills used on the club racer concept look more finished and production ready, for example they clearly have the draft you guys are seeking.

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I would like to avoid the problems that Rudy's grills were known for and developed a more refind product.  I will have to look into the club racer.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Personally I would like to avoid the problems that Rudy's grills were known for and developed a more refind product.  I will have to look into the club racer.

Here's a pic of the club racer for you:
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »
It's kind of hard to tell but it looks like Rudy's were recessed a lot more than the club racer.  The picture that I posted Friday had the grill set back about 2 inches which might be pretty close to the club racer ones.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »
If we don't get a measurement by the time I wake up (I'm on night shift this week) I'm driving to where my car is to get you that measurement. Any other measurements you need?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
I love those grills..alot!
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
I believe the club racer is what started the whole recess grill craze, and what Aftershock was going for when they designed theirs.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
If we don't get a measurement by the time I wake up (I'm on night shift this week) I'm driving to where my car is to get you that measurement. Any other measurements you need?

Bob,
Depth is the most important. Some pictures with a tape measure length and width at the depth of the grille would also help. (just incase you don't hear from SA)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »
I have the CAD model of the stock part so depth should be about the only thing we need but like Wartie said some overall dimensions wouldn't hurt.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Got the measurements. As you can see the setback from the front edge to the front face of the grill isn't the same all around. The grill is about 1" narrower than the ring horizontally and about 11/16" shorter than the ring vertically.

These measurements aren't exact and were just taken with a tape measure but they should be pretty close.

I like the rounded edges on the tabbed front portion of the ring that you've done SA. With a rounded front lip the same as the stock grills the issue of NA vs GXP is gone. It's gonna look sharp!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:36:46 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
Love the Club Racer grills and the front edge looks similar to what you have done SA. I blew up the picture that DaveOC posted, brightened it up and cropped it. Lost a little quality but gives you a better idea what the concept was like. I'll see if I can find a bigger picture.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
Thanks Bob I see what I can do.

That rounded edge should be the same as what is on a stock NA grill, the picture I posted.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »
That rounded edge should be the same as what is on a stock NA grill, the picture I posted.

I would think so. I saw that and I think it'll look great. Thanks for taking the lead on this.

Offline silverfox90

• Tech
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
This is a mod I am definitely interested in doing, but of course the issue was finding anywhere to buy the recess grilles. Just to be clear, is this thread the planning phase for production and are there definite intentions to move forward with a product?
2008 Solstice GXP- 31,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, leather wrapped and stitched center console.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:18 AM »
Just to be clear, is this thread the planning phase for production and are there definite intentions to move forward with a product?
Yes it is in the planning phase and the hope is that they can be produced in limited volumes. Once the design is complete it can hopefully move forward.

Offline opjohn

• Tech
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
Put me down for a set..... I love them !
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2007 - 2.4 - Black - Hahn Stage 3, Hahn Hi-Flow CAT, Solo SQR-2, Foose Nitrous 20's with 452 Falken tires, Norm's Finned Diffuser & Fenders, GReddy BOV & PRofec-B Spec-II B/C, Autometer Mech Boost & Electric Oil Temp gauges, DDM Two gauge A-Pillar POD & Powdercoated valve & engine covers, Illuminated WR, JPM Centre Console, Arm Rests & Visor Covers, ASAP Front, Side, Rear Light Covers & Custom Fuse Box Cover, Stubby Antenna, SprintBooster, DDM Street Backbone, BC Coilovers, Z0K Sway bars

Offline RacerDave

• Tech
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
Here are a few more pictures of the Club Racer grills for anyone curious. The depth of the grill looks about 1.5". Looks to me shallower than rudy's (which are a cross between the club racer and sd-290). Also of note, the club racer grill mesh looks much shallower than any of the others, almost wiry thin.

Check out the blue car in my album, the grills look identical to the club racer but it appears to be a privately owned car.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chewievette/Cars/06%20Solstice/Recessed%20Grills/

Note the lower edge of the grills are slightly more recessed from the bumper, I believe this is the difference you guys have mentioned about the GXP and non-GXP bumper

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
There are some great pictures of the grills there Dave. The blue car you mentioned was a concept car in 2006 from GM called the GXP-R. You can find more information on it here.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3616.html

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
Here are a few more pictures of the Club Racer grills for anyone curious. The depth of the grill looks about 1.5". Looks to me shallower than rudy's (which are a cross between the club racer and sd-290). Also of note, the club racer grill mesh looks much shallower than any of the others, almost wiry thin.
Interesting that the 'brake vents' by the foglights are inset too (or grills removed completely - I can't tell).

That was one thing I didn't like about the inset grills - that they didn't match the foglight ones.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
I should have bought the GXP-R.

Crap.