Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice Projector HID Install - a Show and Tell  (Read 29434 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Solstice Projector HID Install - a Show and Tell
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the warranty claim.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
So I guess you owe me a set of lights now since I pointed it out to you.  I will take a set of front and back, thank you very much.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the warranty claim.
Just heard back from them... they (TRS) are sending me a replacement shutter mechanism as well as a shroud clip (which will break when I take the trim shroud off).  I won't have to return the broken one first.  Yay!

Still not looking forward to taking this whole headlamp apart again.  Sigh.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Fixed
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
Well, I got the parts from TRS yesterday, so this morning I took the headlight out and opened it up using the oven... turns out I didn't need the parts after all...

This is what they sent, a new shutter and a shroud clip:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

But when I took the headlight out I could hear something rattling around inside the headlamp assembly.  Took it apart and found one of the shutter-holding screws had backed completely out (which is what was rattling) leaving the shutter loose - hence the jamming and vibrating as I drove.  A screwdriver and some blue loctite later, it was back in (arrow):

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Put everything back together and back in the car.  Seems to be working fine again (cross-fingers!)

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
So you are going to send the parts back.............................right?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
Yup.  At least, I'll ask them if they want them back.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »
Great that they stand behind their stuff. Odd that the screw shook loose eh.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
A question for TS. I am getting ready to install my HID kit and have a question about wiring it. I have read that the proper way to install this is to use a relay harness so the power comes from the battery and not the BCM. Can I safely use the positive and negative connectors on the side of the fuse box (see below) or should I connect them directly to the battery?

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
OK, FIRST, those terminal are NOT positive and negative.  Well, the red one *IS* positive (and is what I used for my setup - per the photos in the thread), but the black one IS NOT NEGATIVE!  Instead, just find a nearby chassis bolt - one with ground wires already going to it is probably a good choice - and use THAT for the negative.

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
Thank you for the info  :thumbs:
Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
Hey TS, thanks for the write up!! Can you give me a little more info on how you used the JB weld to hold the projector in place more secure. Thats my only worry and only reason I havnt started the project. I was told I may need to make a bracket to help hold it, but they looks the same as yours and this seemed like a great option!
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
Hey TS, thanks for the write up!! Can you give me a little more info on how you used the JB weld to hold the projector in place more secure. Thats my only worry and only reason I havnt started the project. I was told I may need to make a bracket to help hold it, but they looks the same as yours and this seemed like a great option!

I just built up a flattened cone of the stuff around the bolt hole locations, to give a nice flat surface for the nut and distribute the clamping force.  See the rear of the reflector in the pic below.  The projectors themselves are not glued in, if that's what you were thinking.

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
oh ok, I see now! did you do this with the bolt screwed in or did you build it up around the hole, then let it cure, then screw the bolt in? *may be a dumb question, I just dont do this kinda stuff much...*
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
oh ok, I see now! did you do this with the bolt screwed in or did you build it up around the hole, then let it cure, then screw the bolt in? *may be a dumb question, I just dont do this kinda stuff much...*

Per the original posts...

I was a bit wary about just bolting them down to the angled rear of the reflectors and the possible stress that might put on them (there's not much material there, as you can see from prev photos).  So I got some JB weld epoxy putty (the stuff you mix/knead together with your fingers) and used it to mold reinforcements around the mounting holes.  I used drinking straw sections to extend the holes (though you could just re-drill them if you wanted) and cut the top surface flat with a sharp knife when the putty started to firm up.  Note, this putty doesn't have a long working life when mixed - maybe 5 mins tops - so I recommend you only mix enough for two holes at a time.  Of course this part is optional (I don't know of anyone else who goes to this much bother), also, there is limited clearance behind the lower two holes when the bowl is put back in the housing, so make them as short as possible if you do this. 

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »
should I return the original jb weld that I purchased and get the kwik weld (the one I have sets in 4-6 hours and cures in 15 to 24 hours) the kwik weld sets in 6 mins and cures in 4 to 6 hours...thank you for your help!