Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Drag Racing Slips  (Read 64541 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Drag Racing Slips
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Post them if you got them.

Give some details on your car, mods and hp

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
Re: Drag Racing Slips
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
I don't have my slips but I have the times in my Passport.  Need a way to download them as they give RWHP figures too.

Will get more this spring when we go back! 
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
I don't have my slips but I have the times in my Passport.  Need a way to download them as they give RWHP figures too.

Will get more this spring when we go back! 

Where do you go?  What strip?  I don't know where any are yet.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
Hey Gunny
We go to Milan which is probably not too far from you either.  It's about 40 minutes for me.  It's a pretty decent track and they have some very nice events.  I'm anxious to go!
They were talking about putting up an 1/8 mile track at MIS since it's not used most of the year besides the 2 races they get.  That would be really nice since that's about 15 mins away!!
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
Hey Gunny
We go to Milan which is probably not too far from you either.  It's about 40 minutes for me.  It's a pretty decent track and they have some very nice events.  I'm anxious to go!
They were talking about putting up an 1/8 mile track at MIS since it's not used most of the year besides the 2 races they get.  That would be really nice since that's about 15 mins away!!

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:30:57 PM »
Here is mine when all I had was the magnaflow exhaust. I'm car 108.  I lost because I had dialed in 14:15.

RWHP was 219, I'm pretty close to 300 RWHP now, I haven't been back to the track yet...

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
Milan is an hour and a half for me.  What days/events do I need to look for on teh schedule to plan a trip over for a couple test runs?  Never done it before and not looking to race just yet.  What else besides a helmet, car and cash would I need? 

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »
Tire Gage, drop your rear tire pressure to 19 pounds.  You can use the pump there or the one in your trunk to air them back up when you are done.  Not much else.  The lower tire pressure will prevent wheel hop...

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »
Tire Gage, drop your rear tire pressure to 19 pounds.  You can use the pump there or the one in your trunk to air them back up when you are done.  Not much else.  The lower tire pressure will prevent wheel hop...

cool, didn't know that.  Thanks.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »
You go all the way up to Cecil, Joe?  Is Capitol still there?  I used to run capitol fairly often.  Went out to Cecil a couple of times.  The joke used to be that Cecil was good for .2s.  Can't remember if that's because Cecil is downhill or just because you don't have to dodge the potholes that are at Capitol.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
There was a car show and all Pontiac weekend, that is why a group of us went.   It was my first time drag racing but I had Rusty there to coach us since he worked the track.  He gave us all the tips...well not all the tips, he didn't want to be beaten...  He did make it into the 13s with a stock 07 GXP.  Their track was real sticky.  I haven't been to Capitol yet, Critterman lives real close to that one.  Even Buds is over an hour away for me.  So much for being in the armpit of MD

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »
Capital is still here in my backyard, I can sit on my back porch and listen to them run.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
If the track is sticky you won't need much besides your helmet and the cash.  They do different events but the test & tune is I think $10 to race, $5 to watch.  Then there is a Pontiac club that rents out the whole track and if I ever join up with those guys you can just go round and round as many times as you want.  We went early on a Saturday and there weren't many people there so we got a lot of practice in.  I have an automatic and with the nanny off I could launch about 2500 rpm without much wheel spin and pulled down low 13s.  I'd love to see what Deeps numbers would be with all the work he's done.  IC might put me in the 12s!!  It's exciting and nice to know the cops aren't watching  :crazy:
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
Can you PM me the name of that Pontiac club?  I'd like to look into them also.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
What's the best way to launch a stock Auto GXP and @ what RPM at a track?
Lower tire pressure to around 19psi?
Take it out of drive and into 4th?
Take traction control off or on Comp mode?
Bring revs up to 2K?
Pedal 3/4 of the way for 1/2 sec then full pedal or just give it full pedal?
Thanks

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:53:28 PM by tazz »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
On the pit burnouts.   DO NOT drive through the water, DRIVE AROUND IT.  (unless you have drag radials)  Street tires pick up a lot of water and will sling it on the track causing the track officials to have to mop up.  If you want to do a burnout.  Go around the water and then back up slightly.  I never did burnouts.

On a manual I held the RPMS at 2500 and then dumped the clutch at the green.
Oh yes, hold down TC for 7 seconds.  Turns it off completely.
Auto - two foot driving, 2000rpm  with brakes applied and then just slam that pedal down (i'm not sure if it is best this way because the calipers have to release, it may be better to wait for the green and hit the gas.

I'll ask ImpallaSS407TT to respond since he drags an auto...

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
I wonder if the foot brake or a non locked E-brake would be a better hold back for the 2000 rpm stance.  The rear wheel power at the punch would push through the E-brake more so the foot brake I would think.

But what do I know?  Never done it yet.  Just a guess.

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
I don't turn off the controls all the way, just the first off button works fine for me. 
I do not go through the water, I don't have a problem getting traction at those RPMs.
Also I leave my tire pressure the way I drove it there but you can play with that if you'd like.
Then I hold the brake and get the revs to 2 - 2500 (just before they feel like they'd spin) and then on the last yellow let up on the brake. 
I launch from low as that will go through the first 3 gears anyway and shift into the next notch before the end.  I don't think this is a big deal since it's all shifting anyway but it makes me feel good. 

The Royal Pontiac Club is the one Gunny.  I don't have their link on my work computer but you can google them to get it.  I think it was $40 or so a year to be a member.  It's great to see some of the awesome old school cars they have and it's amazing how hard the women in their group drive!  WOW!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:49:13 AM by sol_man »
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Lucy'sDaddy

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
    • Lucy's cardomain page
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
Gunny, Martin is where we are headed this summer. US 131 Motorsports Park. Pinks all out will be there this summer, too. Claims to be the fastest track in Michigan. Just rebuilt 2 years ago. There is also Lapeer Dragway, which is where Royal Pontiac club is running this summer. Stanton is where MIGPC runs. Don't know which is closer for you. Here are a few links:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/royalpont/
http://www.migpc.com/forumv2/portal.php

http://www.lapeerdragway.com/
http://www.us131motorsportspark.com/
http://www.milandragway.com/
http://www.midmichmotorplex.com/directions.html

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:33 AM »
Gunny, Martin is where we are headed this summer. US 131 Motorsports Park. Pinks all out will be there this summer, too. Claims to be the fastest track in Michigan. Just rebuilt 2 years ago. There is also Lapeer Dragway, which is where Royal Pontiac club is running this summer. Stanton is where MIGPC runs. Don't know which is closer for you. Here are a few links:

Cool Thanks.  Probably none of them are close or all about the same distance.

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »

Thanks for this post, I keep forgetting that Royal is listed under Hemmings!
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »
I made it to MIR this past Friday. I'll get pics of the timeslips after work.

Ran a 14.619 on the first run, 14.634 the second. Lousy 60' times on both runs. It was also pretty humid, so I'm sure that didn't help either.

I'm stock except for the K&N drop-in air filter, although i'm sure the ecm has long since  tuned down any benefit it gave.

Ran with 20 psi in the rear wheels, about 3/4 of a tank of gas, and esc/tc off. Launched at around 3-3.5k.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
I can't lauch that hard, I just boil the tires.   I have gotten new tires and hoping I can launch around 2-2.5 with these, with stocks I was launching at an idle :(
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
I forgot to get pics of the timeslips...left them at my desk at work. :sorry:
I can't lauch that hard, I just boil the tires.   I have gotten new tires and hoping I can launch around 2-2.5 with these, with stocks I was launching at an idle :(

I went drag racing last year, and somehow managed to pull off a 1.9 60' with a similar launch...so I'm not sure what happened. The track surface had been re-coated with traction compound about ten or so cars ahead of my first run. Next time I'll try launching lower, but I think how I was letting off the clutch was part of the issue...plus I simply don't have that much experience at racing, launching on the street an the track are two different things.

Maybe next time I should try an idle start just like I normally do...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
We don't have drag strips in whole country but are some events at 2-3 weeks this year rented air strips and lousy or not at all time trackers, also we have to travel from capital which is kind of middle of the country from 150 miles up to 400 miles to such an event, no event in capital.

I have the car for 1 month and I attend at 2 events up to now. I generally test the take off, I have 3 ways but I can't decide which one is best:
a) 3000-3500 rpm was same take off as an 4x4 diesel 200hp over 450Nm torque Seat but he had a weak clutch
b) 4000-4500 rpm which i used most and have won on take off all races (350z with some mods, 2 fwds which doesn't count and an awesome BMW E30 325 turbo which makes over 350 rwhp with a weight under 1 tone)
c) a little bit over 5000 rpm once or twice I remember I won against the car from point a) but this could be because of his lousy clutch

I have to mention many times I take off only with TC off or in Competitive mode, few time in ESP off, our surface is very weak compared with your drag strips and I'm runing on my stock Bridgestone Potenza (only against the BMW I drop the tire presure from 2.0 bars down to 1.5 bars)

I will have a friend with an Audi S3 4x4 Haldex with about 260-280hp to make some test along with him to see which is the best solution, I don't think under 3500rpm is a good solution cause I can get into turbo lag. I will keep you posted.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!