Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tire Hazard Cover - Yay or Nay.....  (Read 4463 times)

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
Tire Hazard Cover - Yay or Nay.....
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Hi,
It must be colder out there today, had my first little twitch of summer tires complaining of the cold, LOL !!
BUT, later today my new corners turned up YAY !!  Ok, they are still in the garage but I will put them on and post pictures soon.  :yay:
So, the million dollar question: Is tire hazard worth it? Got mine from Tire-Rack so there policy is a little more of a pain as you have to ring up to get a job number if one needs replacing, then you claim back. They have a $25 puncture repair max but seriously, can you actually get a repair for that?
I did search for this here but only found GJ's thread on running them in when he got the summer ones. Very interesting comments, no wonder the tires don't like the weather here, lol !
Chris.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Tire Hazard Cover - Yay or Nay.....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
Chris,

Glad to see you on here!  I hope you are still enjoying the car.  YES - change the tires!  Those things will kill you in the cold / winter weather.  They are absolutely not the right tire for all season use where you live.

Looking forward to seeing the new wheels and tires on the car.

As for the actuall question in your post, I've never thought those were worth it and have had very few problems with tires.  When I do get a repairable puncture, it ususally costs about $10 to repair (pulling tire off rim and patching from inside).  I think it is like any insurance, if you are in a high risk area, it's probably more worth the money.
Hoping your part of NJ is doing ok and glad to see you on here.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
Hi,
It must be colder out there today, had my first little twitch of summer tires complaining of the cold, LOL !!
BUT, later today my new corners turned up YAY !!  Ok, they are still in the garage but I will put them on and post pictures soon.  :yay:
So, the million dollar question: Is tire hazard worth it? Got mine from Tire-Rack so there policy is a little more of a pain as you have to ring up to get a job number if one needs replacing, then you claim back. They have a $25 puncture repair max but seriously, can you actually get a repair for that?
I did search for this here but only found GJ's thread on running them in when he got the summer ones. Very interesting comments, no wonder the tires don't like the weather here, lol !
Chris.

I don't know I have never bought the road hazard insurance on tyres but I have picked up a puncture a time or two and you can get them fixed for like $10-20 or at least you could last time I went that route.  I have purchased tyres from Tire Rack before and the place I had install the tyres was trying to sell me road hazard even though the tyres were not from them.  It would be more convenient then having to call and deal with someone hundreds of miles away.

I know my car insurance company also will sell road hazard insurance so you could also look into that if you really wanted it.

It really comes down to what kind of hazards are in your area and do they justify the added cost.  In my case I think I have come out ahead by not getting the road hazard.

By the way how is GJ's former car liking it's new owner?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
GJ - Oh I've been on here alright, I like to read what's going on. I don't think we're below 50 yet, certainly not when I go out. But it was sunny again, so top down and off I go  :drive: (and no, I wasn't topless per se !!)
Mots of NJ is back to normal, gas available power back. We were off for 6/7 days but compared to some, we had it very lucky. There's still a lot without power or even homes........  Kids only went back to school this week, halloween was unofficially cancelled, a few were about on the 5th Nov.
GJ's ex has been basically happy. We took it to Hersheys Pennslyvannia a few weeks ago, top down of course. Going was warm but cooler coming back. I notice a sound from the rear, like the old sound of a whiny diff. Maybe is was cos it was cooller and the top was up. I certainly havn't noticed it since we got back but then probably havn't listened for it.
I tihnk it's main complaint is that it doesn't get a good wax job like GJ used to give it. Insert jokes here...........
I've never bought road hazard for any car anywhere, don't think it's common in UK. I had a quick search for aftermarket cover without success so far, or at least nowt I could do online, doh!
At least the miles sipped per gallon is creeping up, although I've no idea what I actually expect to get in it's tuned state. GJ, over to you...
Chris.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
Miles per gallon will be completely dependent on how you drive it.  I was never very concerned with fuel mileage and really have no idea what mileage to expect from that car with that tune on it.  Many here with similar tunes get mid 20s if I recall correctly, but they might drive like wimps :) anyone claiming to average over 30 clearly has no idea how to drive their car correctly :kwh:
That said, I did average 30 on a 5 day road trip, but that was 1000 miles of highway driving, mostly on cruise control.
I could never stop having fun long enough to keep my foot off the go pedal.

So, to sum up, I'd say you should be around 23 mpg if your smiling while driving.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:33 AM »
I get about 20.5 miles per gallon so I must be doing something right! Hazard is a gamble. Do you feel lucky? A few weeks ago my wife hit a median and destroyed her drivers side front tire. Hazard insurance would have been nice...but except for that one instance we have never needed it.

OK, gotta ask, why catandsplat?
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
Chris  I have Hazard the Ins. with my tires through Pep Boys  Only cause I got their tire deal buy 3 and sent in the rebate and you get the money back for the 4th tire. Still have never used it. Now I get about 24-27 MPG . On the trip to DDM's I was getting 30.5 MPG down and back. <---" Lead Feet "  . I am running  Cooper " ZEON "  All Season High Performance Radials ,I'm in Maryland just down I-95 . Hope this helps.

PS.
     I know these Tires work in the Rain , just waiting to see how they are in the ( WHITE STUFF. )
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
I know my car insurance company also will sell road hazard insurance so you could also look into that if you really wanted it.

Ditto, our automotive insurance company (Allstate) rates are always cheaper in the extra coverage department (rental, tire hazard, etc. ).  However, you usually have to get clarification on your policy from your agent, or specifically ask them to be included.  Otherwise, it's only afterward when you need it you discover its wasn't included in your policy.  :roll:

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
I'm with StateFarm but havn't spoke to them about it and not obvious on their website. I'll probably plump for the Nay...
Thanks for your mileage pronouncements. I'm not really worried about it, just wondered how I should fare. Most bumf implies late 20's / early 30's for a stock car. I'd consider myself generally light on the pedal with sporadic blasts. :cool:
New corners should be on tomorrow even though it's warming up a bit to low 50's, so I'll upload pictures soon after, maybe I'll even clean and polish it for glamour shots  :wife:

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
The New Corners are ON !!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
Ok, took a while to remember how to put pictures on here but looks like it worked this time. I was surprised how easy the old lugs came off, all except the drivers rear side ones which were a lot tighter but not over tight methinks !!
Also had to purge the cooling system after turning on the heater for the first time this year. Maybe the first time ever after it's warm upbringing in downtown San Diego,  :rofl: !!
Corners consist of 17x7.5 Sparco Assetto Gara BLK with 235/50R-17 Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II. They look pretty cool for cheaper wheels. Much lighter than the originals (which weighed in at 50lbs each) and, as they'll get filthy, they were never gonna be expensive ones. Black and snow will show them up nicely.....  :yay:

These were taken after a hose down as well. The driveway is mud at the moment till it gets tarmac'd tomorrow.

I'm just about to search but if anyone has recommendations for soft top water sealant products, then please let me know, thanks.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
Ok, took a while to remember how to put pictures on here but looks like it worked this time. I was surprised how easy the old lugs came off, all except the drivers rear side ones which were a lot tighter but not over tight methinks !!
Also had to purge the cooling system after turning on the heater for the first time this year. Maybe the first time ever after it's warm upbringing in downtown San Diego,  :rofl: !!
Corners consist of 17x7.5 Sparco Assetto Gara BLK with 235/50R-17 Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II. They look pretty cool for cheaper wheels. Much lighter than the originals (which weighed in at 50lbs each) and, as they'll get filthy, they were never gonna be expensive ones. Black and snow will show them up nicely.....  :yay:

(Image removed from quote.)

These were taken after a hose down as well. The driveway is mud at the moment till it gets tarmac'd tomorrow.

I'm just about to search but if anyone has recommendations for soft top water sealant products, then please let me know, thanks.

Most kappa people tend to either use 303 aerospace, or raggtopp for treating/maintaining the top.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

My baby!

Lookin good. The black wheels look great !

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Thanks GJ, glad you approve. Not sure why they went on so small and unable to magnify them? They were done on my smartphone, so not brilliant. Obviously need to bed them in properly. Went out last night and they were 'ahem' quite firm LOL !!  But you'll be pleased to know the butt warmer worked a treat  :thumbs: