Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Turn signals not cancelling?  (Read 16000 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Turn signals not cancelling?
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
The turn signal on my car wouldn't cancel. The left would cancel fine but the right wouldn't cancel most of the time after I made a turn.

This problem isn't on my car but my wife's 09 Malibu. The parts are the same as the Cobalt and HHR that has the same column as our Kappas do. Stands to reason that some of us here will have this issue at some point with our cars so if you do, here's how to fix a bum turn signal switch.

The great thing is unlike older cars, the steering wheel doesn't have to come off. 20 minutes tops from start to finish.

You get the switch out by removing the 3 screws under the column that hold the plastic cover around the column behind the steering wheel and removing the cover. You can then disconnect the wires from the switch and lastly, remove the switch by pressing in the two tabs on either side of the switch.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:14:37 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Turn signals not cancelling?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
That was a great video. Thanks. I played it twice just in case I need to do this. Nice to hear a Canadian accent..eh. ;)
Ride it like you mean it.

nomead

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
Excellent - I've had this as an issue for a while, but never figured it was worth fixing.
Now I will!!  :thumbs:

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
Yeah. and the dealer would charge how much for this? I can just imagine.
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
Don't forget to check the blinker fluid level!  :lol:
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
Bob has an accent?
I just thought he said EH too much
:D

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
It isn't my video folks, just found it when I was looking for a solution to the problem with the wife's Malibu.

I can tell ya EarthNTX how much it is to fix it at the dealer, at least in Canada, 'cause I inquired about it. They told me $250 but remember that they aren't going to fix the old one, they'll just replace it. I suspect it would have been more than that though because there is a new switch that they use now and with that new switch they have to replace the bracket that the switch clips into. The new switch probably has a stronger or better designed spring I suspect.

Back to the new style switch...

With the new style switch and the new bracket, now you have to pull the steering wheel and the coil behind the wheel to get the old bracket off and replace it. It no doubt would work but you'd have to take a second mortgage on the house when you get the bill for that.

Easier (not to mention cheaper) to follow the video and fix the old switch, worked for me. I did find a few of the old style switches new on eBay if anyone's looking for a replacement.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
Mine just started doing this very randomly, thanks!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Thanks SB!  Bookmarked for future (possible) reference :cheers:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »
A year and a half later and still works great.   :thumbs:

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »
Don't forget to check the blinker fluid level!  :lol:
Also The Left Turn Blinker Oil, Not to be confused with the Right Blinker Oil! Part No. G2378349HJ39383DH093034-0-0KJ25486651486-54668765-6969
 :lol:
Good vid though!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline vspohn

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »
The fix to the turn signal module is clear but I am having extreme difficulty removing all three pieces of the plastic cover around the steering column

Offline bluegoat05

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 12:05:19 AM »
I you have trouble with this on a Solstice, please continue reading this!! I did mine today and ended up doing a lot more work than I had to. So, I wanted to save you all some trouble. FYI You do not have to remove the top cover on the steering column (this requires the facia of the dash to be removed).

Also the blinker switch will not slide out because there is a dash in the way. What to do:
-Remove plastic kickplate directly under the steering wheel (held in by push clips and 7mm's)
-Remove metal plate (held on by (4) 10mm bolts)
-Disconnect column mount ( held on by (2) 13 mm bolts)

The steering column will now drop to a point where the switch will slide out and you can proceed with the video instructions.

Cheers!

Offline Konoa

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:04 PM »
 :slap:  my signals are like new...  i never use them

Offline agent008

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 06:57:03 AM »
:slap:  my signals are like new...  i never use them

Hey there, you must be Pinstripe! Not using the turn signals is, erm... one way of making them last longer...

Here's another video that Youtube suggested after watching the one linked on this thread. Nice thing about this other video is that the guy shows how to remove the stalk. It's on a Malibu but a similar process can be used for Kappas.