Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Replaced wp, now the temp hits 232  (Read 6429 times)

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
Replaced wp, now the temp hits 232
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
I just finished replacing the water pump on my 07' na a few days ago..  I let it sit with the system empty for a couple days to let the very little rtv that I used dry..  Filled it up yesterday and fired it up.  No leaks but the temp climbs slowly right up to 230+. I kill it when it gets to that temp but I'm not sure what is going on.  Is it normal to hit these temps the first time you start the car following completely emptying the cooling system?

The fan kicks on and as it climbs into the 220 range it speeds up significantly,  but the temp never drops.

Any ideas? 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The fun starts when it's paid off.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Replaced wp, now the temp hits 232
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »
Air bubbles?
Make the right choices now

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
Re: Re: Replaced wp, now the temp hits 232
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Air bubbles?

That's what I think is happening..  An air lock somewhere.   It burped quite a bit while I was filling it and the level didn't change at all while it was running though. 

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk.

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
I second what GJ said. I've flushed my coolant before and the temps never reached 230. You should try purging the air from the system (if you haven't already done so).

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
I haven't.   Is there a specific procedure that you follow to do so?

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
Here's a link that will help you out with purging the air: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/my-diy-fix-no-heat-overheating-engine-33692/

Just as an FYI, this link shows how to refill the system while avoiding getting air trapped in the system: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f55/coolant-bleed-procedure-38876/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:23:35 PM by S.P. »

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
Here's a link that will help you out with purging the air: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/my-diy-fix-no-heat-overheating-engine-33692/

Thank you,  I'll try this tonight and post my results. 

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
Do the na's have the same air bubble issues as the turbo's?
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Do the na's have the same air bubble issues as the turbo's?

My take is that the NAs will have the same issues if they develop the air bubbles, whether by leaks or otherwise. The NA's are not as likely to develop the air bubble issues simply by opening the overflow tank when warm, as happens to the turbo engines.
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
Maybe a call to DDM if that doesn't work to get their thoughts. Air bubbles would be my first thought though.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
Thats my thought to. Others have had the same Issues in the Past ...    I have to check the Anti freeze in mine and wondering if I should let the dealer deal with it ?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm not that concerned.   Finding the will power to work on the water pump was much harder than actually doing it,  so figuring this out shouldn't be too bad... 

It's tempting to procrastinate when you have another car and this one is just going to be parked for 4 months anyway. 

I didn't get time under the hood last night,  but I'll get under there tonight. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »
Did you replace the thermostat as well?  Have you checked it?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
Did you replace the thermostat as well?  Have you checked it?

I didn't,  and instantly regretted it.   I might pick one up to install over the winter.   Unless I damaged it when I unbolted it,  it would be a pretty big coincidence. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
I think I would start there, you can pull it and put it in a pot of water on the stove and see if it opens.  DDM has a how to post that makes it as simple as it can be to do it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
This video?

DDMWorks - LNF Coolant Refill on Ecotec Engines

I just watched that video last night as well..  I know I'll have time tonight so I'll let everyone know how it goes.   

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
So on Sunday when I was done screwing around I parked the car next to my driveway,  which is slightly downhill. The coolant tank was full. Today I started it and the low coolant light was on..  Filled it up,  checked for leaks, and went for a 15 mile spin. Max temp 204,  usually around 198.

No leaks, high temps, whine or weird smells.  I think the air (and a lot of it) found its way out while sitting..

Offline werks

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
Replaced wp, now the temp hits 232
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:06 PM »
Sounds about right I have had several kappas fix themselves this same way overnight too!
Dave Gilbert
Performance Autowerks, Inc.
Phone - 815-439-4547
Fax - 815-439-6751
WERKS MAX Power Solstice GXP LNF - "50 Trim" WERKs turbo - 109 Octane - 415whp/428ftlbs
Anthony's SKY Redline LNF - GT35R - 93 Octane/Water/Meth - 442whp/414ftlbs
Ricky's Solstice LE5 '50 trim" WERKS turbo - 93 Octane/Water/Meth - 374whp/358ftlbs
Matt's Cobalt SS LNF Billet 55/57 WERKs turbo - 93 Octane - 442whp/450ftlbs
www.performanceautowerks.com
info@performanceautowerks.com

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
I've just had this issue as well. Temp hit 255 when returning from trip out. Fine going, lucky it was only 10 mins away. Mine was because I put the heater on, a well known spot for air bubbles to collect. I just angled the purge tank up and squeezed the pipes, topped up and now it hits 201ish  :drive:

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
The cooling system was problematic after a flush and refill. The temps would climb, temp light would come on and then it would drop temp. When the heater was turned on to dissipate the heat it would blow cold air. Since air was in the system I let it cool down, did the upper rad hose squeeze routine and removed the upper rad hose to add fluid in stead of using the reservior tank. Others have had sucess with changing the elevation of the car by jacking the drivers side or using a hill to help the air escape or combining various techniques to get the air out like the one DDM recommends.

Each time  I used the upper hose to refill the system the temps would not climb as high, they settled down sooner and it finally stopped reaching the overheating stage after the second refill.

When cool the upper hose finally has a feel of fluid in the line and temps are stable.

There is a technical bulletin for air in the cooling system. It has an installation of 2 check valve to control air.   The parts are less than $20.00 and I ordered since it is a good investment to control this issue.
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »
Just before 4 years of ownership of my 08 Sky RL, I started getting intermittently higher than normal coolant temps.  Mine used to be around 96-98*C "normal" and started hitting 106*.  I was going to swap out my Dexcool anyways and install the check valves, so I decided just to be safe I'd throw in a fresh t-stat as well.

When doing this job, to get the air bubbles out (after installing the valves, and filling with Dexcool), I raised the expansion tank.  I basically removed the 2 bolts, and then raised it by putting a roll or shop towels under the tank.  This now held the tank higher than anything else in the coolant system.  I revved the engine a few times to build up the waterpump rpms, and when I did, a LOT of air and bubbles came out, and the coolant level would lower.  I did this until I saw no more bubbles/air coming out back into the expansion tank.

After swapping out the Dexcool, my can now runs consistently between 85-88*, and I don't get any unusual temp spikes anymore.

Offline Sbutcher2

• Tech
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
The water temp still seemed to move around alot, atleast it never went above 210F. Every day for several days while waiting for the check valve I squezed the upper hose and continued to get the air out of the system.

Installed one valve of the 2 check valves recommended in the TB. Where the turbo hose and the reservior return got install first. Temps stayed solid, around 200F. and the heater is working great. Especially important now in the NorthEast.
Enjoying the open ride.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
This is the valve part number
Check Valve

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »
Question; Is there recommended timeframe that coolant be flushed/refilled regardless of temps or mileage?