Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: front rotors and pads  (Read 3240 times)

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
front rotors and pads
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
ok this morning I had to move my sol for men working.  backed it up and touched the brake pedel .scrap sound and pulsating .took to dealer they said could be rust build up or dampness :idiot: 2 months just don't happen .they were going to turn them down . I told them dumb A :censor: Its a New Car they replaced the rotors and pads  and told me they had grooves in them . from 9:00 am till 2:15 pm waiting .Has anyone ever had this happen to the Brakes?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: front rotors and pads
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
Nope, I have 35,000 miles on my solstice and brakes and routers are still really in great shape.  Something must be wrong with something else that caused this to happen. 

Also no one else in our group has had brakes or routers replaced with the exception of ones that upgraded with DDM.  I saw lots of pads after DDM replaced the OEM ones at Joe's garage and all had lots of wear on them.

Sorry
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
I haven't heard of anyone else having a similar problem with front brakes.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »
I've got over 78k on the original brakes. Getting close to needing some but no problems. Guess I don't drive fast enuff.
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
MY rear brakes will stick after a rain and I apply the parking brake in my garage.  I'll get up in the am and I'll hear a pop as they let go when I start rolling.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »
That happens to me too Joe, not my car, but when I get up to get going, I hear a grunt and a couple of pops until I get rolling.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »
The stock rotors will rust, sometimes overnight.  It is common, and takes a couple of stops to clean them off.  Slow speed stop will get you some noise, but I have never had a pulsation.

I replace my pads around 25k (upgraded kit) and they had plenty of life left on them.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »
I redid mine, like Critter, with DDMWorks upgrade and mine had over 36K miles and they were fine. BUT the DDMWorks is so much better -- they helped me go fast and then they helped me stop fast :lol:

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
The rust is common but grooves?  No way
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
The rust is common but grooves?  No way

There have been a few isolated incedents of rocks getting caught between the backing plate and the rotors.   that was early in production and i only know of one maybe two issues.   Big noise and groves.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »
well this is a 1st .only 2 months old today and 2015 total miles.  what else if anything can happen. just my Luck :gaah:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass