Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Coolant source for turbo install  (Read 3420 times)

Offline 2.4solstice06

• Tech
Coolant source for turbo install
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
So I am tinkering on my turbo install and am trying to get the coolant lines straightened out. I plan on tapping into a heater hose for coolant lines, but does out matter which heater hose, the inlet or outlet? Is there any preference and if so, which is which?
Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 2

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Re: Coolant source for turbo install
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
What Turbo are you using ? I didn't think our T/C is water cooled . I've never taken mine off ,only the dealer. What intercooler are you going with ?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline 2.4solstice06

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
In have a custom made vibrant inter cooler. I am using a Garret GT2876r and the motor is a 2.4L.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
In have a custom made vibrant inter cooler. I am using a Garret GT2876r and the motor is a 2.4L.

We have seen installs here that use the heater hoses and that will work fine. If you want to take the time, you can remove the thermostat housing form the side of the engine, drill and tap it to accept a nice banjo bolt for the supply, which is what we did on the turbo kit we are designing for the 2.4L. It makes a much nicer connection and looks more OE. As for water return, we made a tube that fits in the water return to the radiator, since that is the lowest pressure and give great flow through the turbo. Using both heater lines you do not have as much pressure drop so your flow is not as good, but it will still work. As for which line goes to which side of the turbo, it really doesn't matter since the water is flowing sideways through the turbo.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Garrett or one of the turbo manufacturers has a good tutorial on how to set it up and how to clock the lines so when the engine is off the coolant around the turbo will draw in outside coolant. It's slick in theory.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
That sounds really cool, I'll have to look for that.

Norm and I actually had this exact same conversation back on the BB while I was building mine. I've seen some T into both lines which is how I started but with my home-depot build, I ended up just inline with one of the hoses : http://i.imgur.com/Aq5qQ.jpg

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »

Offline 2.4solstice06

• Tech
Re: Re: Coolant source for turbo install
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »
That sounds really cool, I'll have to look for that.

Norm and I actually had this exact same conversation back on the BB while I was building mine. I've seen some T into both lines which is how I started but with my home-depot build, I ended up just inline with one of the hoses : http://i.imgur.com/Aq5qQ.jpg

I also ended up just running inline through one of the hoses

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
It's worked for me for a few years  :thumbs:

My temps did raise from ~190 to averaging around 210 (up to 225 while idle) but I think that's due to the hose I chose. Eventually I'd like to run a larger radiator but all seems fine for now.