Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: My custom taillight mod  (Read 10327 times)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
My custom taillight mod
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
Not that I needed to make any more modifications. This one I just lucked out. I happen to find a taillight on Ebay and the other one from Flaagan at really good prices. I love the look of leds strips and halos but I thought I would also add laser etching (not sure I'm happy with it but its done). I went to a local trophy shop for the etching and purchased the leds, morimoto halos (Thanks Cartmann) and led converter. After reading threads from Cartmann and Tomato soup, I'd thought I'd give it a go.

First I had to open the light with a dremel tool. Not easy and be really careful because nicks or burning off too much just happens. I dremeled off and it was like the glue was plastic. Once it cooled, it was back to being just as hard. Work you way around till you eventually pop it off.

Next I lined up the led strips. No they are not perfect but usable.

Next I drilled out the center for the MR-16 light for the brake and turn signal light  and then did the same for the halo. These halos are burn your retina's bright but once the cover are over them, they are great.

So here is my dilemma. I couldn't get the wiring to light properly. The led converter has three wires. Black, Red and Green. I placed the MR16 on a black and one on green and the halo and led strips on black and red. Once connected, the led strip and halo would light up (halo fully) but the mr16 would not light with it when braking or turn signal. I reversed the plug and then only the halo would show half light and then shine fully on brake or turn. No MR16 on either. I have checked the light and it does work so my issue is wiring and how it connects to the plug in.

Any suggestion would be grateful.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: My custom taillight mod
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
What is the LED converter? Could maybe help if I knew what you were using it for (and how). Product link maybe?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
It was something I had seen on ebay. I thought it would work. They just call it a LED decoder. It looked nice, I cut the wires on the bulb side and soldered them on.

from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3156-3157-3056-LED-Decoder-LED-Warning-Canceller-No-Error-For-LED-Car-Light-DC8-/170875555595?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c8fa0f0b&vxp=mtr

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline 2.4solstice06

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
I'm assuming that ''led decoder'' is just a resistor that is meant to make the bcm think that the current your rear lights are using is normal so it does not detect any problems since leads draw less electricity. Ie: a lot of people put in resistors with led turn signals so they don't blink really fast

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 2

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
That is what I thought too although I wasn't concerned about the hyper flashing. I was trying to use as a method to plug into the OEM socket. This seemed like it could do the trick. So far it isn't but hopefully I'm just missing a connection.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
Not sure WHAT this LED decoder does, but it seems to be something to fool CANbus electronic error messages for LED lights.  As our cars don't have that, it's probably more a hindrance than any help.

I would remove the box part from the equation and connect the LEDs directly to the car wiring (you can still cut off and use the box's socket connector as a pigtail).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
Yeah, if that was top trick the bcm into thinking there are actual bulbs, that plastic would melt in no time. As far as I know, there really isnt a way to show a load without actually having the load there. Which is what the resitors are for an would heat up pretty f'n hot. Like tomato said, those are probably for fooling canbus light out detectors.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
Thanks , I'll get some sockets to crack open and solder direct. What do you think I need to do to make the halo as running and brake/turn?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
My custom taillight mod
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Its going to depend on how much power they are drawing. TS has all the math memorized and can recite it under water while swimming with sea Turtles.

But, id say you need to show the correct load for the factory set up or the BCM is going to yell at you.
Make the right choices now

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
Sorry, I'd reply but the d*mned Sea Turtles are pestering me.

Oh, they swam off now...  Chas... depends what you want to do.  Halos ONLY on brake/turn?  Just connect to the brake/turn supply (I assume they are already set for 12V).  If you want them to be both running lights AND brake turn, then you need a diode to isolate and a resistor that will dim them in 'running' mode.  You've got to let us know exactly what you want to do with all three lighting bits.

Anyway, see my circuit diagram here: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,6993.msg101156.html#msg101156

Ignore the 7812 bits on the left.  Replace the rectangle mass of LEDs/resistors at the top right with your halo and see how the 22R resistor and diode connect in the middle.  Then you can use the halo for running & brake (obviously YOUR resistor value may need to be different).  Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:19:17 AM by TomatoSoup »

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
Thanks TS. After deliberating on swimming with the fishes I decided to go the easy way and just wire three simple welds to the back socket. Hazah, it now works!!!

Halo and LED's only

With Brake and Turn light

Now I need to glue the cover back on and niteshade it. I tried permatech glue weld for plastic  for the etching and halo and it did really well but it doesn't allow a surgical  line to make it look clean. Its just mix and spread on. Any suggestions?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
My custom taillight mod
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 02:44:57 AM »
duct tape?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
duct tape?

No no no :slap: this is a Kappa, use speed tape.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
duct tape?

My wife says its not just for dating anymore.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
My wife says its not just for dating anymore.

I'm not going to ask...    :rofl:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
What about the stuff they use on the Headlights . Put a thin layer down then Heat it and seal them together . Theres a product called
U Glu Its a thin double sided tape clear. I used it on my Mini mirrors that are in the direct weather and makes a permaseal. It is water tight to.
I don't remember where I got it though.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
I found a lable that says U Glu is a Registered trademark of Morgan Adhesive Company Wayne, NJ 07470

I think my Sister got it for me when I was in Florida
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »
The honey do list of the day took too long and I didn't have enough glue to hit both lenses soooo. I'll have to do it for another day. Here are pics so far. Again they are not in placed on correctly and the trunk lid is not fully down. Just shots to see the far away effect.

Halo close

Brake light

Running lights

With Brake lights

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
Is the middle brake light even working?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:40 AM »
Is the middle brake light even working?

Yes I was just pressing the unlock button to light them up.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
Yesterday I taped around the light on the car to re-glue the lens back on. I would suggest when dremeling off the lens not to completely clean off the portion around the edges. I did for one and not the other and the one not cleared set easier back in place. Now it is glued in place and waiting for it to cure. Then I will take off the car and extra glue the sides for better adhesion and complete sealing. Next week I will do the niteshade.

Lit and lens off

All taped up and ready for Plastic weld/epoxy.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »
Interesting... so why not take the light out to glue it?

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
If I understand you correctly, I had to set the base in so when I glued the lens on I could line up the edges of the lens to the body gapping. If I tried to just glue together without being on the car, I don't think I would come close to lining up right. Now that it is gapped right, I will remove the tail light and give extra glue to it to better seal it.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
Ahhh, gotcha.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
Added more epoxy glue and took out for a test run. Hit bumpy roads and let the DRL's stay on. Point A to Point B, all was well. Point B back to Point A and the DRL's were out. Blown fuse. Brake and turn stayed. I tried to place another 15 amp fuse and POP. 20 amp fuse, POP. 25 amp, stays on.

My question to the electricians, is it ok to have a higher amp fuse in there?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.