Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: My custom taillight mod  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: My custom taillight mod
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Added more epoxy glue and took out for a test run. Hit bumpy roads and let the DRL's stay on. Point A to Point B, all was well. Point B back to Point A and the DRL's were out. Blown fuse. Brake and turn stayed. I tried to place another 15 amp fuse and POP. 20 amp fuse, POP. 25 amp, stays on.

My question to the electricians, is it ok to have a higher amp fuse in there?

Uh no it's not.  For what ever reason your DRL circuit is pulling way more current then the wiring was designed for which means if you use the higher rated fuse you will be replacing the wires soon too once all the insulation melts off assuming the conductor inside the insulation doesn't burn up first.  We don't really want to have a Kappa car-b-que.

Did you even do anything to the DRL circuit with this mod?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
What He said ^^
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
Car-B-que,  :lol:  No I don't want that.

No changes to the wiring. I have 2 12V leds strips and the Morimoto XB's on the running lights. Then the mr16 on the brake/turn. They were both soldered in on a OEM connector that connects to the car.
Should I run a resistor in between?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »
Without looking at a schematic of the DRLs I am not sure what is going on in that circuit or how it might be related to what you have done.

I am not sure where you are talking about adding a resistor but I don't think that is going to fix the high current draw in fact that will probably just increase current draw.

The popping fuses makes me think it's a short to ground but if it isn't blowing a 25 amp fuse or maybe hasn't yet blown it makes me wonder.  Generally you don't trouble shoot a blown fuse by using a bigger fuse that's how fires start.  If you haven't done anything to increase the load in the circuit then I would look for a short.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
It sounds like a dead short on one side of the circuit . maybe a ground making an intermitent contact in one of your Last connections . Maybe when you hit the Pot holes it made contact . 1st  remove the 25 amp fuse , then disconnect the last wires you connected  then put the proper size fuse in to see if if pops.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
The DRL circuit is entirely divorced from the taillights.  Presupposing that you haven't touched anything in the underhood fuseblock during your taillight mods, the DRL issue is probably entirely coincidental and unrelated.

Start tracing the wiring for the headlamps and look for trapped or frayed wires making intermittent shorts somewhere.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
To start, my apologies, the DRL fuse was not the one popping. It was #69 Park lamp fuse. As I read more this morning on Retrofit sources website, for the halo's to be used as markers they need a relay!

"If you want to run these with your DRL or corner/marker lights, you must power them through a relay to ensure smooth power delivery. We make our HD relay harnesses available at a discount along with the xBALed's for customers without a harness, though any will do. "

I don't know why I didn't think of it. When I added the leds and halos on the headlights, I had to add its own line. I have a 12V relay that I T-tapped into  circuit 62 (not DRL's). It then had a ground line, a line to the light and a line to a high current fused source. I also ground the lights more local too. Sounds like I overloaded the line and the next step should be a relay to these halos.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
I received the 12v relay and new resistors and have wired it up in the back but still need to send the two wires to the front for direct to the battery and to the fuse box. I think I will tap into the DRL fuse for the halo and see how it turns out.

I did however have a problem with nite shading. When I did my side markers, the came out really nice a clear and mirrored glossy. The tail lights didn't turn out so well. They came out very hazy? Anyone come across this?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
Nite shaded the tail lights but I'm not too happy with them. Very Hazy. I think I'll have to re-do. Next up is finishing the wiring to the halos.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.