Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Crap!  (Read 9518 times)

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Crap!
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Ok. New issue with the wifes redline...  :censor: Took my daughter to school today in the wifes Sky (beginning to see a pattern here   :cloud:  ) and it started to make a howling? sound whenever I gave it some gas and it had no power. When we got home I had her rev it while I looked under the hood and it sounded like it was coming from the turbo area  :idk: . I grabbed the hose nearest the turbo and it felt like it was vibrating at a high frequency when the howling sound was present. I did power wash the engine compartment this morning but did not get within 12 inches of any particular car part. I have power washed both engines in the past with no issue so I don't think this is a player but thought I'd mention it. It drove fine on the way to school and during the errands I ran while waiting for her. It did not start acting up until we were almost home.

After letting it cool off I restarted it and the howling was present until it warmed up enough and the high idle kicked down. Does this sound like some kind of intake/exhaust leak? This is a brand new engine with only a few thousand miles.

Beginning to think someone has put a "kappa curse" on me!  :nuts:

PS - I've been snakebit by these kappas way more than by my pet snakes.   :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:59:18 PM by Brazen17 »
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Crap!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
That could be a turbo going south on you.  I think maybe you should stop driving the daughter to school.  But than that may happen on it's own if you run out of drivable cars.

I don't think it's related to you washing down the engine.

You didn't do any crankcase breather mods recently did you?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
Hope it's not the turbo but then a again it's under warranty. It was replaced once already (leaking oil but really wasn't!) in Oct 2010. New one only has about 15K on it.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »
Can you take audio of the sound
And
Have you checked for play in the turbo?

Sorry to hear about your constant problems

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
Can you take audio of the sound
And
Have you checked for play in the turbo?

Sorry to hear about your constant problems

I am a man... of constant sorrow... (from; O Brother, Where Art Thou!)   :D

I could try getting a recording tomorrow and see if I can post it. I haven't messed with it yet and probably won't since it's under warranty still. Just wondered if anyone had some idea of what it might be. Howl is the best word to describe it and it rises and drops with throttle application. Only thing that makes me wonder about if it's the turbo is it also did it on cold startup with no throttle. Does the turbo spin even when not in boost?

Offline boboborino

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
I am a man... of constant sorrow... (from; O Brother, Where Art Thou!)   :D

Great song I love the Soggy bottom boys version but here's a more, shall we say rockin version from a local somewhat successful group.
Oh and sorry about your kappa curse.
http://www.maxilyrics.com/tin-foil-phoenix-man-of-constant-sorrow-video-88f3.html

Bert

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
Turbo issues usually sound like dentist drills. That coupled with noise when idle, makes me think it's not the turbo.

An alternative idea is the power steering pump. Have you checked the fluid level?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
Yes the Turbo spins when not in boost.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »
This seems to have started when you were talking about selling the Solstice. Could this be revenge . How many miles on each of your Cars . I would take it to the Dealer and let them check it or whoever Installed the New Motor in the Sky.  thats just my   :2c:  worth . I hope you get it resolved before Cruising weather  . Good Luck
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:34 PM »
This seems to have started when you were talking about selling the Solstice. Could this be revenge . How many miles on each of your Cars . I would take it to the Dealer and let them check it or whoever Installed the New Motor in the Sky.  thats just my   :2c:  worth . I hope you get it resolved before Cruising weather  . Good Luck

I think it's a Kappa Kurse!

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:13 PM »
Haven't checked the p/s fluid levels. Seems that would be an issue when turning not throttle/acceleration events.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
Check to see if any codes being thrown.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Crap!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
If it is low enough it will howl all the time
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »
Check to see if any codes being thrown.

No codes yet.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
Took it into the dealer today and waiting on the call...  Found out the drivetrain warranty expired on the 16th (yup, last wednesday - figures) and am looking for the wifes extended warranty paperwork to see what the details are for the plan she purchased (some company called Advantage is all I know at the moment). She is out of town until Sunday.

On the drive in the howl is there and increase with any throttle application no matter how light. Also could hear (and feel in both the steering wheel and shifter, though it was light) a vibration that starts around 3k rpm's and gets worse as rpm's climb. I could also hear what sounded like a bracket or maybe the turbo heat shield start to vibrate. Also there was zero boost according to the gauge and based on the feel of the car I agree.

On the plus side if it is not covered under her extended warranty my service rep said he should be able to get me what he called a 'GM assist' since the warranty just expired and I am a very good customer (his words not mine).

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
Based on my experience with these cars and due to warranties starting to expire, as much as I know I'll hate it, it may be time to trade/sell these cars.

To date:

Hers                          His

New engine                New turbo
New turbo                  2 New IC's
New IC                       Possible transmission issue (but could be only the clutch)

And various smaller issues. GM has, to date, been fantastic in taking care of us so I may stick with GM even though I have issues with the bailout.... Time will tell.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
Damn you are rough on cars.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
It's the curse I tell ya, the curse. Beware the curse!

If not for the totally opposite driving habits between my wife and I, I would agree but when you take that into account it doesn't make any sense. We've never had problems with the cars we've owned prior to this. Well, not counting the Chevy Venture. That was one big piece of crap! Still, the Venture was a bunch of little things (a bunch) with the worst being an alternator. Worst part about that was you had to disconnect the engine mount to get enough clearance to get the damn alternator out... Otherwise everything else has been trouble free. Maybe it's just averaging out now...

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Crap!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
I've got a lovely F250 for sale if you are looking for a change of pace.  It, like your Kappa, is turbo charged, rear wheel drive, manual transmission, it has nice firm suspension and gets over 20 MPG on the freeway.  The added plus, you can put both your Kappas in the bed and drive them around trouble free for a couple hundred thousand miles.

Just sayin.....
Make the right choices now

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56:01 AM »
was the water pump replaced on it?

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
  The added plus, you can put both your Kappas in the bed and drive them around trouble free for a couple hundred thousand miles.

Just sayin.....

G/J  He doesn't want to make a Double Decker Kappa . Just problem Free . :gaah:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
was the water pump replaced on it?

Nope. Still on the original.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
It's at times like this I remember what my long-time mechanic says; It's always cheaper to spend a few hundred dollars every now and then on troubleshooting & maintenance then wasting 10s of thousands of dollars on buying a new vehicle.  He's also why I've come to believe that a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold. However, he was also a micro-biologist for 35 years and only works as a mechanic because he wants too instead of has too.

Maybe Dave @ DDM might have some advice.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:23:40 PM by ChopTop »

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
OK got the call from GM. It's the turbo. GM cost for fixing it is $1,750.00 and with the GM assist I pay 40% of the cost or about $700.00. Does this seem reasonable to you guys? How hard is it to change turbo's on our cars? It looks like I can get one off Ebay for ~$300.00. From what I can see it doesn't look too involved but I've never done a turbo before. Does it take any special tools?

We may have to rent a car for a week or so and that has to be factored in as well since my car is also down for the count.

Any of you guys who have swapped out your turbo still have your old one that you might want to sell?

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
OK got the call from GM. It's the turbo. GM cost for fixing it is $1,750.00 and with the GM assist I pay 40% of the cost or about $700.00. Does this seem reasonable to you guys? How hard is it to change turbo's on our cars? It looks like I can get one off Ebay for ~$300.00. From what I can see it doesn't look too involved but I've never done a turbo before. Does it take any special tools?

We may have to rent a car for a week or so and that has to be factored in as well since my car is also down for the count.

Any of you guys who have swapped out your turbo still have your old one that you might want to sell?

It is not too bad to swap the turbo.  I did the 2871 "conversion" in a day taking it easy, and it is pretty straight forward.  I bet if you ask nicely Dave at DDM would share the instructions for that, which you could get the gist of a standard swap off of.  You could probably come out a few hundred dollars ahead doing it yourself, it is just a decision for you if it is worth the savings doing it yourself.