Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Crap!  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Crap!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »
if you re to pay $300, make this deal with them. you will give get them the turbo (as you said $300-500 tops) and they install it FOC.
$1750 seems stupid
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
It's at times like this I remember what my long-time mechanic says; It's always cheaper to spend a few hundred dollars every now and then on troubleshooting & maintenance then wasting 10s of thousands of dollars on buying a new vehicle.  He's also why I've come to believe that a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

Maybe Dave @ DDM might have some advice.

I am factoring in the cost of new vs. repairing but if one of our engines goes (and hers has already for no known good reason) then I'm looking as several thousand dollars right there. Since her engine is new I don't see it failing again but then again it failed once already at only 42K or so. And I know I have driven my car pretty hard and I'm at 68+k. Not beat on but still...
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
if you re to pay $300, make this deal with them. you will give get them the turbo (as you said $300-500 tops) and they install it FOC.
$1750 seems stupid

And that $1750 quote is just at GM cost!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
GMpartsdirect lists our turbo at $983.96!!! Holy smokes. That makes the $700.00 seem like a deal...

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Brazen since you are an LSM go to the link below download what's available there and read up on the procedure.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,6985.0.html

For those of you that are not supporting members, keep in mind there are benefits to those that are.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
It should take you less than 8 hours to change the turbo since you do not have a lift.
Antonio had some new ones for $500.00, not sure if he has any left.
Also get a DDM GT2871 and see if they do the install for free. I
If you can talked them into a free install and you supply the turbo that would be the best deal overall.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:25:37 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
Aren't we jumping ahead a bit here?  Not even sure if the turbo's the problem :lol:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
Forgot to mention the service rep told me the technician could spin the impeller with no resistance. I assume this is, shall we say, bad? I just hope no pieces/parts got sucked into the engine. I think not because the engine ran smooth with no issue except whenl I tried to apply any boost.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
I went ahead and gave them the thumbs up since they already had about two hours or so invested in labor. At this point doing it myself would not have reaped much savings...

Just so you guys whose warranty has recently expired know, GM has a program that will partially pay for repairs (my rep said it was for "good" customers and the dealership did not have to participate if they did not want too) based on the amount of time/mileage your vehicle is out of warranty. My wife's fell into the still in mileage warranty but past 5 years... Anything from 1 day to 365 days out of warranty results in GM paying 60% of the cost (at the GM rate) and you paying the other 40%. Not a bad deal I guess given the alternative is to pay 100% of going rate cost... I'm not sure if I was supposed to mention this or not. He didn't say I couldn't though.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
See with GMPP i can Opt to extend the warranty farther if i like.  Mine will run out at 8x,xxx miles and or about a yr and a few months.  It will cost me a bunch and will not be as cheap as what i got the 4yrs 60K $0 deductable extened warranty for about $1000.  When it expires it will probably cost me 2 to 3 times as much to get covered to 100K 20K more miles and not sure if they offer past that. 

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
See with GMPP i can Opt to extend the warranty farther if i like.  Mine will run out at 8x,xxx miles and or about a yr and a few months.  It will cost me a bunch and will not be as cheap as what i got the 4yrs 60K $0 deductable extened warranty for about $1000.  When it expires it will probably cost me 2 to 3 times as much to get covered to 100K 20K more miles and not sure if they offer past that. 

I got the GMPP on mine too. Unfortunately the wife went with some other company and basically she got taken advantage of... Name of the company she used is Auto Advantage (now we know what the "advantage" part stands for). Highly recommend no one ever use these bastards. Between them and her salesperson she got took. Turns out her insurance ran concurrent with her GM warranty... what a crock of shyte. Lesson learned. Never let the wife buy an extended warranty!  :D

Kind of reminds me of the "mayhem" insurance commercials.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
IMHO

$700 for them to take care of it with a new turbo is a good deal.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »
Nope. Still on the original.

Yeah so am I on the original water pump. It's only Joe that's hard on pumps.   :poke:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »
Not true
Ive replaced the water pump on every vehicle we own
Except the sky.
Seems like that is a part no one makes well

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Crap!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Water pump?  Hmmmm.... 

Brazen- did the repairs go well?  New turbo seem to solve the problem?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Except the sky.

That was my point Dave and did you notice the  :poke:?

:D

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »
Actually now that I think of it I haven't changed a water pump on anything other than the 66 Coronet I had when I was a kid.   :yay:

Maybe I'm on borrowed time.   :idk:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
I too haven't had to replace any water pumps on any of my modern cars.  My truck had the original water pump when it was totaled at almost 190K miles.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
I once confused my water pump for a pump of another kind. Don't. It doesn't work.
Make the right choices now

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »
They had to have the turbo shipped in from Reno. Earlies it  could get here is today but most likely Monday so probably won't know 'til late Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
Got the Sky back. Turbo had a crack on the exhaust side. Service Rep. had a picture but he hit delete about the same time I told him to send it to my email... She runs just fine now!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
Just in time to sell
:(

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
Got the Sky back. Turbo had a crack on the exhaust side. Service Rep. had a picture but he hit delete about the same time I told him to send it to my email... She runs just fine now!

Convinient wasn't it?  Wonder if they used JB Weld?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »
I saw the picture and it was definately cracked. If they used JB Weld I hope they used the 12month/12k mile variety!  :D

If I had a picture of our turbo for reference I could show where the crack was. In addition the impeller was spinning freely with no resistance at all. I don't know much about turbos but that don't sound right to me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:17:16 PM by Brazen17 »

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
Just in time to sell
:(

I know. But the wife has owned it for 5 years now and is ready to move into something a bit more luxurious and I can't blame her. Kind of wished I could swap engines between her Red Line and my GXP! On a more positive note I may be able to keep my GXP afterall...  :D