Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Finally got my Sky! - Pennsylvania  (Read 13510 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Finally got my Sky! - Pennsylvania
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Noticed Crate Engine Depot now includes the GMPP pigtail in it's kit.  Previously the GMPP kit was installed via crimping into the GXP engine harness and there was several reported connection/performance issues where it being recommend techs solder instead of just using the crimping method in pre-pigtail GMPP kits.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:03:56 PM by ChopTop »

Offline The Carrier

• Master Tech
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
Welcome and congrats.  Think the primary reason folks choose GMPP was GM warranty, if it's out not sure there's not a compelling reason to consider Trifecta tune because it offers approximately 20? more HP.

Thanks ChopTop, et al.  From reading here and at Skyroadster.com, I gathered that the GMPP tune is more "conservative" than Trifeca and/or Westers.  I'm OK with that, assuming that it *might* have less chance of causing any engine damage.  Not saying that's necessarily true.

I'm completely new to modifying cars, and the most I've ever done is change the oil & filters in anything I've owned.  I read at least one thread that suggested (as a start) a high-flow cat, cold air intake, and a tune.  Is the GMPP cold air intake a good value?  Others that might be better?

For a tune, I know there is Trifecta, Westers and GMPP.  Any others and/or thoughts on which way to go?  I know that it is often a matter of preference & I don't want to start a 'flamewar', but I've got to ask anyway.   :tool:
Gawd, I LOVE this car!
2009 Sky Redline
Manual Trans
Leather
Spoiler
6 Disc Monsoon
Stock Setup

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
Thanks ChopTop, et al.  From reading here and at Skyroadster.com, I gathered that the GMPP tune is more "conservative" than Trifeca and/or Westers.  I'm OK with that, assuming that it *might* have less chance of causing any engine damage.  Not saying that's necessarily true.

I'm completely new to modifying cars, and the most I've ever done is change the oil & filters in anything I've owned.  I read at least one thread that suggested (as a start) a high-flow cat, cold air intake, and a tune.  Is the GMPP cold air intake a good value?  Others that might be better?

For a tune, I know there is Trifecta, Westers and GMPP.  Any others and/or thoughts on which way to go?  I know that it is often a matter of preference & I don't want to start a 'flamewar', but I've got to ask anyway.   :tool:
You can skip the intake for now, as it is really only of any benefit with a turbo upgrade.  A Solo-Performance high-flow catalytic is a solid bolt-on upgrade as long as it is accompanied by a tune.
My personal opinion on the tune is that you start with the GMPP, as me or Elff can load the tune for you so all you would be out is ~$100 on the sensors and connectors.  Let yourself get warmed up to that for now and figure out if you want more.  If so, HPTuners is the way to go.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
You know, I actually don't think anyone is getting that much more power than the GMPP tune on semi stock hardware.

Alot of people who got the Trifecta or Westers tune on pump gas [No E47, No E85 No Meth] ended up with 285-290hp at the rear wheels.
I believe most of those people had Hi Flow Cats

When you add a Hi Flow Cat to the GMPP tune, you end up at 285-290hp at the rear wheels
GMPP give you 265 HP at the rear wheels, add the 20-20HP from the Hi Flow cat and you are between 285-295HP at the rear wheels.

Somthing to ponder

Offline The Carrier

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
Thanks Josh/Elff.  Sounds like a good starting (and possibly ending) point.  I'll look into picking up the necessary hardware for the tune (very generous of you, Josh)!
Gawd, I LOVE this car!
2009 Sky Redline
Manual Trans
Leather
Spoiler
6 Disc Monsoon
Stock Setup

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »
When I had my solstice, I was running meth and had DDM tune it. Dave dynoed it at 320 to the rear wheels and that was with intake, exhaust, intercooler and ic pipes
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
Josh/Carrier

I can program any 2008 Sky, but do not have a license for a 2009.  It would require 2 HP Tuner credits [$50 each] for a total of $100 and we would need to find the 2009 5 speed GMPP tune to upload. 

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »

Primary reason I choose GMPP was vehicle was new and didn't want warranty issues, along with thinking the GMPP may be one of those GM products that becomes unavailable in the future.  Impression I've gotten from reading threads on the cold air intake (CAI) is that's it's basically noise add-on.  I believe that was due to confusion surrounding the  computer eventually learning back down to the GMPP 290HP (MT 340/AT 325), however CED website now says the GMPP disables the learn down feature.  So maybe the CAI does indeed bump those numbers up a little?

Basically look at any tune kit this way; if you hope/believe to have the vehicle a long time I'd say it's better to invest than not. 

I'd also suggest going Solo.  If you like a little louder than the OEM set up go with their cat-back system.  If you want louder include the free-flow catalytic convertor system.  And if you want obnoxious loud go with their race kit because the OEM turbo naturally doubles as a muffler.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
The tune does not learn down, but the intake on our car is not a bottle neck, so you get no performance benefit on mild upgrades.  You really need to push it before you can gain anything from the intake on our car due to the fact that the stock airbox works extremely well.
Turbos harvest exhaust gases to spin and the stock cat is a bottle neck.   So removing that bottle neck does add performance.

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
Josh/Carrier

I can program any 2008 Sky, but do not have a license for a 2009.  It would require 2 HP Tuner credits [$50 each] for a total of $100 and we would need to find the 2009 5 speed GMPP tune to upload. 

Ah. I have 2009 unlocked and the appropriate tune.  :cool: 

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Cool
Then we have half the Sky's covered in the State of PA
:D

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Finally got my Sky! - Pennsylvania
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
GMPP tune has been rumored to have a lot of knock / KR.  I never had the GMPP tune, so I can not prove that or show examples, just have read it. For what ever that is worth.

A quality aftermarket tuner can tune to a someone conservative power range (like the GMPP) with much cleaner tune. It's cheaper, can be adjusted at any time and helps support small business.

All this is assuming the warranty doesn't mean anything to you.
Make the right choices now

Offline The Carrier

• Master Tech
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
Interesting thoughts, all.  Seems like I might just start with the GMPP & see how that goes.  Maybe try Trifecta/Westers/HPTuners   as an experiment in the future (when I've earned enough "points" with the wife!).

Regarding an upgraded cat, I'll look at Solo and any competitors' products.  I'm guessing that a whole new exhaust will be needed to accommodate a wider cat pipe(?).  As for sound, I'd like a *little* more rumble than the stock exhaust, but I definitely want to stay away from "obnoxious" (I figure that's for V8s and bigger)
Gawd, I LOVE this car!
2009 Sky Redline
Manual Trans
Leather
Spoiler
6 Disc Monsoon
Stock Setup

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »
Interesting thoughts, all.  Seems like I might just start with the GMPP & see how that goes.  Maybe try Trifecta/Westers/HPTuners   as an experiment in the future (when I've earned enough "points" with the wife!).

Regarding an upgraded cat, I'll look at Solo and any competitors' products.  I'm guessing that a whole new exhaust will be needed to accommodate a wider cat pipe(?).  As for sound, I'd like a *little* more rumble than the stock exhaust, but I definitely want to stay away from "obnoxious" (I figure that's for V8s and bigger)

My thoughts exactly!  First, as one of the older members of this great forum one of your comments above caught my attention and as you get older it will be even more important... (when I've earned enough "points" with the wife!). 

Always do that because then you have more bargaining power, now back on topic... Carol and I had the Solo Mach exhaust installed at the North Carolina NASSM and it is definately a big upgrade from the stock exhaust...the rumble is perfect, a bit quieter than some of the others but the burble it produces is music to your ears!  Good luck in your selection. :drag:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Finally got my Sky! - Pennsylvania
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

The stock exhaust flows really well after the cat, especially on a relatively stock car. There are plenty of options for sound levels though. I would encourage you to seek out those around you and listen / experience the different versions. I was all set to get a new exhaust and then went to my first meet and greet.  When I heard the sounds coming from some of the cars, I decided stock was best for me. The cat change out is a solid performance upgrade that is definitely recommended for some increased ponies. If you know your going to do that, do it first, then tune.

Is warranty an issue for you?  What are you seeing for costs for the GMPP?

Make the right choices now

Offline The Carrier

• Master Tech
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
She's a 2009 that I bought used, so warranty isn't an issue for me.  Unless Josh is pulling my leg, he's offering the tune for my cost of the sensors and a trip to his neck of the woods.  Kinda hard to say no to that kind of goodwill!  Plus, my wife has an aunt in his area that we haven't visited in a while.

So the Solo (and/or other high flow) cats are compatible with the stock exhaust...sheepish grin...shows you what *I* know about cars!

Any meet and greets scheduled in range of southeastern PA?
Gawd, I LOVE this car!
2009 Sky Redline
Manual Trans
Leather
Spoiler
6 Disc Monsoon
Stock Setup

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
We usually do some runs in the mid Atlantic region once it warms up.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia