Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Norms Vented rear racing bumper/side fender vents/rear fascia diffuser  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
I have been plagued with brakes over heating and engine running hot while running HSAX. This past year I had 2  1st places out of 4 races, 2 races I lost my brakes from overheating during practice and could not compete.  One resulted in a nasty crash. I have ordered another extreme dimensions front end (currently have my stock front on so I could race).This time I am going to fabricate 4 inch brake vents to each side. Some of my engine lower vents to the radiator also need attention. I ordered the fender with side vents to help with the engine bay and racing rear bumper. I have asked Norm to custom fit the non racing fascia diffuser with center mount exhaust. Expect the parts in 4 weeks.I believe the engine bay and the rear bumper serves as a parachute and slows down the car . What do you think
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Norms Vented rear racing bumper/side fender vents/rear fascia diffuser
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
I believe the engine bay and the rear bumper serves as a parachute and slows down the car .
I have same hunch without anything proven.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:07 AM »
i have noticed that the hood on my GT looks like it gets pressure from the inside engine bay air at high speeds, but isn't this the case for all cars?
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
High pressure under the hood or low pressure above the hood ?

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
What brake pads/ brake setup are you using?  I don't think getting a bit more air directed in the general area of the brakes is going to do much if you aren't using racing pads or bigger rotors and calipers...
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
Here's a recent C7 air-tunnel video showing how the C7 manages air flow.
Around the 2:00 minute mark shows air entering the front & and excess drag exiting the hood vent.  2:39 mark is a static air management graphic.

2014 Stingray Revealed: EXTERIOR DESIGN | 2014 Corvette | Chevrolet

I understand that racing cars also have flat panels attached to the bottom of the entire car to maintain/manage air flow.

(post #24)
http://www.turbobricks.net/forums/showthread.php?s=693ff0914939f340e4258f833ab39e08&t=205127

If only Bernoulli hadn't written his law....

Sorry Charlie, the air going UNDER has the shorter distance than the air going OVER the car, the air going UNDER therefore goes SLOWER than the air taking the longer route up and over the hood, roof etc. which to meet up with the air going UNDER it must move FASTER.
As we all know there is an inverse relationship between fluid velocity and pressure---slow air= high pressure, fast air= low pressure.

Try again.
And do remember laws of nature.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
Do you have some regulation that prevents you from upgrading the brakes to something better?

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
A ducted radiator shroud out the wheel wells would probably do wonders for our cars.  I eventually plan on a front louverd belly pan to help pull the air out of the engine bay alot quicker. I already mocked it up when i first got the car and its sitting in the closet at work, just never got around to it since Im a lazy ass. Maybe this summer.

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
I have EDC rotors and racing brake pads and can not upgrade because it would give me more points and change my class.  You do not want engine heat going into the wheel wells, Norms side fender vents should improve air flow thru the radiator
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
You do not want engine heat going into the wheel wells

So race car designers are wrong?
2013 Grigio Abarth 500