Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 5x114 hub swap?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline droptopsf98

• Apprentice/Gofer
5x114 hub swap?
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
I read somewhere what WERKS offers it.  I saw a guy who basically took his hubs and drilled a 2nd bolt pattern into it to achieve a 5x114 so we can have some decent wheel options.  I'd love some CCWs but I just don't have 3k to dump into ONLY the wheels.   I've been searching around but didn't find anything real solid.  Obviously it'd have to be done by a reputable machine shop, but it seems like it could be more cost effective than buying CCW's or Forgestars.  (I don't really like any of the designs of the forgestars anyways)

Just curious of any input.  If WERKS does offer it, I didn't see it on their website?

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: 5x114 hub swap?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »
Best bet would be to give them a call.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
I looked into this when a friend of mine took on a project fitting C6 Z06 brakes on his Kappa.

The difference between 114.3 and 110 is 4.3 mm; divide that by two and the result is 2.15 mm, the needed distance a stock stud must be moved, obviously, outward.  This will reduce the amount of the land of the hub flange and although 2.15 mm seems small, it's relatively significant to the premium real estate of a Kappa hub flange.

I cannot remember anymore the measurement of the knurl diameter of the stock stud but I know that ARP carries other lug studs with a smaller knurl.  What does this mean ? This means with the smaller knurl diameter, the reduction in flange land can be minimized.  The result of my calculation showed, if I'm not mistaken, the reduction of the flange land closer to 1 mm.  I could accept this number more readily than 2.15 mm.

All it takes is to source the right studs (with smaller knurl diameter) and then have rotors and hubs drilled to 5x114.3. No need for a swap.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
It's tough man, good luck on your hub quest. Luckily, I don't mind the Forgestars so I'll probably be going that route.

You can also have a set of wheels redrilled by a machine shop. Finding a set with a high enough offset is then your only issue.

I believe a third option is to run a set of 5x112 wheels from the Bimmer crowd with PCD variation (wobble) bolts but I've not found anything concrete on that.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
BMW uses 5x120 PCD.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »
Yep, that'd be Mercedes (and Audi/VW).  Plenty of takeoff wheels to chose from on the Vortex

Offline droptopsf98

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:46:43 AM »
wobble lug nuts are definitely a new idea to me.  It does create some new options besides wheel adapters.  Thanks guys I'll look into that.  Plus then I can put my stock wheels back on if I ever want to real easy.

Also...Wobble lugs ok for occasional track use?  I usually do 1-2 open lap days a year.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
That question causes definite controversy similar to racing on redrilled wheels. I've never heard of any failures but I haven't done any in-depth searching. 

Personally, I'd probably risk it for autoX where I could check them frequently since it'd be quite the circumstance for a complete failure.  Luckily, I'd relegate the SSRs to R-comp duty if I ever found wheels I liked.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »
I looked into this when a friend of mine took on a project fitting C6 Z06 brakes on his Kappa.

The difference between 114.3 and 110 is 4.3 mm; divide that by two and the result is 2.15 mm, the needed distance a stock stud must be moved, obviously, outward.  This will reduce the amount of the land of the hub flange and although 2.15 mm seems small, it's relatively significant to the premium real estate of a Kappa hub flange.

I cannot remember anymore the measurement of the knurl diameter of the stock stud but I know that ARP carries other lug studs with a smaller knurl.  What does this mean ? This means with the smaller knurl diameter, the reduction in flange land can be minimized.  The result of my calculation showed, if I'm not mistaken, the reduction of the flange land closer to 1 mm.  I could accept this number more readily than 2.15 mm.

All it takes is to source the right studs (with smaller knurl diameter) and then have rotors and hubs drilled to 5x114.3. No need for a swap.

ARP has a good list of the wheel studs on their site with knurl diameters, lengths, etc.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
That's what I did; I don't remember the knurl diameter of the stock stud anymore.

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
I don't think changing the lug pattern will increase our options much.. Our cars have a relatively high offset (+55mm) and most 5x114 wheels are lower at +20 to +45. If you want to use a staggered wheel 9.5 to 10 you're going to need +55mm or higher to fit them under the fender.

It sucks that we have to custom order wheels but there aren't many alternatives, especially for those who want a staggered fitment.

Offline 2.4solstice06

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
Also OP, remember that if you modify your existing hub, and then your wheel bearing goes, it is a whole assembly, and you will have to get the new hub re-modified every time you need to replace a wheel bearing. Not that you'll be replacing wheel bearings every 20k (hopefully) but it is something to consider...

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
I run 35-mm offset wheels.

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
I run 35-mm offset wheels.

I'm guessing your wheels are less than 9" wide?

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
Yep, 8.5"