Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Feeler about Shifter Rings  (Read 21815 times)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
Re: Feeler about Shifter Rings
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
The vendor called me back today to talk about the design I sent him. Hopefully, he will have a sample for me next week.

Lucky, I've been emailing Rudy for a year and have had two responses back.  Its looked really promising in April then... no more response?

I'm in but its all about the price.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Finally, heard back from the fabricator today. Only got an estimate to produce 10. Price may go down if I order more. The price is $120 each, but doesn't include the socket head cap screws. I would estimate the screws to be an additional $5 to $10 plus the cost of packing/ shipping all the pieces once I get them. So, I would say it shouldn't cost more than $150 for everything. I'm not looking to make a profit, just to help out the community. I've asked if there is a sample I can use to check for fitment and will take pictures once I have one so you all can see how it looks and fits together. I think the price is reasonable. What do you think?
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »
Ring going to be composite or hopefully alloy?  Not keen on the dimple/bolts mainly because nothing in the interior has that detail.

What I don't understand about Aftershock why the site is up but sells no parts, it must cost Rudy money to continuing to have someone host the site?  I contacted him a few times for his ducktail spoiler but never got a response.  Then was told RKSports produced it so called them and they told me the order had to go through Aftershock.  Which is why I pounced on buying Madmods Aftershock spoiler because I couldn't order one.  Shame because I think more people would order them if they could buy them directly from RK. 

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
I had them fabricate the rings out of aluminum.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
For aluminum, $120.00 seems reasonable. I'm ok with dimples since I have other parts with them (opening myself on that one). Just depends on fit and look but still interested.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
There wasn't enough interest in the aluminum shifter ring so I'm going a different route to try and source a replacement shifter ring without having to fabricate something new. I bought a shifter ring from a gen 4 Dodge Viper on Ebay for $25 shipped. I'll attempt to fit it to the car when it comes in.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
Great idea!  Do you know if it's a similar size?  Or just hoping until it arrives and you can check?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
Great idea!  Do you know if it's a similar size?  Or just hoping until it arrives and you can check?

I don't know. The Ebay description and any sources I found on the internet didn't specify I.D. and O.D. of the Viper ring. I'll have to measure it when it comes in the mail. I'm already prepared with the thought that I may end up having to drill and install rivnuts in order to fasten the new ring down to the shifter housing.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »
Interested.. Let me know.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
Viper shifter ring came in today. I was surprised when I picked it up and took it out of its package. It's steel. Looks promising. I don't have my digital calipers here at home. So, here's a rough measurement with a tape measure just to get an idea of its size.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
It's going to require some molding/ bondo, but it'll work. Probably going to have to get a new shifter boot as well.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Looks promising, what the back of it look like?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Looks promising, what the back of it look like?

Hollowed out with two alignment pins. Pretty solid construction.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
I'd be in favour of a stock style replacement - the whole interior is plasticky crap and tends to break - just wait until these bits have a decade more age on them. Not a fan of the larger studded version though - puts me too much in mind of a bulldog with spiked collar.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
How does the boot attach. Is there an inner ring?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 07:51:51 AM »
How does the boot attach. Is there an inner ring?

On the Viper, the shifter boot has holes in it that match the ring's hole pattern and extends out to underneath the ring. If we're going to make this a viable replacement we'll have to do the same thing. I'll probably end up using a gasket punch set like this: http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-HOLLOW-LEATHER-GASKET/dp/B000Q7AVL0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392378488&sr=8-2&keywords=gasket+punch+set   to punch the holes in the shifter boot. I have an odd feeling that my shifter boot from JPM will not be large enough. So, I've been looking at other shifter boots as a replacement.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »
Why not use a Viper boot?

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Is this the same diameter as the Solstice ring? (I'm away from home so can't measure myself)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »
Is this the same diameter as the Solstice ring? (I'm away from home so can't measure myself)

The measurements that were given to me for the Solstice ring are 6.75" O.D. and 5-7/8" I.D. The Viper ring is a bit smaller @ approx. 6.5" O.D. and 5.0" I.D.

So, an adapter or fiberglass work would still need to be done to make it work for the Solstice crowd. I was thinking that the easiest approach for the Solstice is to make 2 "adapter rings" @ 7" O.D. and 5-7/8" I.D. made of 1/8" thick aluminum. The upper adapter ring would sit underneath the Viper trim ring. The second adapter ring would sit inside the shifter housing and have rivnuts installed to capture the hex head cap screw hardware necessary for mounting. Basically, the new setup would attach by "sandwiching" the OEM shifter housing between the rings.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:42:37 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
OK thanks.  But that may still work on a Sol. The dash hole is smaller than the ring (which overlaps), so it may well be OK with just one inside adaptor.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »
I found a Camaro inferno orange shifter boot. I ordered it to see if it matches. I have to check measurments tonight.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
Helios, what is the outer dimension on the two alignment pins?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
Helios, what is the outer dimension on the two alignment pins?

The alignment pins are 180* out from each other. So, @ 12 and 6 o'clock or however we need to orient it for mounting. Each pin is 3/8" in from the outer edge. One pin looks to be 1/4" in diameter and the other looks like a #10. They could always be cut off with a Dremel tool if they prove to be problematic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:43:28 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Sorry from 12 to 6 what is the outer measurement? I'm wondering if the pins would fall into the dash or if you would need to drill holes to fit.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.