Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Feeler about Shifter Rings  (Read 21813 times)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Re: Feeler about Shifter Rings
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Sorry from 12 to 6 what is the outer measurement? I'm wondering if the pins would fall into the dash or if you would need to drill holes to fit.

The O.D. of the ring is approx. 6.5". So, if the alignment pins are 3/8" in from the outer edge then the alignment pins are @ a 5.75" diameter. Holes shouldn't need to be drilled into the shifter housing of the Solstice. I have a friend close by that has a Solstice. I've been meaning to catch up to her to see how well this ring fits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:38:33 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
The O.D. of the ring is approx. 6.5". So, if the alignment pins are 1/2" in from the outer edge then the alignment pins are @ a 6" diameter. Holes shouldn't need to be drilled into the shifter housing of the Solstice. I have a friend close by that has a Solstice. I've been meaning to catch up to her to see how well this ring fits.

Helios, I think your math is wrong. If the pins are across from each other at 12 and 6 as described and they are each a half inch in, it reduces the measurement a full inch. But, don't take my word for it. I can even draw a circle.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
GJ the propper way to dimension the pin location would be to call out the distance between the pin center points and then the diameter of the pins.  That being said, I too don't understand where the pins are located based on Helios description because he could also be talking about a diameter tangent to the outside edge of the pins.  :idk:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
Helios, I think your math is wrong. If the pins are across from each other at 12 and 6 as described and they are each a half inch in, it reduces the measurement a full inch. But, don't take my word for it. I can even draw a circle.

Doh! Yeah, you're right. Anyway, I also shouldn't have used a tape measure with a big metal clip on the end that's loose. It threw off my measurement. I measured again and each pin is actually 3/8" in from the O.D. edge. So, the diameter from pin center to pin center is 5.75". I corrected my earlier posts.

GJ the propper way to dimension the pin location would be to call out the distance between the pin center points and then the diameter of the pins.  That being said, I too don't understand where the pins are located based on Helios description because he could also be talking about a diameter tangent to the outside edge of the pins.  :idk:

I was measuring to pin centers. Sorry, I didn't specify.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:45:50 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
Went for it and purchased the Viper shifter ring on ebay. We'll see how it turns out.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »
Remember... Photos, or it didn't happen.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »
The Viper ring arrived. The two pins fit just inside our dash with about a 1/4 inch (+/-) in movement. I have not placed bolts yet to see how to anchor them in. Weekend project. The camaro boot is close in color. If I had to do it over with this ring I would have ordered the viper boot from the same company with the brazen color leather. $28. for the boot and $15.00 for the ring ($25.00 with shipping). The Camaro boot I will need to cut it back but it is do-able and the top of the boot is too large. I had to zip tie the top to make it fit with the JPM shifter.

Ring in place.

Bad photo of the Brazen boot.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Looks pretty good. It looks like the screw holes sit on the edge of where the opening ends in the shifter housing.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
I thought about changing to a shifter ring, too.
As I own a GT, I have to do some work on the fascia, I know...

BUT: How small could the ring be? I wonder if it would be possible to install the Audi TT 8N Shifter rings, there are some cool mods avaible for these rings, including a "lighting" ring to be placed underneath the shifter ring. (Which is made of polished aluminium and looks awesome  :cool:) But if I got it right, the ring has an 4-1/2inch I.D.
Do you think that`s enough "space" for our shifter?

Napi.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
How small could the ring be? I wonder if it would be possible to install the Audi TT 8N Shifter rings, there are some cool mods avaible for these rings, including a "lighting" ring to be placed underneath the shifter ring. (Which is made of polished aluminium and looks awesome  :cool:) But if I got it right, the ring has an 4-1/2inch I.D.
Do you think that`s enough "space" for our shifter?

I had Madmods Audi TT ring that lit up but the ring was too small for my taste. The LED's and the plastic were destroyed when I received it. You would need to build up from the OEM ring, use the inner ring as well to support the audi ring. The standard shifter will not work and JPM shifter that was used was custom from JPM for this. Actually, Exhibit13 is selling the shifter that was used on the BB (I sold to him to get a standard JPM shifter). I have the ostrich boot (tan) that was used and the TT ring. If you are wanting to try this route, I'd sell what I have for it.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Why doesn't the OEM-shifter work?!

Thanks.
Napi.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
The OEM shaft was too thick to get into 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Here is the size difference to the standard JPM shifter. It had a thin shaft and a bend to compensate getting into the gears.

Here is what it looked like on Madmods car.

Here is to note the size difference on the OEM to Audi TT ring.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »
I cut down the shift boot and it appears to be there is too much leather. I went ahead and ordered a viper shift boot in the brazen leather with black stitching. I should have next week and will post pics then. I look to use black bolts for the ring and paint the ring brazen. Also considered black ring too. I just dont have much that keeping it silver would make it look good. Thoughts?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
New Viper shifter boot came in. Custom made for $25.00 with shipping. Nice work. We'll see tonight how it fits.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Looks quite Good!

Would you mind sharing the place to buy with us? :-)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Fit will be perfect. I will just need to figure the best way to bolt it down. The allen bolts I used and the two pins slide right in. I will paint the ring tomorrow. I think I will try the Brazen first. Pics below:

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline LRuch

• Tech
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
Looking good I like the aluminum look of the ring . :yay:

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2014, 07:57:54 PM »
Looks good, cdflint. I think the best option to bolt it down is to have an aluminum ring underneath with rivnuts. You could make a ring from MDF and embed regular nuts and epoxy them them in place. Maybe I'm over thinking the solution, but I'm glad we could finally figure out an affordable solution for shifter rings.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
For the Solstice boomerang, the set up is easier. So here is the write up.

Parts:
Viper Ring - ebay $25.00 shipped
Viper shifter boot - ebay $25.00 shipped
rubber mat - Pepboys 5.00
6 black allen key bolts m6x1.0, 25mm - Pepboys but found they were cheaper at Lowes
12 hex nuts m6  - Lowes
6 smaller metal washers - Lowes
6 larger metal washers - Lowes

Little over $60.00 to do this project less the JPM shifter.

First the boot needs a ring:
To attach to it,  I placed the Viper ring on the rubber mat (black) and traced an inner line and outer line. Cut the mat until it fit underneath the ring without seeing it from the sides. It has a groove on the outside so it slides inside the groove. Using a hand held hole punch I punched holes where the two pins are. Then made marks where each hole is on the ring and punched those holes.

Next, attach the boot to the new mat. I set the boot over the mat ring and stapled it on. Pressing the staples down hard to make tight. The boot is precut to see where the holes line up. From there it is ready to attach to the ring.

Setting in place:
I used the allen bolts through and locked down with the smaller washers and hex nuts. Once tightened, the nuts clear the ring of the boomerang just fine. To attached to the boomerang, you need unclip from its setting. Unbolt the boomerang handle and unclip the bottom portion around the shifter just over the radio so it is enough to get your hands underneath. Next make sure your JPM shifter is attached less the knob. Make sure you know your height setting for the knob. Now set the ring down to desired placement (bolt pattern on the boomerang). Use the larger washer from underneath and bolt down. The washers clear the area of the shifter but overlap the boomerang to make  it tight. I should have added a rubber washer too to add protection to the boomerang and possible vibration (not tested yet). Re-clip the boomerang down, re-attach the handle and then find your shift knob height. Adjust the shift knob ring perch (I don't know the right name for it) to the knob to lock the knob in place and you are done.

Pics later today once I've cleaned up the area.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
Glad it worked out for you. Still trying to finish up the one I have.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
Painted and complete.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
Oh yeah! That looks real good. Did you switch the hex head cap screws to a black oxide finish or did you just paint them? I will probably go with black oxide myself.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »
It is the Black oxide. I did see some anodized black ones on ebay but this was enough to make me happy.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100